[Maylyn's Review] ASUS RT-AC87U

phayze

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am unable to access the router config page when it is set as AP with the latest firmware. Hard reset then can, but when set as AP again, i am unable to access again.

Older firmware dated sep 2014 can.

Francis85

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,

When set as AP, might want set a static IP for AP, then you are able to access, also gateway point to main router......

I am unable to access the router config page when it is set as AP with the latest firmware. Hard reset then can, but when set as AP again, i am unable to access again.

Older firmware dated sep 2014 can.

phayze

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Already set static IP. I port scan the RT-AC87U. Only port 515 and 9100 is open. Port 80 is not open.

Hi,

When set as AP, might want set a static IP for AP, then you are able to access, also gateway point to main router......

legolaz

Reaction score
With laptop cooler and latest firmware, I still had frequent dcs. (A few times a day)
With laptop cooler and Merlins latest firmware, I have only been dced once in the past week.

I m gonna insist on a new ac87 next week. Let's see how it goes.

evildoctor

Reaction score
Now we learnt our lesson le. Never get an Asus router until 1 one year later. I think Asus should really focus more on their This RT87u instead of the AC3200 router. I don't blame the guys who are trying their best to solve the bugs in the router but rather the management at Asus. Poor management from them. Just disappointing. My first asus router and i thought it will be better than my Singtel router. But turns out, not. Just disappointing. Spent a premium but got a unstable product. Will not recommend this model to anyone unless they are willing to suffer.

ahduck

Reaction score
Ok Guys,

I had to try this experiment.
Do note that following procedures will void your warranty.
You have been warned!!!

Remove the Four screws (Orange) below on Bottom case.
Two screws are hidden beneath the rubber feet. One of them has a Void warranty if tapered sticker.
Below in circled Red are where the catches/ hooks are.
Two polished screws in Yellow are used to tie down the PCB to the Bottom Case.

Bottom Case
Gx0YGBC.jpg

Top Case
2Jj3JJX.jpg

PCB with mediocre Thermal Pads
U6qOGrq.jpg

Thermal Paste and Heatsink re-applied
YIAuuPL.jpg

The router is placed in my living room in non aircon environment with Merlin's latest stable firmware.
Temperature results were 2-3°C lower on average with/ without Cooling Pad on CPU after replacing stock thermal pad and applying with Arctic MX-4 thermal paste.
No significant Temperature differences on 2.4/5Ghz cores.

Stock Thermal Pad without Cooling Pad
hgwYva9.jpg

MX-4 without Cooling Pad
U3tg6Uj.jpg

Stock Thermal Pad with Cooling Pad
AKuElY8.jpg

MX-4 with Cooling Pad
X3j7Dh2.jpg

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
PCB with mediocre Thermal Pads
U6qOGrq.jpg

Thermal Paste and Heatsink re-applied
YIAuuPL.jpg

are you able to confirm if there is any thermal pad underneath the shielding. As in, there should be a pad or thermal grease between the ICs and the shielding, or else the thermal pads or grease on the shielding will be useless..

be1b910a-a379-4120-a6aa-3c553ca3d0fc._V345831185_.jpg

Based on this pic, i can confirm that there should be something between the shielding and the ICs...

Last edited:

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oh. Thanks bro for your reply. Interestingly my sony vaio since donkey years ago can detect 5ghz so I thought fonepad can do. Thanks bro for your kind reply

ahduck

Reaction score
are you able to confirm if there is any thermal pad underneath the shielding. As in, there should be a pad or thermal grease between the ICs and the shielding, or else the thermal pads or grease on the shielding will be useless..

be1b910a-a379-4120-a6aa-3c553ca3d0fc._V345831185_.jpg

Based on this pic, i can confirm that there should be something between the shielding and the ICs...

I cannot remove the shielding. It's soldered on the board like an integrated heat spreader (IHS) just like a normal Intel processor.

poor_poor

Reaction score
Oh. Thanks bro for your reply. Interestingly my sony vaio since donkey years ago can detect 5ghz so I thought fonepad can do. Thanks bro for your kind reply

Not all mobile devices can support dual band...

asus zenfone 5,4 and 6 cannot support.

trichard

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
With laptop cooler and latest firmware, I still had frequent dcs. (A few times a day)
With laptop cooler and Merlins latest firmware, I have only been dced once in the past week.

Keep us posted....
Which merlin firmware you using ? I am using offixial nothing break so not sure to try merlin for the additional CPU temp graph...

dfran1

Reaction score

Hi,
Is your router new as a week old or? (I would get it replaced no matter what)
The only reason I ask is my 1st 87 I ran without a laptop cooler, at first it ran great but the last 2 months, no matter what I had problems.

Then I put a laptop cooler under it and problems went away, the next day I got a replacement and in keeping the cooler under it, to this day MOST of my problems with the newest firmware are gone or have calmed down.

So to me it seems running these with no cooler under them (I still think holes should be drilled on top to cool even further, BUT?) damages the device and the damage is not recoverable at all unless replaced.

Mine 1st one got so bad that my PS4 would LAG every other day, so I had to reboot every day the router, then the last week (before my replacement) I could not get rid of the lag UNLESS I flashed and WPS reset the router, so not only is the heat destroying these, the heat is corrupting the code.

This is my findings and thoughts.

DriftKing

Reaction score
Been using the PCE-68 to connect with AC87, previously keep getting Max 120DL 330UL on speedtest, uninstalled the Killer Ethernet Qualcomm suite that comes with the driver for my motherboard Ethernet, the speed went up to 330DL 330 UL!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.