NTU/NUS/SMU 2015-2016 Intake

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChocolateCat

Reaction score
Probably a semi-bias opinion, but I'm going to say NTU Biz > NUS Biz. :)

They both have their respective pros & cons, but I don't see the point of pursuing a 4 yr honors degree when you can take a 3 yrs one.

I'm not sure about private sector, but public sector recognizes NTU Biz's 3 yrs honors degree as equivalent to NUS Biz's 4 yrs honors degree on the payscale.

Regarding S/U, I don't know how it works either but NTU Biz has everyone scoring B+ on average anyway.

ChocolateCat

Reaction score
The only thing that I miss about poly is the fixed class that we had. now in uni, we switch classes so often that most classmates are hi bye friends. only friends that stick are possibly orientation camps and CCAs.

So true. I miss the poly style.

But this way we get to meet more people and widen our social circle. :)

Made more friends.. although less close ones. Quantity vs Quality. :(

Havok_ex

Reaction score
As far as I know, NTU's S/U policy is quite different... as they have to declare their S/U option before the release of examination results. I personally don't see the use in that. Comparing apple with apple, NTU's new S/U policy for Year 1's says that the S/U option is automatic and it is activated when a student fails a module? Does that mean only when a student gets an F grade will the S/U be activated? How is that beneficial in anyway? Meaning if a student gets a "D" grade... that module would still be computed in his GPA/CAP? I am not too certain; and even friends in the programme now are pretty blur about it. So what is this "better than NUS grade-less first sem" that you speak of? Please share if you have some lobang hahaha.

Well yeah i guess this grade-less initiative causes some students to slack and get poor results... no doubt about it.

Yes, for NTU's gradeless first year, you will only be exempted if you get an F. And you will also have to redo the module. On top of that, our S/U for electives can only be made before the release of results, not after. Yes, this means things are much tougher here at NTU. Because we dont need to be coddled like those in NUS lol. We can't artificially inflate our grades like in NUS. Every bad grade is a spur in our hides, pushing us to perform better in the future.

Liao123

Reaction score
Yes, for NTU's gradeless first year, you will only be exempted if you get an F. And you will also have to redo the module. On top of that, our S/U for electives can only be made before the release of results, not after. Yes, this means things are much tougher here at NTU. Because we dont need to be coddled like those in NUS lol. We can't artificially inflate our grades like in NUS. Every bad grade is a spur in our hides, pushing us to perform better in the future.

Yap, my NUS friends are telling that almost everyone in NUS first semester got CAP/GPA of 4.5 and above this time. Let me give you all a very simple example:

A student in NUS on average take 5 mods (20 MC), if below are his or her results -
Module 1 A+, Module 2 B, Module 3 B-, Module 4 C+, Module 5 C
The student can just S/U Module 2 to 5 and still get a perfect CAP/GPA of 5.0 in NUS.
The NUS student can boast that he has a perfect CAP/GPA in first semester without realizing that he needs to buck up... :(

jameskoay

Reaction score

well said. so these are the facts laid down for everyone haha :)

Franzz

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Poly GPA: 3.79
O Levels: 24, fail maths and sci

What are the chances?

MoxLotus

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi Mox, perhaps it wasn't clear that i was only refering to Business School with regards to the 1st sem/ 2nd sem usage of S/U. As I've mentioned, with certain conditions, a freshman in the business school (14/15 onwards) is allowed to carry forward up to a maximum of 8MC of S/U for the 2nd semester from the 1st semester.. if not all the 20MC is used up. This is on top of the floating 12MC that can be used throughout the student's uni life.

Only 2 faculty and USP has such arrangement as they preallocate mods for their first yr.

http://bba.nus.edu/SU%20Policy/Carry%20Forward%20Rules%20for%20SU%20MCs%20under%20Grade-Free%20First%20Semester.pdf
Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) Option | NUS University Scholars Programme
S/U Option

As far as I know, NTU's S/U policy is quite different... as they have to declare their S/U option before the release of examination results. I personally don't see the use in that. Comparing apple with apple, NTU's new S/U policy for Year 1's says that the S/U option is automatic and it is activated when a student fails a module? Does that mean only when a student gets an F grade will the S/U be activated? How is that beneficial in anyway? Meaning if a student gets a "D" grade... that module would still be computed in his GPA/CAP? I am not too certain; and even friends in the programme now are pretty blur about it. So what is this "better than NUS grade-less first sem" that you speak of? Please share if you have some lobang hahaha.

Well yeah i guess this grade-less initiative causes some students to slack and get poor results... no doubt about it.

I guess you are right that perhaps NUS grade less is better in this regard.

Anyway, I believe you are in yr 1?
I am not too sure if your faculty has informed you about this other change in SU options for this batch of students of onwards.

Old SU option system(for the current seniors):
12 mc of SU options for S grades
unlimited mc of SU options for U grades (u need at least 1 mc of SU option left in order to make this happen)
In this system, student doesnt have benefit of grade less 1st sem, but we can explore modules without having to worry abt failing them.

New SU option system(for the freshies):
20 mc of SU option for sem1
12 mc of SU options for both S and U grades.
In this system, student lose some degree of freedom to explore other modules.

In NUS, its the same, if u get any grades less than D, u will get 'U grade for it. if it is a core, u have to repeat the module. And SU option cannot be applied to D grades. that means if a student get D grade, he has to get it counted.

Please do not link grade inflation to grade less first semester. There is no grade inflation in lvl1k/2k modules in NUS due to bell-curve. Furthermore, a grade-less first sem doesnt mean more people will graduate with higher honours. The seemly better result in semester 1 is temporary.

you may wanna read the comments in the article on why artificially good result in semester 1 doesnt have effect.
A Different Grading System in the First Year for Undergraduates

Havok_ex

Reaction score
In NUS, its the same, if u get any grades less than D, u will get 'U grade for it. if it is a core, u have to repeat the module. And SU option cannot be applied to D grades. that means if a student get D grade, he has to get it counted.

Its actually not the same. For NTU's freshmen year GPA exemption, it only applies to 6 modules. On top of that, you cannot exempt it unless it is an F. Meaning that they have to live with every C, C+,D,E. NUS freshmen get exempted for everything they do in the first year.

Its only the same for the S/U of electives. Like what you've mentioned above. Even in that case, its slightly different in the sense that NTU students can only S/U before the results are out.

Im rather unconvinced though, that these systems have no affect on student performance. I still believe that students would be ill-prepared when year 2 modules hit them if they live through a gradeless first year. Then again, I dont think I'm too bothered about it either lol. I'll just wait and see how things change or dont change in the long run.

intime

Reaction score
Poly GPA: 3.79
O Levels: 24, fail maths and sci

What are the chances?

What poly diploma course you graduated with?
If you are applying for maths and science related degrees, you should have relevant poly diploma.

You may score less in the 20% O Level results segment. So you will be at a disadvantage when competing with poly graduates of the same GPA as you.

To strengthen your chances and show your interest in math and science, you may wish to apply for any polytechnic's university preparation programme.
And/Or score well in SAT test as a supporting bonus for your university applications. :s22::s22::s22:

jameskoay

Reaction score
Probably a semi-bias opinion, but I'm going to say NTU Biz > NUS Biz. :)

They both have their respective pros & cons, but I don't see the point of pursuing a 4 yr honors degree when you can take a 3 yrs one.

I'm not sure about private sector, but public sector recognizes NTU Biz's 3 yrs honors degree as equivalent to NUS Biz's 4 yrs honors degree on the payscale.

Regarding S/U, I don't know how it works either but NTU Biz has everyone scoring B+ on average anyway.

I agree with you that if your sole purpose is to graduate fast with a local biz degree... NTU seems like the the better choice. This is very suitable for JC students.. whereas in my case, from poly, i get 0.5 year automatic exemption... so it becomes less obvious at 3.5 years. With this, I had to weigh other factors before making my decision :)

jameskoay

Reaction score
Only 2 faculty and USP has such arrangement as they preallocate mods for their first yr.

http://bba.nus.edu/SU%20Policy/Carry%20Forward%20Rules%20for%20SU%20MCs%20under%20Grade-Free%20First%20Semester.pdf
Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) Option | NUS University Scholars Programme
S/U Option

I guess you are right that perhaps NUS grade less is better in this regard.

Anyway, I believe you are in yr 1?
I am not too sure if your faculty has informed you about this other change in SU options for this batch of students of onwards.

Old SU option system(for the current seniors):
12 mc of SU options for S grades
unlimited mc of SU options for U grades (u need at least 1 mc of SU option left in order to make this happen)
In this system, student doesnt have benefit of grade less 1st sem, but we can explore modules without having to worry abt failing them.

New SU option system(for the freshies):
20 mc of SU option for sem1
12 mc of SU options for both S and U grades.
In this system, student lose some degree of freedom to explore other modules.

Please do not link grade inflation to grade less first semester. There is no grade inflation in lvl1k/2k modules in NUS due to bell-curve. Furthermore, a grade-less first sem doesnt mean more people will graduate with higher honours. The seemly better result in semester 1 is temporary.

you may wanna read the comments in the article on why artificially good result in semester 1 doesnt have effect.
A Different Grading System in the First Year for Undergraduates

Thanks for the info. But i think for freshies, as far as we are concerned; the S/U policy for us has become: All Level 1000 Mods and Level 2000 Mods with no Pre-requisite. An S grade will be awarded only if a minimum grade of C is obtained... while D+ and below would be a U. Seems quite different from what your batch is having.

shvictaxl

Reaction score
Hey there! Will be graduating from NP Mass Comm this year and would like to apply for NUS FASS. Based on the current GPA (10th percentile 3.76) on their website, what are my chances of getting in?

GPA: 3.6955
O Level L1R4: 10 (A1 in Eng, Comb Humans, A2 in History)

Also, from what I understand from their website, if I'm accepted, I'll only receive a provisional offer and I'll have to send in my last sem results once I get it. So does that mean if my last sem results are not up to par or it dropped from the current GPA, they can rescind their offer or what? Can anyone explain this part to me? Feeling a lil lost haha

Thanks! :)

Havok_ex

Reaction score
Hey there! Will be graduating from NP Mass Comm this year and would like to apply for NUS FASS. Based on the current GPA (10th percentile 3.76) on their website, what are my chances of getting in?

GPA: 3.6955
O Level L1R4: 10 (A1 in Eng, Comb Humans, A2 in History)

Also, from what I understand from their website, if I'm accepted, I'll only receive a provisional offer and I'll have to send in my last sem results once I get it. So does that mean if my last sem results are not up to par or it dropped from the current GPA, they can rescind their offer or what? Can anyone explain this part to me? Feeling a lil lost haha

Thanks! :)

I think your GPA is not on the safe side for FASS. But you should try nonetheless. Yes, they can withdraw their offer if your last sem grades are bad. But I've never heard of anyone having their offers rescinded. I think its in the case that the applicant really bomb the last sem and get below 2 that kind. Or else, even if you drop by a little, it shouldnt matter to them.

shvictaxl

Reaction score
I think your GPA is not on the safe side for FASS. But you should try nonetheless. Yes, they can withdraw their offer if your last sem grades are bad. But I've never heard of anyone having their offers rescinded. I think its in the case that the applicant really bomb the last sem and get below 2 that kind. Or else, even if you drop by a little, it shouldnt matter to them.

Thanks for the quick reply! 😄 what about my olevels? Since it's 80% gpa and 20% olevel, how is it calculated? And how exactly does the 10th percentile thing work anw? I read in last year's thread that if say the intake for a particular course is 600, then there will be like 60 slots for those below the 10th percentile? Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Last question haha: is it true that the unis will have different igp for different schools? Like they will adjust accordingly to the structure etc. Not so sure about this part too.

Thanks so much!! 😄😄

Havok_ex

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply! 😄 what about my olevels? Since it's 80% gpa and 20% olevel, how is it calculated? And how exactly does the 10th percentile thing work anw? I read in last year's thread that if say the intake for a particular course is 600, then there will be like 60 slots for those below the 10th percentile? Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Last question haha: is it true that the unis will have different igp for different schools? Like they will adjust accordingly to the structure etc. Not so sure about this part too.

Thanks so much!! 😄😄

1. Yes, 20% is your O levels, however, the IGP that is does not show or reflect the O levels, so there is no way of determining how your O levels might affect.

2. That is correct, the bigger the course, the more people there are that are below the 10th percentile mark. So if you are borderline for a course, you have a higher chance if the intake is big. However, FASS itself is a very popular course. It will be competitive anyway, regardless of the size of the cohort.

3. Different igp for different schools? I'm not sure what youre talking about here. Are you saying that for a specific course, say FASS, the cut-off is also dependent on which poly you are from? I dont think so, I think the IGP and cut off is the same no matter which school you come from.

shvictaxl

Reaction score
1. Yes, 20% is your O levels, however, the IGP that is does not show or reflect the O levels, so there is no way of determining how your O levels might affect.

2. That is correct, the bigger the course, the more people there are that are below the 10th percentile mark. So if you are borderline for a course, you have a higher chance if the intake is big. However, FASS itself is a very popular course. It will be competitive anyway, regardless of the size of the cohort.

3. Different igp for different schools? I'm not sure what youre talking about here. Are you saying that for a specific course, say FASS, the cut-off is also dependent on which poly you are from? I dont think so, I think the IGP and cut off is the same no matter which school you come from.

Ahh understand. Hm okay. By any chance, do you know of anybody who got into FASS with their GPA being 0.1 or more away from the IGP? :/

jameskoay

Reaction score
Ahh understand. Hm okay. By any chance, do you know of anybody who got into FASS with their GPA being 0.1 or more away from the IGP? :/

Have you considered NTU Comms? Apparently my friend said NUS Comms is not what she expected.. like journalism and stuff.

shvictaxl

Reaction score
Have you considered NTU Comms? Apparently my friend said NUS Comms is not what she expected.. like journalism and stuff.

Hey there! Yeah I did, but since I'm already doing comms in NP, I find it quite redundant to study the same things again, especially when what I've learnt in NP gives me a pretty good comms background and foundation. I wanna do either Eng Language or Eng Lit so I kinda have NTU e lit to fall back on if FASS's a no go. But not that keen on doing lit for 4 years tho :/ first choice's still english haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.