Standard Chartered - Only Online Trading in town with no minimum commission

Status
Not open for further replies.

doody_

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Official announcement on the SCB iBanking page:

Online Equities Trading Announcement

Please be assured that the closure of Standard Chartered PLC’s (“the Group’s”) institutional cash equities, equity research and equity capital markets (“ECM”) activities have no impact on Standard Chartered Bank (Singapore) Limited’s Online Securities Trading platform. You continue to have access to the 13 stock market exchanges through this platform and your existing holdings remained unaffected. Thank you for your continued support.

Tloslm

Master Member
Reaction score
Sinkie

For cash upfront ,
can we choose CIMB as the bank for EPS? (electronic payment for shares)
assume we open saving account with cimb

Last edited:

linxiaobei

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
iz28vk.jpg

Guess this should finally calm down some of us here.

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Sinkie

For cash upfront ,
can we choose CIMB as the bank for EPS? (electronic payment for shares)
assume we open saving account with cimb

Cimb bank only can be used for t+4 giro leh, not for eps. Eps must use dbs, UOB or Ocbc etc

Tloslm

Master Member
Reaction score
Cimb bank only can be used for t+4 giro leh, not for eps. Eps must use dbs, UOB or Ocbc etc

hi

1) if using Cash upfront. still must apply for Giro link ?

2)Already can use EPS and CUT liao, then Giro is for what deduction ?

:s22:

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
hi

1) if using Cash upfront. still must apply for Giro link ?

2)Already can use EPS and CUT liao, then Giro is for what deduction ?

:s22:

Eh, eps and giro are either/or, but eps/giro and cut are either/and

You can have one of this arrangement [eps and cut] or [giro and cut] or [giro only] or [eps only]

Well, if you wanna do t+5 settlement, 0.275%, $25 min can choose settlement= cash (eps or giro), if u wanna do cash upfront (via staraver), 0.18% and $18 min choose settlement = cut at the buy ticket

2 ways to buy,

vEr5eX

Reaction score
newbie here trying to understand the scb's trading account a little more. when registering with scb for an account online, I can link the account up with my posb bank right?

does this mean that when I buy or sell, the money will flow directly from my scb trading account in and out of my posb account? are there any charges for all these transfers between the accounts?

linxiaobei

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
newbie here trying to understand the scb's trading account a little more. when registering with scb for an account online, I can link the account up with my posb bank right?

does this mean that when I buy or sell, the money will flow directly from my scb trading account in and out of my posb account? are there any charges for all these transfers between the accounts?

You need a bank account with them. Transfer the money to that account and from that account to trading settlement account if I'm not wrong.

But its free, no minimum balance required.

vEr5eX

Reaction score
You need a bank account with them. Transfer the money to that account and from that account to trading settlement account if I'm not wrong.

But its free, no minimum balance required.

So before I can create a trading account with them, I need to create their so called basic banking account with them first?

I was trying to create one online with their Instant Signup, but they kept asking me for an ATM/Debit card account number. I don't even have an account with them yet, how to have one? :(

Last edited:

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
SCB doesn't allow DBS to fund your settlement account, or any other account. You need an account with scb.

As per what linxiaobei said.
I started with Esaver, free, no fall below fee, higher interest at 1%+ if you know how to move your money around. It's basically a saving account.

So basically you use Esaver money to fund settlement account of various currency to purchase stocks of various market. Make sure you have the money in the correct currency settlement account and you are ready to buy. Selling don't need to have any money in the settlement account but of course you must have the shares already.

When you buy a stock, the amount will be deducted from settlement account, not Esaver. You can open many currency settlement account, again it's free. I opened all. The main one I used is USD settlement and SGD settlement account.

vEr5eX

Reaction score
SCB doesn't allow DBS to fund your settlement account, or any other account. You need an account with scb.

As per what linxiaobei said.
I started with Esaver, free, no fall below fee, higher interest at 1%+ if you know how to move your money around. It's basically a saving account.

So basically you use Esaver money to fund settlement account of various currency to purchase stocks of various market. Make sure you have the money in the correct currency settlement account and you are ready to buy. Selling don't need to have any money in the settlement account but of course you must have the shares already.

When you buy a stock, the amount will be deducted from settlement account, not Esaver. You can open many currency settlement account, again it's free. I opened all. The main one I used is USD settlement and SGD settlement account.

thanks! very informative! is it possible to open an Esaver account online, or do I have to go down to one of their branches to get an account?

When transferring between my Esaver account and the settlement account, are there any charges?

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
So before I can create a trading account with them, I need to create their so called basic banking account with them first?

I was trying to create one online with their Instant Signup, but they kept asking me for an ATM/Debit card account number. I don't even have an account with them yet, how to have one? :(

I think you need to go down to their branch to open a esaver account and the various currency settlement account you need. The instant signup seems to be for current customer who already have an account but don't have online account.

Btw, if you wish to open a trading account with scb, u must possess investment experience in listed specified investment products (SIP) or u have transacted at least six (6) times in listed SIPs in the last three (3) years.

vEr5eX

Reaction score
I think you need to go down to their branch to open a esaver account and the various currency settlement account you need. The instant signup seems to be for current customer who already have an account but don't have online account.

Btw, if you wish to open a trading account with scb, u must possess investment experience in listed specified investment products (SIP) or u have transacted at least six (6) times in listed SIPs in the last three (3) years.

How would they usually verify my 6 transactions in listed SIPs in the last 3 years? Are they just going to ask me verbally?:s13:

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
thanks! very informative! is it possible to open an Esaver account online, or do I have to go down to one of their branches to get an account?

When transferring between my Esaver account and the settlement account, are there any charges?

Transferring fund between Esaver and sgd settlement account is free, for the others, there is a currency spread, and it changes depending on the currency exchange rate plus the bank's spread. The US dollar has one of the lowest spread but it's still considerable(to me) so try not to keep changing back and forth.

e.g. esaver to US settlement account, you need to exchange your SGD at 1.3447+ to usd or something even though the current exchange rate is just 1.3347. So if you exchange $1344.7, you only get $1000USD to buy stocks.

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
How would they usually verify my 6 transactions in listed SIPs in the last 3 years? Are they just going to ask me verbally?:s13:

Many guys in this forum has mentioned they smoke scb and say they have some finance degree or they traded 6 companies before.
I'm not sure if it works but according to many here, it works.

I'm the guai guai boy, I did the 6 transaction for real in ocbc(expensive sia) and then switch to scb. But over the long term, it's worth it de. The fees saved is in the thousands for me.

vEr5eX

Reaction score
Many guys in this forum has mentioned they smoke scb and say they have some finance degree or they traded 6 companies before.
I'm not sure if it works but according to many here, it works.

I'm the guai guai boy, I did the 6 transaction for real in ocbc(expensive sia) and then switch to scb. But over the long term, it's worth it de. The fees saved is in the thousands for me.

:s13::s13:
So basically it went like, the counter lady asked whether you had experience in trading, you said yes, and the she went ahead with your account creation, just like that? lol!

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
For mine, which was done 2 years ago, the guy doing the paperwork ask me to list the 6 companies down, I too lazy, so I throw him my 6 transaction paper from ocbc for him to fill it for me. Perhaps, other people can gave you a clearer idea of how to smoke through. Me is not a good example in terms of smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.