learning japanese

ameliatan

Reaction score
V informative thread! Thanks to all who have contributed! Hope all of you did well for JLPT. :)
Had my first E1 lesson yesterday; going to be a steep learning curve.:o

Ah_keong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
V informative thread! Thanks to all who have contributed! Hope all of you did well for JLPT. :)
Had my first E1 lesson yesterday; going to be a steep learning curve.:o

Good luck and enjoy!
Everyone has different pace and learning curve.
So step back and relax!
:D

unfinished07

Master Member
Reaction score
My placement test sensei is my N2 prep class sensei, kanai sensei.
On placement test = spoke to me like mother teaching a child, slow and steady.
In N2 prep class = 3hrs of non-stop GPMG.

she talks the fastest in Ikoma during my time. duno about other teachers now.

stacipher

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For a beginner that has almost zero knowledge of Japanese, which is a good school to start? JCS or Ikoma?

yuukiXkaname

Reaction score
Anyone knows if I want to self study for N5, which books should I buy?

Am not a complete beginner. Can understand a bit of Japanese here and there(basically my knowledge is all over the place). :s22:

Last edited:

Curry_Puff

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone knows if I want to self study for N5, which books should I buy?

Am not a complete beginner. Can understand a bit of Japanese here and there(basically my knowledge is all over the place). :s22:

みんなの日本語 初級I (Minna no Nihongo Beginner I) should probably suffice. Finish all 25 lessons and you should be able to pass N5.

ochibi89

Reaction score
any recommendation of story book to read for beginner? i just bought toto chan in japanese to try it out...

Bryson

Reaction score
Hello guys, I'm currently in NS now so only free during the weekends. Been reading up on "Get Started in Japanese" book to get myself started in the language. Want to learn from either a Japanese native or maybe someone's who's very familiarise so that I can communicate with instead of just listening from the cd rom included.. Don't have any japanese friends so would like to try my luck out here. Thank you!

Ah_keong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hello guys, I'm currently in NS now so only free during the weekends. Been reading up on "Get Started in Japanese" book to get myself started in the language. Want to learn from either a Japanese native or maybe someone's who's very familiarise so that I can communicate with instead of just listening from the cd rom included.. Don't have any japanese friends so would like to try my luck out here. Thank you!

I would recommend you to join the weekend class.
I also started self-learning during my NS days and went to join a elementary class in the CC on weekend class to brush up my writing then.
Good luck!

:D

unfinished07

Master Member
Reaction score
get used to her speed.
she teaches N2, right? if you are in N2 already, you should have a certain level of japanese proficiency already. and that is about the normal speed japanese usually speaks.
good training for everyone to get used to.
no point the teachers speaks slowly and clearly, and when we talk to japanese outside school, we get a shock at how they usually speak.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.