Standard Chartered - Only Online Trading in town with no minimum commission

Status
Not open for further replies.

platopus

Reaction score
yesterday, I sold off all the green counters I have in SCB, just holding 3 more counters now that are in the red.
Will use this platform and find another place where I can park it. a bit sian though. thinking of having to pay custody fees, cause I mainly only buy ETFs, gold and silver etfs

platopus

Reaction score
The day we should be worried about scb is when ho Ching sell her 18% stake to other buyers, etc.. China banks.

As long as Temasek is in scb, it will be okay

Carnesir

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The day we should be worried about scb is when ho Ching sell her 18% stake to other buyers, etc.. China banks.

As long as Temasek is in scb, it will be okay

Yesterday sold all my counters at nett gain anyway. In 3 days I will receive my balance and will transfer all out to other banks.

Will trade with scb again once this fiasco is over.

U can say i over reacting but if a bank in trouble they are usually the first to say everything is all right but behind the scenes leave u to die first. Happen so many times before liao.

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
wah liao, now they using template replies on facebook to answer queries posted on their fan page le

anfielder

Master Member
Reaction score
to be safe, i have even transfer $ out of scb for now. You never know if the bank will run road, ask for bail out. Their business aint doing good.

for now i will just keep whatever shares i have with them.

They aren't even anywhere close to making losses yet. Still quite profitable internationally (just less so than before, when profit growth was strong). And they are doing pretty well in Singapore.

felixleong

Banned
Reaction score
Yesterday sold all my counters at nett gain anyway. In 3 days I will receive my balance and will transfer all out to other banks.

Will trade with scb again once this fiasco is over.

U can say i over reacting but if a bank in trouble they are usually the first to say everything is all right but behind the scenes leave u to die first. Happen so many times before liao.

ya wise move

even if the deposits up to 50,000 is insured, but when really kanna wouldn't get back the $$ immediately one.. might take 1-2 years for processing

same for your stocks.. in the news it clearly states that their equity department not making $$$ at all, if loss making how to survive long unless management can turn it around, if they close retail equity down... SGX come in to help, will also need months for them to arrange another house to take over everything, all this kinda delay means time value of $$ and u might not be able to exit your positions during the cross over phase

doody_

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Don't be too paranoid... Some concern about SCB online trading platform is warranted after that news, but SCB closing down in SG? Do you think MAS gives 50k insurance for all deposits so easily? Singapore is a financial hub and if a bank closes down just like that without warning, don't think we have any more face and reputation to continue our financial services business....

geraldd

Master Member
Reaction score
I am a new investor, was looking to use the sc platform, now should I use other platforms?

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
be patient. Unless you got a trade you die die need to make asap, then try dbsv, cimb. preferably cash upfront, lower comm.

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Don't be too paranoid... Some concern about SCB online trading platform is warranted after that news, but SCB closing down in SG? Do you think MAS gives 50k insurance for all deposits so easily? Singapore is a financial hub and if a bank closes down just like that without warning, don't think we have any more face and reputation to continue our financial services business....

Yeah, Bank won't close de, at most charge Minimun comm for the trading

xd3vilx

Master Member
Reaction score
I am not sure what will happen to the trading side of SC and our online trading account but guys there nothing afraid to worry about the banking side of SC. In fact, investors confident in SC increases after they announce they will axes their equity business, their stock went up by 1% yesterday.

SC balance sheet is still strong overall and even in the worst case they really go under, being a huge presence bank like SC, UK government will probably bail them out. So I can sleep at night without any worries.

Reaction score

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
There is no too big to fail banks, only all cannot fail together banks. Just don't tio the bank that's being made an example of when the government need a sacrificial lamb.

linxiaobei

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyway, too quick of withdrawal of cash can deplete the bank's liquidity and therefore amplifying the effects of what could have come from a very small issue.

Yes, even with the deposit insurance covering, you might not be able to get full refunds and might take a very long time. It is still better than no protection from the governing bodies of the bank.

spiritGate

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Well I am not sure but maybe they are using a way to say they are going to charge commission fee from their existing customer with the similar rate as other broker/banks
Just guessing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.