Ask me any questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

saffronsatire

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
btw can anyone advise what hotel prices are like during nov? how much higher?

e.g. feb '13, i stayed at prince shinagawa and kyoto century hotel for ~150/night, how much should i except the price to be like in nov for a hotel in the same range?

for the hotels that are already available for booking in nov, any idea if the stated prices change closer to nov? cos right now, the reflected prices are about 300/night for a kyoto and osaka. that is double the usual price (for the nov period) if i'm not wrong.

hoshiyume

Master Member
Reaction score
btw can anyone advise what hotel prices are like during nov? how much higher?

e.g. feb '13, i stayed at prince shinagawa and kyoto century hotel for ~150/night, how much should i except the price to be like in nov for a hotel in the same range?

for the hotels that are already available for booking in nov, any idea if the stated prices change closer to nov? cos right now, the reflected prices are about 300/night for a kyoto and osaka. that is double the usual price (for the nov period) if i'm not wrong.

So rich
Moi only stay in hostel :(

saffronsatire

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So rich
Moi only stay in hostel :(

they want those king/executive room ma :s34:

How come u book so expensive hotel? Lol. My hotel only 40 sing. Lol

hur hur, not even king/exec leh, semi double nia. room damn narrow. can't even open up two big luggage lol. bed also queen sized or super single nia. i just checked 16.5m2.

$150 is ex? haha that time booked late so no more toyoko inn or very near train station one. otherwise, i think i don't mind toyoko inn since the shinagawa one quite convenient.

this time going with parents. can't stay too cui or too far.

lsharon70

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm planning my first Japan trip for my family of 2 adults and 3 kids. Below are my draft itinenaries. I am not sure if my itinenaries are workable especially my day 7 - 9. I am not sure should i just stay at Tayama or Kanzawa and explore both Shirakawago and Nagano.

Can someone help ?

Day 1 Osaka Reach Osaka 21.20
Day 2 Osaka Osaka Castle
Day 3 Osaka Universal Studios Japan
Day 4 Osaka-Kyoto Kiyomizudera, Nishiki Market
Day 5 Osaka-Nara Nara Park, Shinsaibashi/DOTONBORI,
Day 6 Osaka-Kobe Explore Kobe by City Loop Bus
Day 7 Osaka -Kanazawa Explore Kanazawa by Kanazawa Loop Bus
Day 8 Shirakawago to Takayama Kanazawa to Shirawago
Day 9 Shirakawago to Nagano Snow Monkey , Zenko-ji Temple
Day 10 Nagano/Yokohama/Tokyo Explore Ykohama and back to Tokyo
Day 11 Tokyo AKIHABARA ,Odaiba-kaihinkoen, Shinjuku
Day 12 Tokyo Disneyland
Day 13 Tokyo Disyneysea
Day 14 Tokyo Asakusa Temple, Kappabashi Street , Ameya Yokocho
Day 15 Tokyo Leave Tokyo 20:50

B772ER

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm planning my first Japan trip for my family of 2 adults and 3 kids. Below are my draft itinenaries. I am not sure if my itinenaries are workable especially my day 7 - 9. I am not sure should i just stay at Tayama or Kanzawa and explore both Shirakawago and Nagano.

Can someone help ?

Day 1 Osaka Reach Osaka 21.20
Day 2 Osaka Osaka Castle
Day 3 Osaka Universal Studios Japan
Day 4 Osaka-Kyoto Kiyomizudera, Nishiki Market
Day 5 Osaka-Nara Nara Park, Shinsaibashi/DOTONBORI,
Day 6 Osaka-Kobe Explore Kobe by City Loop Bus
Day 7 Osaka -Kanazawa Explore Kanazawa by Kanazawa Loop Bus
Day 8 Shirakawago to Takayama Kanazawa to Shirawago
Day 9 Shirakawago to Nagano Snow Monkey , Zenko-ji Temple
Day 10 Nagano/Yokohama/Tokyo Explore Ykohama and back to Tokyo
Day 11 Tokyo AKIHABARA ,Odaiba-kaihinkoen, Shinjuku
Day 12 Tokyo Disneyland
Day 13 Tokyo Disyneysea
Day 14 Tokyo Asakusa Temple, Kappabashi Street , Ameya Yokocho
Day 15 Tokyo Leave Tokyo 20:50

It is sufficient to make a day trip to Shirakawa-go from either Takayama or Kanazawa, it's a 1 hour journey from both. Staying there can be quite pricey and the town is completely dead after dark. So you will just be having dinner and spending the evening inside the gassho-zukuri. Are you driving or taking train/bus?

kifo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It was fun staying in a gassho-zukuri... the host will usually come talk to you and teach you simple songs and how to play the sasara, while seated around the fire place... it is more about the experience than what you see

lsharon70

Reaction score
It is sufficient to make a day trip to Shirakawa-go from either Takayama or Kanazawa, it's a 1 hour journey from both. Staying there can be quite pricey and the town is completely dead after dark. So you will just be having dinner and spending the evening inside the gassho-zukuri. Are you driving or taking train/bus?

We'll be taking public transport. Should we get a 14days pass? Beside kanazawa/takayama, where else can we stay if we want go shirakawago n nagano? Any budget hotel nearby?

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
We'll be taking public transport. Should we get a 14days pass? Beside kanazawa/takayama, where else can we stay if we want go shirakawago n nagano? Any budget hotel nearby?

dun think u need 14-days pass. 7-day pass is enough to cover the trip between Osaka, Kanazawa, Takayama, Nagano, and Tokyo. these are the long distance trips that is expensive. the cost of transport for the other days within Osaka and within Toyko are cheap and not worth getting the JR pass

Lukasi

Reaction score
Hi
You are so helpful. Pls advise on my travel plan: SIN/Tokyo/Osaka/Singapore Feb 23 to March 6.
Day 1 Tokyo. Tsiji fish mkt. etc
Day 2 Tokyo to Five lakes. FujiQ Highland/ Thomas Land/ Ropeway/ Lake Kawaguichi
(Not sure if enough time to get back to Tokyo and my kid gonna spend a long time in Thomas land) Should I stay 1 night?
Day 3 Tokyo to Kyoto via shinkansen
Day 4 Kyoto
Day 5 Osaka universal studio
Day 6 Osaka to Nara
Day 7 to end of trip in Osaka as Hubby has meeting. I have to travel around with my 4 year old kid. Is stroller friendly in Osaka?

What kind of passes do I need? The shinkansen has a good deal of return trip at 21000 yen and my boy likes to take trains. But we have to end the trip in Osaka. Yet the cheapest ticket from JAL is a connecting flight from Osaka to Narita as well. No direct flight to SIN.

Tks in advance!!

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi
You are so helpful. Pls advise on my travel plan: SIN/Tokyo/Osaka/Singapore Feb 23 to March 6.
Day 2 Tokyo to Five lakes. FujiQ Highland/ Thomas Land/ Ropeway/ Lake Kawaguichi
(Not sure if enough time to get back to Tokyo and my kid gonna spend a long time in Thomas land) Should I stay 1 night?
Day 4 Kyoto
Day 6 Osaka to Nara
Day 7 to end of trip in Osaka as Hubby has meeting. I have to travel around with my 4 year old kid. Is stroller friendly in Osaka?

What kind of passes do I need? The shinkansen has a good deal of return trip at 21000 yen and my boy likes to take trains. But we have to end the trip in Osaka. Yet the cheapest ticket from JAL is a connecting flight from Osaka to Narita as well. No direct flight to SIN.

Tks in advance!!
I recommend Randen(Kyoto) and Hankai Tram(Osaka) for your kid. Technically they are more tram than train, but I think your 4yo would not argue with you on that.

These tram runs & share the road with other vehicles. They are generally cheaper but slower.

Another one is Sagano Scenic Train at Arashiyama. Your kid will like it as it is so retro and so Thomas' like. Randen Arashiyama connects to Arashiyama

Sources:
Kyoto’s Retro Trolley:The Keifuku Line | The Kyoto Project
https://jtrams.wordpress.com/category/streetcars/hankai-tramway/
Kyoto Travel: Sagano Scenic Railway (Sagano Torokko or Sagano Romantic Train)

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi
Day 4 Kyoto
Day 6 Osaka to Nara

Tks in advance!!

u dun need the JR pass coz u are only taking shinkansen one-way from Tokyo to Kyoto. u can consider getting the Puratto Kodama discount ticket for shinkansen:
Puratto Kodama: Cheap Shinkansen Tickets | nihonshock

for travelling within the city, there are various passes available for each city. but it depends on where u are going to see if the pass is worth it. u can go without passes also since the transport within the city is relatively cheap.
Osaka pass:
Osaka Amazing Pass 2014

SQ is the only airline that flights direct to Osaka. all other airline need to transit

rarenick

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For data sim card, roughly how much is it? My travel is only 6 days.

Is there any telco / provider preferred or should I avoid?

samtcy

Master Member
Reaction score
Any idea if there is morning rush hour on the trains for Saturday? Or just monday to friday?
Because I will be lugging my luggage from Minami-Senju to Ueno via JR Joban line during 7am+ on a Saturday morning.

Have once took JR Joban line at 7am on a weekday and it was seriously no joke. Ever since that experience, I've always tried to avoid morning rush hour on trains.

samtcy

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi
Day 4 Kyoto
Day 6 Osaka to Nara

Tks in advance!!

Since your boy likes trains, here are a few train museums which might interest u:
- Railway museum at Omiya (large place with many exhibits, about 30mins train ride from Tokyo)
- Umekoji Steam Locomotive museum in Kyoto (about 20mins walk from Kyoto station)
- Modern Transportation museum at Osaka (next to Bentencho station)

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any idea if there is morning rush hour on the trains for Saturday? Or just monday to friday?
Because I will be lugging my luggage from Minami-Senju to Ueno via JR Joban line during 7am+ on a Saturday morning.

Have once took JR Joban line at 7am on a weekday and it was seriously no joke. Ever since that experience, I've always tried to avoid morning rush hour on trains.

Sat might have a bit of crowd... y u dun take Hibiya line?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.