View Single Post
Old 10-01-2015, 12:10 AM   #67
MoxLotus
Master Member

Hi Mox, perhaps it wasn't clear that i was only refering to Business School with regards to the 1st sem/ 2nd sem usage of S/U. As I've mentioned, with certain conditions, a freshman in the business school (14/15 onwards) is allowed to carry forward up to a maximum of 8MC of S/U for the 2nd semester from the 1st semester.. if not all the 20MC is used up. This is on top of the floating 12MC that can be used throughout the student's uni life.
Only 2 faculty and USP has such arrangement as they preallocate mods for their first yr.

http://bba.nus.edu/SU%20Policy/Carry...20Semester.pdf
Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) Option | NUS University Scholars Programme
S/U Option

As far as I know, NTU's S/U policy is quite different... as they have to declare their S/U option before the release of examination results. I personally don't see the use in that. Comparing apple with apple, NTU's new S/U policy for Year 1's says that the S/U option is automatic and it is activated when a student fails a module? Does that mean only when a student gets an F grade will the S/U be activated? How is that beneficial in anyway? Meaning if a student gets a "D" grade... that module would still be computed in his GPA/CAP? I am not too certain; and even friends in the programme now are pretty blur about it. So what is this "better than NUS grade-less first sem" that you speak of? Please share if you have some lobang hahaha.

Well yeah i guess this grade-less initiative causes some students to slack and get poor results... no doubt about it.
I guess you are right that perhaps NUS grade less is better in this regard.

Anyway, I believe you are in yr 1?
I am not too sure if your faculty has informed you about this other change in SU options for this batch of students of onwards.

Old SU option system(for the current seniors):
12 mc of SU options for S grades
unlimited mc of SU options for U grades (u need at least 1 mc of SU option left in order to make this happen)
In this system, student doesnt have benefit of grade less 1st sem, but we can explore modules without having to worry abt failing them.

New SU option system(for the freshies):
20 mc of SU option for sem1
12 mc of SU options for both S and U grades.
In this system, student lose some degree of freedom to explore other modules.

Yes, for NTU's gradeless first year, you will only be exempted if you get an F. And you will also have to redo the module. On top of that, our S/U for electives can only be made before the release of results, not after. Yes, this means things are much tougher here at NTU. Because we dont need to be coddled like those in NUS lol. We can't artificially inflate our grades like in NUS. Every bad grade is a spur in our hides, pushing us to perform better in the future.
In NUS, its the same, if u get any grades less than D, u will get 'U grade for it. if it is a core, u have to repeat the module. And SU option cannot be applied to D grades. that means if a student get D grade, he has to get it counted.

Please do not link grade inflation to grade less first semester. There is no grade inflation in lvl1k/2k modules in NUS due to bell-curve. Furthermore, a grade-less first sem doesnt mean more people will graduate with higher honours. The seemly better result in semester 1 is temporary.

you may wanna read the comments in the article on why artificially good result in semester 1 doesnt have effect.
A Different Grading System in the First Year for Undergraduates