[Maylyn's Review] ASUS RT-AC87U

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Short Fix List as follows

Mac OS X users are strongly encouraged to upgrade to this beta release.

Update 12/17/2014 - Beta Release - Build 3562

Beta Release - Build 3562

1. This is not on the support site and servers for auto update.

2. Short Fix List

Fixes:

[update] Latest Quantenna SDK v36.7.0.31 to resolve OSX 10.10 5Ghz compatibility issue.

[update] openssl 1.0.0o

[update] support Korea power table (5G wireless)

[update] usb modem: support ZTE MF880

[update] usb modem: support Royaltek Q110

[update] usb modem: support ZTE MF823

[update] usb modem: update the QMI procedure

[Update] update FAQ link

[update] Add alert on progressing bar while DUT fw upgrade in progress

[bugfix][bwdpi] fix bugs

[bugfix][USB] fix UI issues

[bugfix] fix IPv6 related issues

[bugfix] fix minidlna related issues

[bugfix] fix IGMP related issues

Update

1. Expect public release in early Q1.

Last edited:

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
As usual, nothing new :D 1Gbps symmetrical wired speed :)

Do note that I have 8 wireless devices whacking my 2.4GHz/5GHz

Last edited:

arachnida

Reaction score
Dear davemishsr,

Unofficial beta firmware: RT-AC87U_3.0.0.4_378_3562

*Recommended Hard reset your router.

Feel free to test this unofficial beta firmware and feedback to me :)

Best regard,
JK

Hi,

can anyone confirm if the "kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address" problem is solved in this beta?

Regards,
arachnida

ASUS@SG

Suspended
Reaction score
Hi,

can anyone confirm if the "kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address" problem is solved in this beta?

Regards,
arachnida

Dear arachnida,

Why don't you test it yourself?

Best regard,
JK

arachnida

Reaction score
Dear arachnida,

Why don't you test it yourself?

Best regard,
JK

Hi JK,

because I cannot afford to lose my security camera recordings during daytime. I have 5 cams recording to a Synology NAS, testing causes gaps in the recording.

I bought this router especially to have a faster upload to see my cams when I'm outside, but the bug causes my recordings to fail at random times. Not being able to solve these issues will force me to revert back to my old router. I can only experiment when the security cams are not vital, in other words at night time.

Regards,
arachnida

ASUS@SG

Suspended
Reaction score
Hi JK,

because I cannot afford to lose my security camera recordings during daytime. I have 5 cams recording to a Synology NAS, testing causes gaps in the recording.

I bought this router especially to have a faster upload to see my cams when I'm outside, but the bug causes my recordings to fail at random times. Not being able to solve these issues will force me to revert back to my old router. I can only experiment when the security cams are not vital, in other words at night time.

Regards,
arachnida

Dear Arachnida,

This firmware just release recently and i have been testing for 2 hours without getting

kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 error.

So i think i can't give you answer right now, until i have fully tested the firmware.

Best regard,
JK

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Some UI changes observed ~ on 378.3562 beta firmware

NAT - No more CTF 1 mode

Dual WAN - Load Balancing

Will be needing someone/s to re-verify whether load balancing is working or not. :) Looking good without LAN1 selection tho :p

Sorry I'm in the mist of revamping part of my networks to 10Gbps LAN and 10Gbps switches and MikroTik CCR :o while awaiting for my ASRock X99 WS-E/10G to arrive :)

Last edited:

arachnida

Reaction score
:mad: The problem with the loop of packets getting my LAN down is still there in this beta release. I updated the WIFI AP only, the main internet FW router was not updated but after a while the AP router LAN LEDs started to blink very fast, an indication the loop is started. Also the log is cluttered up with:

Dec 18 17:18:22 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Dec 18 17:18:22 kernel: net_ratelimit: 177 callbacks suppressed

I will return both routers to the shop as it seems ASUS is in no hurry to the solve this issue that AFAIK is long outstanding. Both my camera recordings as well as the music by the SonoS system are affected, also surfing is slowed down.

I feel like being treated by ASUS as a beta tester for their unfinished products. I don't mind beta testing, but this "feature" was not mentioned on the box when I bought these rather expensive routers. I don't want to beta test critical equipment on my network. It is not a toy like my Pebble watch, I do like to beta test gadgets like that.

Back to Zyxel or Watchguard, not so many features but at least they do the basic stuff right.

ASUS@SG

Suspended
Reaction score
:mad: The problem with the loop of packets getting my LAN down is still there in this beta release. I updated the WIFI AP only, the main internet FW router was not updated but after a while the AP router LAN LEDs started to blink very fast, an indication the loop is started. Also the log is cluttered up with:

Dec 18 17:18:22 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Dec 18 17:18:22 kernel: net_ratelimit: 177 callbacks suppressed

I will return both routers to the shop as it seems ASUS is in no hurry to the solve this issue that AFAIK is long outstanding. Both my camera recordings as well as the music by the SonoS system are affected, also surfing is slowed down.

I feel like being treated by ASUS as a beta tester for their unfinished products. I don't mind beta testing, but this "feature" was not mentioned on the box when I bought these rather expensive routers. I don't want to beta test critical equipment on my network. It is not a toy like my Pebble watch, I do like to beta test gadgets like that.

Back to Zyxel or Watchguard, not so many features but at least they do the basic stuff right.

Dear arachnida,

Please provide me your system log file.

Did you hard reset your router after update the unofficial beta firmware?

Best regard,
JK

bratpig

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dear @Asus,

It may be a noob question but it's being lingering in my mind. I'm currently on N56U and Singtel 300Mbs plan.

Will purchasing the AC87U improve my LAN performance? I do not really need any wireless upgrade as I only have 3 phones and 3 tablets at home, which were used as a leisure thing.

I do mainly streamings

ArcticCheetah

Banned
Reaction score
Dear @Asus,

It may be a noob question but it's being lingering in my mind. I'm currently on N56U and Singtel 300Mbs plan.

Will purchasing the AC87U improve my LAN performance? I do not really need any wireless upgrade as I only have 3 phones and 3 tablets at home, which were used as a leisure thing.

I do mainly streamings
No.
Unless you upgrade all your client devices to match AC standard

arachnida

Reaction score
Dear arachnida,

Please provide me your system log file.

Did you hard reset your router after update the unofficial beta firmware?

Best regard,
JK

Hi JK,

The AP router is now switched off during the daytime. I will make a log later this evening and post the log. I came from Merlin FW, used reset button at back and rebooted.

Regards,
arachnida

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.