[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dexter71

Reaction score
no, once it is expanded you cannot decrease it's capacity. data integrity will be messed up.
if you don't mind, just leave it in there, upgrade the remaining 3tb drives slowly to larger capacities.

Thanks Bro

So for SHR, to maxmize capacity do I have to use the same or lower size HDD?

So now given that this volume has 5 HDD in 3TBs and 1 HDD in 4TB, to maximize SHR usable capacity I should upgrade to 4TBs. Am I right?

Thanks

lionelfoo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am thinking of getting a Synology 413J to backup my photos..... Was actually offered 413j at $380 isit a good price? or should I grab another model?

CrazyBlue

Reaction score
Just got my synology set up - first NAS haha.

What do you all normally suggest for storage management? dividing the volumes into one large volume? volume for music/games/photos?
volumes for each user?
volume for guest?

any best practice methodologies you guys use?

midustouch

Reaction score
It's better to sign up for a Gmail account and use their smtp servers to send emails from the NAS. If your intention is to use the NAS as an email server, you will need a business broadband plan. For home Internet connections, AFAIK ISP do not provide reverse DNS lookups as the IPs allocated are dynamic. For commercial plans, there will be some charges and monthly payments involved to reserve a range of reverse DNS IPs. Hope that helps.

I bought a
DS415+ 2 weeks before Sitex in Sim Lim (and apparently it's still cheaper than buying at Sitex LOL).
It's currently running 3 x 4TB in RAID 5.
I've set up mail server on the NAS, but my mail are being delivered to people's junk inbox due to the lack of reverse DNS.
I don't have a static IP and I'm using dynamic dns. Is it possible to setup reverse DNS while using dynamic dns?
Anyone knows how to obtain/configure reverse DNS from Singtel?

tech_oasis

Reaction score
Setup my Synology 214se and I must say I like the GUI. Though I've encountered a strange problem not sure if it's a user or equipment issue. I've created the MyDs login and able to login into Synology website. However not able to login into MyDs on my NAS this is quite frustrating since I can't creat a QuickConnect and access many features. Sent an email to Synology tech support but I've yet to hear from them. Any idea how long it takes before they reply? Will be calling my local distro for help.

Desmond_

High Honorary Member
Reaction score
I bought a DS415+ 2 weeks before Sitex in Sim Lim (and apparently it's still cheaper than buying at Sitex LOL).
It's currently running 3 x 4TB in RAID 5.
I've set up mail server on the NAS, but my mail are being delivered to people's junk inbox due to the lack of reverse DNS.
I don't have a static IP and I'm using dynamic dns. Is it possible to setup reverse DNS while using dynamic dns?
Anyone knows how to obtain/configure reverse DNS from Singtel?

why not just get a cheap hosting company to host your e-mail :s22:

Gribber

Banned
Reaction score
Setup my Synology 214se and I must say I like the GUI. Though I've encountered a strange problem not sure if it's a user or equipment issue. I've created the MyDs login and able to login into Synology website. However not able to login into MyDs on my NAS this is quite frustrating since I can't creat a QuickConnect and access many features. Sent an email to Synology tech support but I've yet to hear from them. Any idea how long it takes before they reply? Will be calling my local distro for help.

3-5 days. Their support is kinda bad but once they started conversing with you, it will be fast.

I do not understand why people are still using quickconnect.
Do learn to perform portforward instead, it will do you better in the long run

sHrike

Reaction score
no, once it is expanded you cannot decrease it's capacity. data integrity will be messed up.
if you don't mind, just leave it in there, upgrade the remaining 3tb drives slowly to larger capacities.

Yah raid or shr is always messy...experienced once..never used again...raid is not backup..and home users dun need to use raid.
Controller spolit , that 's it.

Last edited:

sHrike

Reaction score

Yah raid or shr is always messy...experienced once..never used again...raid is not backup..and home users dun need redundacy. It far simpler to do copy n paste for recovery when the disks fail. U can lose data when ur nas fails...and recovery is MESSY

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yah raid or shr is always messy...experienced once..never used again...raid is not backup..and home users dun need redundacy. It far simpler to do copy n paste for recovery when the disks fail. U can lose data when ur nas fails...and recovery is MESSY

How are you going to copy and paste when ur disks failed. RAID is not backup, but can u be more diligent doing backup than a machine? Recover is not messy when you know how to do it. Don't blame the technique when you can't master it. RAID and automated backup is the gold standard for data availability for enterprises and applies across all grounds

Unless you have a better approach, your reasoning is flawed.

Gribber

Banned
Reaction score
Yah raid or shr is always messy...experienced once..never used again...raid is not backup..and home users dun needredun

Totally flawed. Sometimes, it will be better keeping quiet.

teadee

Reaction score
why not just get a cheap hosting company to host your e-mail :s22:
I've tried out some email hosting by some of my web host, some is a bit slow (email takes some time to send out). And also if I can host a email server on my NAS, why not haha 😄

alphonse

Reaction score
I've tried out some email hosting by some of my web host, some is a bit slow (email takes some time to send out). And also if I can host a email server on my NAS, why not haha 😄

The last time I tried using the NAS as an email server, the mails were all listed as spam cause the dynamic IP addresses given by SingNet were in those internet spam database (eg. DNSBL Information - Spam Database Lookup) which people are using.

Was thinking of using Viewquest for the email server as they have the fix IP address. But haven't confirm with them if it is possible.

iamnagel

Reaction score
I'm exploring upgrading from my current WD MyBookLive to a Synology NAS.

Because it's primarily to store my photos, I read up on the photo station app and it seems to have lots of problem with creating thumbnails at reasonable speeds. I have tons of photos and I'm kinda worried about this.

Has photo station app be updated to address this problem?

sHrike

Reaction score
How are you going to copy and paste when ur disks failed. RAID is not backup, but can u be more diligent doing backup than a machine? Recover is not messy when you know how to do it. Don't blame the technique when you can't master it. RAID and automated backup is the gold standard for data availability for enterprises and applies across all grounds

Unless you have a better approach, your reasoning is flawed.
Precisely as you said RAID is not backup.i am using free file sync to copy my contents from Nas to ext hdd. If either one fails, i shall copy and paste. I run it as a batch job to regularly backup....imho...it is simple and effective for home user...what i meant by messy is that...data may not be easily recoverable for the home user like me...say if the nas fails and the model of nas has eol...what next? Since u are the expert, yes you may know how to recover the raid disks...but it will take a few more steps and knowledge. I will jus copy and paste from my back up one step. Of course this fulfill my requirement for a HOME backup. I am not running a datacenter here...jus my two cents

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.