EDMW Knife Collectors

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the small sebenza. Haven't experienced either so thanks for the input about ergonomics.

Oh and bills. We've all been there =)

Which version of the zt801 do you have for sale?

The ZT801 with stonewashed ELMAX blade and stonewashed handles. Only USD212 via paypal (plus fees) or SGD279 cash and carry. That's cheaper than what they go for these days from knifecenter plus shipping....by a few dollars =:p Nice and like new, I've only taken it out of the box and flipped it a couple of times (and smiled) :D Best flipper south of $250 all in. Period :D

Back to your search, I know everybody has a different opinion but:

1. are you going to put it in your pocket/EDC? or key chain? or in a bag?
2. is this going to be used for prying? cutting harder materials? food?
3. do you like the clean industrial look or something more 'artsy'? something 'cold' for the handle (metal, plus synthetics like g10, micarta, FRN etc) or something 'warmer' (wood, MOP, mammoth, horn etc)
4. what blade size do you prefer? what OAL do you like?
5. high end high speed steel or something that is easier to maintain/sharpen?

and very important question....
6. budget? or no budget (meaning if it's really nice, you'll buy it regardless of the price....)

I forgot to mention, if you don't have a need for speed in opening or one-handed, slipjoints are great pocket knives. Buy a nice custom one and you'll have something to talk about in 10-20 years time over a glass of fine vino, even if you don't have macho tats etc, lol....

Final word in this post....if you're not looking for a bombproof thick lock, but wouldn't mind a button lock, check this out....for about the same price as a small sebbie but with ZDP189 steel and better style.

http://www.knifeart.com/wiheb30safok.html

Last edited:

woodsteel23

Reaction score
Your questions are really helpful in guiding me along and makes me feel like less of a douche for not knowing what I want in the first place.

1. I will have it in a bag most times, don't see myself using it on a keychain or pocket.
2. It will probably be used for basic tasks, nothing too extreme. Perhaps around the house tasks.
3. Aesthetics wise, I would prefer a clean industrial look with a 'cold' handle.
4. The blade I would guess around 3". This is such a rough estimate, in your opinion is this a relatively large or small size?
5. High end steel sounds like an attractive option just because I associate this with durability?
6. I really don't want to spend more than about $400 usd on a knife.

The William Henry knife in the link is awesome but abit too futuristic looking for me, that's just personal opinion though.

mamba2012

Reaction score
Your questions are really helpful in guiding me along and makes me feel like less of a douche for not knowing what I want in the first place.

1. I will have it in a bag most times, don't see myself using it on a keychain or pocket.
2. It will probably be used for basic tasks, nothing too extreme. Perhaps around the house tasks.
3. Aesthetics wise, I would prefer a clean industrial look with a 'cold' handle.
4. The blade I would guess around 3". This is such a rough estimate, in your opinion is this a relatively large or small size?
5. High end steel sounds like an attractive option just because I associate this with durability?

The William Henry knife in the link is awesome but abit too futuristic looking for me, that's just personal opinion though.

With regards to blade length, 3.5" is a good size for everyday tasks. 3" is indeed a little small for me (I wear size L gloves). As for steels, since u r gonna be using it for normal edc tasks, u might wanna consider stainless steels with better edge retention, rather than toughness,or u can simply go for steels which are easy to touch up and are able to achieve a scary sharp edge. Examples of such steels would be elmax and vg-10.

worcer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Some people say durable means can pry hardened honey from a glass jar... So depends on your kind of durabilty.

If you wan a do it all but dun wan to feel sad when it breaks or chip, get the cheapo army knife from last time. Does the same job.

To answer your question on high end steel... they are not durable. They are meant to last long cutting sessions without dulling. They will chip easily than cheapo steel(if you wan me to answer that, get ready for a long GP kind of essay).

Akai Ryu

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Some people say durable means can pry hardened honey from a glass jar... So depends on your kind of durabilty.

If you wan a do it all but dun wan to feel sad when it breaks or chip, get the cheapo army knife from last time. Does the same job.

reminds me of....

sgknives_1.jpg

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Flippers vs Non-Flippers

Have flippers ruined it for you? Here's a topic I borrowed from the green forum. I thought it might be interesting to see the thoughts locally.

I love flippers. I think is is a great design feature on a folder. Since I got my first one, a ZT0200, I have hardly bought a non-flip knife. The last one I bought that was not a flipper was a DP/x HEAT. Great knife, but when I carry it, I miss the flipper.

I have been looking to get a nice midtech knife, and have long wanted a Sebenza, and have looked at the TAD Dauntlesses, but I am afraid that because they don't flip, they won't get carried. Now, if CRK made a flipper Sebenza......

Anyone else in the same boat?

I'll start:

I love a good knife. Be it a good fixed blade, manual opening folder or a flipper. They each have their place, and I can't say I prefer a flipper over a non-flipper or vice versa.

There's something to be said for buttery smooth deliberate manual opening folders - they give you control in the mechanics, and you'll appreciate the smoothness that goes into them (when well made) - be it nylatron, delrin, nylon, phosphor bronze or bearings. There was a time when the only bearing on a folder was the detent ball. These days everybody insists on bearings in every folder...it's become a fad. Poor fit and finish is obfuscated via bearings.

Do I not like flippers? No, I love a well made flipper...the only thing I don't like is the protruding tab when it is closed. It looks somewhat toy like. Like a kiddy coat hanger stuck on a sleek industrial wall. At times, the maker blends the flipper tab into the overall lines and theme of the folder, but many a times it just 'sticks out' (pun intended). Now there are NFF, hidden tabs, front tabs, kick-stop tabs that blend better with the handle - those get a few extra brownie points, but they tend to be extremely expensive.

Flippers tend to be a little gimmicky - everybody wants to compare flippability, but it appears to me like comparing yo-yo skills. Nice to see and admire but not quite life empowering. There are great flippers and there are not so great flippers...I guess the flippability is also a testament to a maker's skill...or should I say, a machinist's skill as these days it requires machining and milling to fit closed bearings, thrust bearings, ikbs etc.

What do you think?

Would you look past a well made non-flipper? Do you think it's a fad?

alantcy

Reaction score
I don't really mind the tabs sticking out. It's just a design neccesity.
Gimmicky as they might be but I find them practical as a quick deployment mechanism.
I also quite like the look of them when deployed and serving as a finger guard. Some makers manage to hide them but none seem well executed so far.
Bearing smoothness are sort of agiven nowadays, enthusiast collectors are starting to appreciate the different sound signatures they make.

What I don't like are the outrageous ones that take the idea "too far", eg. Medford 187 - hideous. :)

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
ya, Alan, some incorporate the flipper guard thing well, like hinderers. I think the Gavkos have flippers that stick out too far....reminds me of the wooden dummy used by the Wing Chun buggers ;)

some flippers necessitate twisting the handle in hand in order to reach for the flipper tab, that's what I don't like.

alantcy

Reaction score
ya, Alan, some incorporate the flipper guard thing well, like hinderers. I think the Gavkos have flippers that stick out too far....reminds me of the wooden dummy used by the Wing Chun buggers ;)

some flippers necessitate twisting the handle in hand in order to reach for the flipper tab, that's what I don't like.

Exactly, too abrupt looking. I think I might have come across those ones with the hidden contraption that you are referring to.

Anyway, props to Kit Carson *RIP*, if not for him we wouldn't have that bit of "fun" like we do now. :)

woodsteel23

Reaction score
$_3.jpg

Total coincidence but I found this knife hidden in the back of my drawer today, it was given to me by a friend about 15 years ago and I forgot all about it till now.

Did some research online and it turns out to be a Benchmade ATS34 (Emerson Spec War Model CQC7).

That was a mouthful.

The only thing I gather about it is that the knife has been discontinued. Long shot but does anyone have any other info about this knife?

Also, to be expected, the knife is in less than ideal condition, I don't see any visible rust, but the insides are dusty and the blade is so stiff it cannot be opened one handed, I have no doubt the blade is dull too.

So junk or worth cleaning up?

Disclaimer: pic was lifted off the Internet

anvil_den

Reaction score
Have flippers ruined it for you? Here's a topic I borrowed from the green forum. I thought it might be interesting to see the thoughts locally.....

Flippers tend to be a little gimmicky - everybody wants to compare flippability, but it appears to me like comparing yo-yo skills. Nice to see and admire but not quite life empowering. There are great flippers and there are not so great flippers...I guess the flippability is also a testament to a maker's skill...or should I say, a machinist's skill as these days it requires machining and milling to fit closed bearings, thrust bearings, ikbs etc.

Would you look past a well made non-flipper? Do you think it's a fad?

Flippers. Yes I think it has become something of an obsession. No doubt fueled by all the flipper/ bearings mechanism comparison threads and all those flashy youtube reviews.

I reckon views will also have to come from the perspective of whether being a user or more in terms of collecting...

From a user-blade point of view... to think of it, there's hardly a user-blade i carry in all these years that is a flipper. There are others of course and everyone has a slip joint at some point or another. By and large I favor lockbacks with top thumb studs. Guess it's all just out of sheer habit and usage. My no name trusty POS has horrible ergo even for a lockback but one sufficiently used that I operate one handed in opening or closing without thinking.

Flippers are an overt show in my opinion. Nothing wrong with that. But for some where pulling a blade out needs observing sound discipline.. a flipper would be the last thing. Also if a flipper is clipped to a pocket.. actually speed is more focused on how fast one can pull it out, hold in a proper hand position before deploying. Actual flipping speed is pretty negligible.

From a collecting and largely safe queen pieces point of view... well I'm trying to appreciate the different bells and whistles with my recent foundation pieces :)

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
$_3.jpg

Total coincidence but I found this knife hidden in the back of my drawer today, it was given to me by a friend about 15 years ago and I forgot all about it till now.

Did some research online and it turns out to be a Benchmade ATS34 (Emerson Spec War Model CQC7).

That was a mouthful.

The only thing I gather about it is that the knife has been discontinued. Long shot but does anyone have any other info about this knife?

Also, to be expected, the knife is in less than ideal condition, I don't see any visible rust, but the insides are dusty and the blade is so stiff it cannot be opened one handed, I have no doubt the blade is dull too.

So junk or worth cleaning up?

Disclaimer: pic was lifted off the Internet

It's not junk. That's the only folder that Ernie had ever licensed Benchmade to produce, the CQC7. Les de Asis chose that model. They're larger than Emersonknives' own CQC7. They stopped being produced almost 20 years' ago. The great thing about Emerson designs is that they're easy to disassemble. Just need a torx and Phillips head screwdriver. Clean it up, sharpen it up and you're good to go. To loosen the gunk, I'll flush hot soapy water on the knife, then complete disassemble the knife, clean it up, lube it, then put it back together. Sharpen it and you're good to go.

CQC-6 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Vintage Benchmade Emerson 975 SBT CQC-7 Tanto Knife (4" Black Serr) - Blade HQ

Last edited:

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Matched Leuku & Puukko set

Up for show today (and it's looking for a new home too) is my matchin Leuku & Puukko set. Leuku is a larger camp knife used by the Sami people in Lapland. It has traditionally larger handles, a wider, longer and thicker blade but is not quite the same as a parang in application or blade dynamics - it's basically a bigger knife to handle heavier and larger chores, compared to the puukko. The Laplanders rely on good tools to see them through harsh long winters. Those long winters are no joke.

Handles are African Wenge with an awesome surface texturing, hardware is stippled brass and hammered brass for the collars. It will age very nicely.

The Leuku features a handforged 9" Anti Makkinen blade, scandi grind and razor sharp of course. The Puukko features a forged 'sanmai' or sandwich blade by Karlo Ban with a silversteel core (that's great stuff). More of a droppoint than the typical puukko profile.

Both knives were made by Barbudo ;).

I cannot say better things about the texture of the Wenge handles (and yes, real Wenge doesn't always look like that horrible fake laminates we see adorning the Zen style cabinetry of 10 years ago, lol).

Please contact me if you are keen to take over custody of this set...I'm asking for only 400usd via PayPal, plus fees. (Updated) If I split it up, I'll keep the puukko as that holds some sentimental value to me.

imagejpg5_zps55a1934b.jpg

imagejpg4_zps7435ac41.jpg

imagejpg2_zpse943e15d.jpg

imagejpg1_zps26a475fa.jpg

imagejpg3_zps85cd765d.jpg

Last edited:

TheBUSTED

Reaction score
Selling my knife

Hi guys,

Am looking to sell my SOG Kiku Large Fixed with Black Blade for S$230. In mint condition comes with sheath and warranty.

Also selling my United Cutlery Navy Seal Knife for S$50. Comes with sheath.

Prices are competitive to Amazon's.

Do PM me or send an email to my njxchris@ hotmail.com if interested.

Thanks!

worcer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Am looking to sell my SOG Kiku Large Fixed with Black Blade for S$230. In mint condition comes with sheath and warranty.

Also selling my United Cutlery Navy Seal Knife for S$50. Comes with sheath.

Prices are competitive to Amazon's.

Do PM me or send an email to my njxchris@ hotmail.com if interested.

Thanks!

Knifecenter sell 169 USD only leh... Sorry but i just got to say.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Hahhaha I know but if you actually add shipping plus current exchange rate which is rising by the way my price is actually lower. Price negotiable

Min shipping from KC is now Usd27. And present exchange rate is USD1:SGD1.33

Prices are going up as compared to 6months ago, I'm not familiar with the model though.

gary92

Reaction score
Sup guys, ive this stiletto, not sure what material but ive a feeling its some steel or smth. Its been getting rust and some corrosion i think? Or more of oxidation since its dark brown in colour. Anything i can use to remove these stains and maintain the stiletto?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.