Standard Chartered - Only Online Trading in town with no minimum commission

Status
Not open for further replies.

aiyawodeti

Reaction score
Thanks. How about voluntary cash offer?

I notice the cash offer for popular holding is 0.32, but trading price is about 0.31, even plus 0.2% fee, still have some profit. Is it true if the deal can go through?

Asphodeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks. How about voluntary cash offer?

I notice the cash offer for popular holding is 0.32, but trading price is about 0.31, even plus 0.2% fee, still have some profit. Is it true if the deal can go through?

for voluntary cash offer, if the deal goes through, you get the full value when the shares are taken from you, no fees, no charges.

Asphodeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If this is true then wouldn't it be capitalised on to have normal profit easily?

I'm not sure what you mean...if you mean by people selling it on the open market, I think it's fine if you have deep pockets, unless you care about the $25++brokerage fees with 1 lot holding... :(

Anyway, I have only gone through one voluntary cash offer before, and it was quite a while ago, so things might have changed in recent times, or maybe it works differently per company's offer conditions.

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
for voluntary cash offer, if the deal goes through, you get the full value when the shares are taken from you, no fees, no charges.

Yeah, you get full value of the shares x offer price

xiaonub

Reaction score
Is SCB still safe as a brokerage now?

Hi all,
I just read in the news a week ago that SCB has closed its online equities business.

Investors who trade using this platform do not have their shares in their CDP account as SCB acts as the custodian.
Hence I now have a question, what would happen to the shares under their custody in the event of them falling?

Thanks for any replies :)

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Sinkie wrote:
Shares in Scb are kept in a seperate nominee accounts with the raffles nominee so don't worry.

Your shares are legally owned by a non-trading subsidiary of your stock broker, known as a nominee company. (Sometimes a third-party company hired by your stock broker will be used instead of a subsidiary – more on this later on.) However, while the nominee company is the legal owner of the shares, you are the beneficial owner, meaning that you have rights over them. Your stock broker will keep records of which client is the beneficial owner of all the shares held by the nominee company, trade your holdings according to your instructions and pass cash from the sale of your shares or from dividends on to you.

Having the shares owned by a non-trading company rather than the main brokerage business means that your assets are legally separate from the assets and liabilities of your stock broker. The segregation between client assets and company assets is crucial to how this arrangement operates.

If the broker goes bust, your stocks are still your property. The creditors can’t touch them. If your investments were just assets of your stock broker and could be claimed by its creditors, you wouldn’t have any security at all.

(Note that this system is very different to placing money on deposit in a bank, where you are technically lending money to the bank to do as it wants and are a creditor of the bank if it fails. Stock brokers hold your assets on custody for you, rather than receiving a loan from you.)

So in theory, segregation ensures your investments are safe.

IIIUSION

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Lol to all people who cashed out.

Anyway SCB online as of now still doesn't accept if key in less than 1000 shares.

felixleong

Banned
Reaction score
I wonder be surprised if monday many house face technical difficulties due to the new lot size, if wanna play safe can wait a few days? May not need to rush in on monday too

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I wonder be surprised if monday many house face technical difficulties due to the new lot size, if wanna play safe can wait a few days? May not need to rush in on monday too

Many retailers read newspaper and got soak into the 100 shares hype le. All machiam waiting to snatch first 100 shares on Monday to get the chance to be interviewed by our media

felixleong

Banned
Reaction score
Ya too much hype, in fact retail investors should do opposite... Keep volume low until they lower min comm from $25 to $5 or $10

Asphodeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Many retailers read newspaper and got soak into the 100 shares hype le. All machiam waiting to snatch first 100 shares on Monday to get the chance to be interviewed by our media

Haha you saw the advert too? :D

Guojing88

Master Member
Reaction score
The sad thing is that, on Monday, no one will be surprised if SCB won't accept the order if you key in less than 1000 shares.

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
The sad thing is that, on Monday, no one will be surprised if SCB won't accept the order if you key in less than 1000 shares.

ya. Today, still cannot go through. gonna test tomorrow lor. after that complaint and wait for them to make the changes.

Last edited:

doody_

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

It's a budget stock broker, I don't mind accepting a few problems here and there :s13:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.