[Maylyn's Review] ASUS RT-AC87U

ckh98258

Reaction score
First time doing this on a router .... if I plug in one HDD into the router for family sharing, which section of the setting should I be touching on to enable sharing read/write from the HDD?

legolaz

Reaction score
Just tested the new firmware. Below are my comments thus far:
1) Dl speed has dropped to 50-60Mbps while upload speed is double or triple the dl speed.
2) connectivity is good so far but than its only been a day.

oric1

Reaction score
Just tested the new firmware. Below are my comments thus far:
1) Dl speed has dropped to 50-60Mbps while upload speed is double or triple the dl speed.
2) connectivity is good so far but than its only been a day.

you need to forget your old network (SSID) and then reconnect to the same SSID again. reboot your devices after that.

legolaz

Reaction score
yup. I have done that already. Did a hard reset by press and holding wps, turn off router and than back on while holding wps for another 30 secs.

I am currently using it in AP mode. Is there any difference? I tried in router mode too but it doesn't make any difference.

oric1

Reaction score

legolaz

Reaction score
About the same actually........

Anyway, I have a few devices and below are the results. Dun really understand why it is that way though.

1) iPad (latest) - 60 dl 150 upl
2) iPad (previous version) - same as latest iPad.
3) asus ux32v laptop - 80 dl 150 upl
4) carbon x1- 300 dl 350 upl
5) iPhone 6 - 60 dl 130 upl

I believe new iPhone 6 and iPad are all running AC while asus ux32v is running N network card and old iPad is also using N network.
Carbon X1 is running AC network card.

However, only my carbon X1 is achieving the correct speeds. Any ideas?

oric1

Reaction score
About the same actually........

Anyway, I have a few devices and below are the results. Dun really understand why it is that way though.

1) iPad (latest) - 60 dl 150 upl
2) iPad (previous version) - same as latest iPad.
3) asus ux32v laptop - 80 dl 150 upl
4) carbon x1- 300 dl 350 upl
5) iPhone 6 - 60 dl 130 upl

I believe new iPhone 6 and iPad are all running AC while asus ux32v is running N network card and old iPad is also using N network.
Carbon X1 is running AC network card.

However, only my carbon X1 is achieving the correct speeds. Any ideas?

Perhaps you want to do screenshot of your router 5GHz settings and post it here so that others can help check for you. You problem is only the 5GHz, right?

ASUS@SG

Suspended
Reaction score
Unofficial beta firmware: RT-AC87U_3.0.0.4_378_3754

* This is unofficial beta firmware and you may choose not to update the firmware.

Download: http://bit.ly/1Eow3jL

Feedback bug - Please PM me

Thank you

Best regard,
JK

Last edited:

legolaz

Reaction score
Still on the previous firmware. Problem that has occurred in the last few hours is that using my ipad and iPhone, I will still have connection to wifi but am unable to the internet. Will only work when I turn off and on it. After a few minutes, the same problem will occur again. Tried turning off and on the router already and its fine so far. Will try the new firmware now.

Not sure how to paste my settings here.

poor_poor

Reaction score
Still on the previous firmware. Problem that has occurred in the last few hours is that using my ipad and iPhone, I will still have connection to wifi but am unable to the internet. Will only work when I turn off and on it. After a few minutes, the same problem will occur again. Tried turning off and on the router already and its fine so far. Will try the new firmware now.

Which iOs build are you using?

arachnida

Reaction score

Can you please check your log file to see if the network hasn't been flooded with lots of traffic? I mean some message like this: "kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address"

I my case I can surf for about 5 minutes and then the LED on the router starts to flash very fast, an indication the loop has started and soon after that I can not connect to my NAS, IP cams nor internet and also my SonoS gets disconnected.

arachnida

Reaction score
Just checked and indeed I am getting the same msg as you mentioned? What should I do?

Buy another router or wait untill Asus releases a new firmware that fixes the bug.

Next week I will return the 2 routers back to the shop as the product doesn't even do the basic stuff a good router should be able to do. This product is still in beta level.

legolaz

Reaction score
Could you try disable NAT acceleration via this URL?
http://192.168.1.1/Advanced_SwitchCtrl_Content.asp

Best regard,
JK

Thanks mate. Have done so. Will monitor and update again.
Fyi, I am using router in AP mode and using the latest firmware u posted yesterday.

When I tried my iPhone today I needed to reconnect to wifi again. It was connected to the wifi but there was no internet. I couldn't even connect to the router IP.

Is there anything I'm particular I supposed to monitor? Thx.

Last edited:

trichard

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sorry just asking here anyway going to sell off can pm me .... I wanted tongive a try..

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.