Krisflyer miles redemption

Tidus_Yuna1986

Reaction score
Standard will have better availability than Saver.
Full will have better availability than Standard.
They might open up Full first, if no one takes it up, then open for Standard, then for Saver.

Anyway, if you are looking at Standard and Full economy, please consider looking at Business and First saver first, this should cost less miles than Full economy. Please don't look at anything other than Saver redemptions.

I've had one redemption (many people flying together) with economy and business saver not available. Booked first saver (which was available) and waitlist for the desired class of service.

Oh ic, thanks for ur advice. :)

wanker88

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Would appreciate some advise. I'm intending to fly to New York next year July via SQ biz class. A biz class ticket for the flight costs $9k. Redemption would require 145K miles + $1200 for taxes & surcharge.

I would have about 100K miles by early next year. Should I use all my miles and buy the shortfall from SQ to redeem my ticket? or would it be better if I bought an economy class ticket and then use my miles to upgrade to a biz class ticket?

I checked the SQ website and it states that; Saver Upgrade: Economy to Business Class needs 135K miles ( I assume after the 15% online redemption discount, it would be 115K miles). Or is there any other better way for me to pay as little out of pocket cash to get the biz class ticket to NY? Thanks!

Suleyman

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Would appreciate some advise. I'm intending to fly to New York next year July via SQ biz class. A biz class ticket for the flight costs $9k. Redemption would require 145K miles + $1200 for taxes & surcharge.

I would have about 100K miles by early next year. Should I use all my miles and buy the shortfall from SQ to redeem my ticket? or would it be better if I bought an economy class ticket and then use my miles to upgrade to a biz class ticket?

I checked the SQ website and it states that; Saver Upgrade: Economy to Business Class needs 135K miles ( I assume after the 15% online redemption discount, it would be 115K miles). Or is there any other better way for me to pay as little out of pocket cash to get the biz class ticket to NY? Thanks!

Firstly, buying the shortfall is the worst idea possible (unless you are short of a very small amount, in which case, it is debatable). SQ charges US$40 per 1000 miles. If you are need to buy 45k miles, you will need to pay US$1,800 or about SGD$2,300. Couple that with the tax you are paying, you'll be out of pocket for about $3,500.

If you want to upgrade an Economy Class ticket to business, your ticket needs to be in the highest bucket (when buying online, it's the one called 'Flexi'). These are a lot more expensive. SIN-JFK can be easily $3,000+.

So, the cheapest way is to see if you can actually accumulate the 45k miles necessary in the next few months, which depends on your spending patterns and need.

If not, buying a Flexi ticket and upgrading with miles is your best bet. Note that the tricky thing is that you cannot check on availability of upgrade unless you have a valid Flexi ticket. So, it is possible for you to buy the ticket and then later on find out that no upgrade is available.

planetshaker

Reaction score
Get Amex Ascend card, ask to pay the annual fee so you get 5x miles for 1st 3 months.

Spend $7.5k in 1 month ( how? Buy some prepaid cards etc ).

Base earn rate - 0.83 miles / $

Spend $7.5k => 5 x 0.83 x 7500 = 31125 miles

Add 300 bonus miles per $500 above $1k spend in 1 month = 3900 miles

Add 5000 bonus miles for new AMEX card holder ( usually this also given to old cardholders ).

Total = 31125 + 3900 + 5000 = 40025 miles.

You will still lack some miles so you can pay annual fee on any of the other miles earning cards to get 10k miles.

wanker88

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Firstly, buying the shortfall is the worst idea possible (unless you are short of a very small amount, in which case, it is debatable). SQ charges US$40 per 1000 miles. If you are need to buy 45k miles, you will need to pay US$1,800 or about SGD$2,300. Couple that with the tax you are paying, you'll be out of pocket for about $3,500.

If you want to upgrade an Economy Class ticket to business, your ticket needs to be in the highest bucket (when buying online, it's the one called 'Flexi'). These are a lot more expensive. SIN-JFK can be easily $3,000+.

So, the cheapest way is to see if you can actually accumulate the 45k miles necessary in the next few months, which depends on your spending patterns and need.

If not, buying a Flexi ticket and upgrading with miles is your best bet. Note that the tricky thing is that you cannot check on availability of upgrade unless you have a valid Flexi ticket. So, it is possible for you to buy the ticket and then later on find out that no upgrade is available.

Thanks for the advise :)

wanker88

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Get Amex Ascend card, ask to pay the annual fee so you get 5x miles for 1st 3 months.

Spend $7.5k in 1 month ( how? Buy some prepaid cards etc ).

Base earn rate - 0.83 miles / $

Spend $7.5k => 5 x 0.83 x 7500 = 31125 miles

Add 300 bonus miles per $500 above $1k spend in 1 month = 3900 miles

Add 5000 bonus miles for new AMEX card holder ( usually this also given to old cardholders ).

Total = 31125 + 3900 + 5000 = 40025 miles.

You will still lack some miles so you can pay annual fee on any of the other miles earning cards to get 10k miles.

Thanks. Found the card application online.

American Express Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Ascend Credit Card | American Express Singapore

But they mentioned that 2 x krisflyer miles is only for eligible purchases... and also no mention about the 5 x miles for the 1st 3 months?

planetshaker

Reaction score

fone

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There are other ways to get miles to. Lots of other credit cards around that can convert to KF miles, look around for the best earning rates.

Would you be going to US before this trip? You can also do mileage runs, but usually these are more value from US domestically. Though it becomes very very tiring for 40k plus miles over very short periods, but these comes with status miles as well.

wanker88

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There are other ways to get miles to. Lots of other credit cards around that can convert to KF miles, look around for the best earning rates.

Would you be going to US before this trip? You can also do mileage runs, but usually these are more value from US domestically. Though it becomes very very tiring for 40k plus miles over very short periods, but these comes with status miles as well.

Thanks! Unfortunately won't be going to US before my trip. What are status miles?

nicholaslee

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Usually for short trips like economy to HK it's always more worth it to pay in cash than redeem miles

fone

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi, i wana up thsi thread. occassionally when SQ has promotion on airfares .e.g HK, does the redemption for miles for the fare change accordingly? if not, then wouldnt it reach a point where it would be more worht it to buy the promo tix instead of the redeemed miles?

am i making sense?

Redemption values do not change, except for redemption promotion, like there is a current promotion for redemptions on Silkair, only 50% miles required for selected destinations (from the usual 15% online discount).

Whether to use miles or cash, depends on how you value your miles and loads of other factors. Usually, it is better to purchase tickets with a good promotion.

1) After you deduct the taxes and fuel surcharge payable, how much is it per mile, for redemption? Do you want this value back from your miles? Best value per mile would be for premium classes redemptions, however, there will be people who would like to redeem for more economy class seats instead of premium classes.

2) Is a huge chunk of your miles going to expire if you are not going to use them this time? Got some values for the miles better than letting them expire.

3) Will your promo tickets earn you miles?

4) Do you need the status miles to achieve Gold status or the spending for PPS status?

deodorant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just wondering, if you convert credit card miles to KrisFlyer miles (example from Citibank PremierMiles), do those KF miles count towards Silver/Gold achievement?

My initial guess would be "no it doesn't" but just wanna check with you more experienced sifu's.

lcpteck

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just wondering, if you convert credit card miles to KrisFlyer miles (example from Citibank PremierMiles), do those KF miles count towards Silver/Gold achievement?

My initial guess would be "no it doesn't" but just wanna check with you more experienced sifu's.

That is correct, no it doesn't.

You can only earn by flying (which is the standard in almost every frequent flyer program).

deodorant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That is correct, no it doesn't.

You can only earn by flying (which is the standard in almost every frequent flyer program).

Awwww, this year almost qualify for gold but short of a few k, thought who knows can top up from cc miles haha. Thanks!

chaotah

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
noob question

can the flyer be person A, and the Krisflyer membership be of person B?

in this way can earn points all in person B's account.

fone

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
noob question

Only works when the name matches. Name your child the same name, but put a Junior!

beanstalk6

Reaction score
noob question

Of course not, otherwise there will be a market for it by now.

Gamma~

Reaction score
Let's say now i redeem a ticket for Nov 2016 but decide to change the travel date later, from this site, it states that there is no charge to "Change of date on Singapore Airlines and SilkAir flights". But what happens if my new travel date no longer have available "KF-redeemable" seats? It's either i join the wait list queue or pay full fare? Then pay another US$30 to redeposit the miles for the unused ticket?

fone

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Let's say now i redeem a ticket for Nov 2016 but decide to change the travel date later, from this site, it states that there is no charge to "Change of date on Singapore Airlines and SilkAir flights". But what happens if my new travel date no longer have available "KF-redeemable" seats? It's either i join the wait list queue or pay full fare? Then pay another US$30 to redeposit the miles for the unused ticket?

Yes, free date change only occurs when you have availability to the date you want to change to. Alternatively, I have done by waitlisting on another itinerary but on the same name, for the new date (same origin and destination). Once the new date clears, call in and ask for date change of original to new date, giving them both itineraries. Otherwise it is to pay for redeposit and rebook, or pay the relevant service fees.

AMD_FREAK

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes, free date change only occurs when you have availability to the date you want to change to. Alternatively, I have done by waitlisting on another itinerary but on the same name, for the new date (same origin and destination). Once the new date clears, call in and ask for date change of original to new date, giving them both itineraries. Otherwise it is to pay for redeposit and rebook, or pay the relevant service fees.

Sorry to hijack this post, how many times can we change the dates FOC before we cannot change / have to pay surcharge?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.