learning japanese

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just skip N5, it's better do N4. Both very do able.
bro, just a small note
Do you know that every JLPT level focuses to test u on a particular area?

N5: Test on student's understanding of particles, various forms, basic construction of sentences, understanding of simple passages

N4: Test on student's understanding of differences between intransitive and transitive verbs, daily conversation listening skills, simple keigo, ability to understanding which form of the verb it is given a particular verb and so on.

Skipping N5 would also mean that he/she will miss out on the chance to gauge her understanding of the above. If yuukiXkaname wants to know how good her knowledge on the above is, i would recommend her to take N5.

Last edited:

hoshiyume

Master Member
Reaction score
At least bout 30% cheaper.
We can meet up first, decide what book u want, then i help u buy. Did it for Curry puff before. He saved like 50%?

Can save a lot. Did a comparison last week, a ¥1200 is now priced at sgd $24.10 but if u look at exchange rate is only sgd less than $15 and that is provided the book u are buying in kino is tagged at nov/dec 14 rates. Some books were imported 2013 and not sold until now - they cost abt 3 times the price. So if going Japan and you have room for books in luggage allowance,should get the books there

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Am starting a new class in Jan 2015.

Starting Date: 22nd Jan 2015 (Thurs)
Time: 7pm-9pm
Trainer: Me
Max student size: 6
Fees: $200 for 10 lessons

or

Starting Date: 24th Jan 2015 (Sat)
Time: 4.30-6pm
Trainer: Me
Max student size: 4
Fees: $200 for 10 lessons

Pls pm me with your mobile number if interested... Thank you...

Last slot left for Sat class. =)

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
btw, am looking for some students to give me feedback on my Japanese for Travel course. Currently this is still in testing phase so all lessons are free.

It will spread over 3 weeks of 2 hours each.

Date starting: 16th Feb (Mon)
No. of seats: 6
Time: 7.30-9.30pm
Cost: Free

If interested, pls drop me a pm with ur contact number. Thank you.

Ah_keong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No I'm self studying as I have some knowledge but it's all over the place. Need a syllabus guideline so I know what to study for. I did study a bit when I was in poly and picked the rest online and by watching anime, reading visual novels and threads on 2ch etc...

I do understand the Japanese edition have a few workbooks as I saw them in Kino. My aim is to be able to hit N2 so I can study and work in Japan. I do not know my current proficiency as my language ability have dropped by quite a bit since I didn't really touch the language for a few years until recently only but I can understand it to a certain extent. I'm trying to ease the financial situation a bit as I feel that with a syllabus guide and a proper textbook and such, I'm confident that I can clear N5. As for N4 I'll have to see how I fare for N5 before deciding but ideally I'll like to start enrolling into a school only from N3 onwards. Any recommendations on guidebooks and textbooks are highly appreciated :)

As for when I'm aiming for N5 mastery, I'm hoping to be able to clear that in July 2015 and try and get N4 by December 2015.

In your case if you are aiming for self learning, I would recommend Japanese for Busy People together to brush up your Japanese Proficiency together with JLPT N5 and N4 books. I would also highly recommend you to join JLPT prep classes so as to speed up your proficiency up to N4 so that you can join the N3 class by 2016. Below are my recommended books. (for my students)

Good Luck! :D

jbp.jpg

jeremiahtong

Reaction score
In your case if you are aiming for self learning, I would recommend Japanese for Busy People together to brush up your Japanese Proficiency together with JLPT N5 and N4 books. I would also highly recommend you to join JLPT prep classes so as to speed up your proficiency up to N4 so that you can join the N3 class by 2016. Below are my recommended books. (for my students)

jbp.jpg

Are you teaching too?

Ah_keong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Are you teaching too?

Nope, I am just an assistant tutor.

I have used the recommended books during my army days (about 10 years ago) for self learning and I recommend the books as reference books for my tutorial classes and self-study books for my introductory classes. :D

yuukiXkaname

Reaction score

jbp.jpg

Hmm. Thanks a lot. I got Genki already. Would try and use this as a supplement guide book.

Appreciate all the advice and recommendations I'm getting. Thank you!

ありがとうございました!

Ah_keong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hmm. Thanks a lot. I got Genki already. Would try and use this as a supplement guide book.

Appreciate all the advice and recommendations I'm getting. Thank you!

ありがとうございました!

Feel free to ask any of the experts here for advice!
ありがとうございました~!

Good Luck~! :D

Reaction score
Hi, sorry to post only when I have qns.....

Is JLPT N1 only available at the end of the year in SG?

Is there any Japanese Speech Contest this year? Would like to try it out but I don't see on JCS nor JA website.

Reaction score
No I'm self studying as I have some knowledge but it's all over the place. Need a syllabus guideline so I know what to study for. I did study a bit when I was in poly and picked the rest online and by watching anime, reading visual novels and threads on 2ch etc...

I do understand the Japanese edition have a few workbooks as I saw them in Kino. My aim is to be able to hit N2 so I can study and work in Japan. I do not know my current proficiency as my language ability have dropped by quite a bit since I didn't really touch the language for a few years until recently only but I can understand it to a certain extent. I'm trying to ease the financial situation a bit as I feel that with a syllabus guide and a proper textbook and such, I'm confident that I can clear N5. As for N4 I'll have to see how I fare for N5 before deciding but ideally I'll like to start enrolling into a school only from N3 onwards. Any recommendations on guidebooks and textbooks are highly appreciated :)

As for when I'm aiming for N5 mastery, I'm hoping to be able to clear that in July 2015 and try and get N4 by December 2015.

Hi, this is not very updated but it can still help..
JLPT Level N5 Study Page

You sound like you know quite a bit already. Maybe just a grammar book and a vocab list will help you?

Fo Minna no Nihongo workbook, you may want to consider Taiwan publications. It is ard $8 . Union Bookshop at bras basah. Call to check, they do not have it everytime. No answers but you can get it online. btw they divide MnN Elementary 1 book (Jp ver.) into Elementary 1 and 2 and MnN Elementary 2 book (jp ver.) into Intermediate 1 and 2.

You can consider doing the N5 past year papers online (instead of signing up for actual. costs money too.) and go straight for N4 during the mid-year...

Last edited:

avalanste

Banned
Reaction score
Hi, sorry to post only when I have qns.....

Is JLPT N1 only available at the end of the year in SG?

Is there any Japanese Speech Contest this year? Would like to try it out but I don't see on JCS nor JA website.

The speech contest only starts its registration between april to may every year, I don't think it's even up yet.

Last edited:

Lurker_13

Master Member
Reaction score
Haiz... just realized I missed the beginner class at Ikoma...well gotta wait for Mar classes then...:s22:

Ah_keong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Haiz... just realized I missed the beginner class at Ikoma...well gotta wait for Mar classes then...:s22:

no worries, meanwhile you can start practise on the writing fundamentals first.

I drill myself to write hiragana and katakana characters everyday for 2 months when I first started.

Lurker_13

Master Member
Reaction score
no worries, meanwhile you can start practise on the writing fundamentals first.

I drill myself to write hiragana and katakana characters everyday for 2 months when I first started.

Thanks Ah_keong, will try to do so as I am not very discipline in this aspect. LOL :s13:

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For those who are still interested to attend the free Skype lesson for N1/N2/Business Japanese, lesson will still be on..

Day: Sunday
Time: 7-8.30pm (subject to changes)
Topics:

1) N1/N2漢字
2) N1/N2語彙
3) N2文法->最後まで
4) 会話の練習
5) ビジネス日本語の会話
6) 敬語
7) メールの書き方

Pls pm me with ur contact number if u are interested to find out more. =)

Ayukiz

Reaction score
Text Books/Assessment Books

Hi all,

Any recommendation for Japanese text book or assessment books for beginners?

Thank you! :)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.