Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I using ocbc, but they see contract value one

under 50k is the 0.275
50-100k is 0.22
100k is 0.18

SCB is 0.2 for any size right, so overall definitely looks much cheaper

I prefer put my shares in CDP

however I now thinking of applying new strategy, since now can buy 100 shares per lot

can machiam build my own etf inside SCB
example buy 20 different reits like $100 x 20 = 2k = 1 lot reit etf

quite interesting now that I think of it

I heard you prefer concentration rather than diversification but it would be fun to have more people join in buy and chat about the different counters. haha.

felixleong

Banned
Reaction score
I heard you prefer concentration rather than diversification but it would be fun to have more people join in buy and chat about the different counters. haha.

Ya, actually diversification is more fun. I know cause i used to own 10-20 stocks in my portfolio... However the end result is that my performance becomes very close to the index, as its impossible for all to outperform the index, some will underperform for sure.

End up i subscribed to warran buffett's school of thinking instead, why put $$ in your 31st idea when u can put it in your best idea?

Anyway for those who want to follow the focus style i give warning first, its much riskier and very counter intuitive.. In a sense that when your portfolio gets bigger one tends to spread out wider, it takes a lot of discipline and courage to instead keep adding to only your top few ideas and ignore the rest

Like for diversed portfolio with 30stocks or more, each year can up 20% or down 10%(30% swings) with long term returns of 8-10%

But focused portfolio with 1-5 stocks the swings probably twice as much (like 50%), example my challenger up 50% in 2013 then down 20% in 2014.. Very wide swings so u either clearly out or under perform the index

Cheers

Last edited:

felixleong

Banned
Reaction score
eh bro, buy US stocks la. can buy 1 share. then u can have holdings of 60-100 stocks easily, build ur own unit trust fund! :s13:

Yeah thats really the fun part, machiam building own etf
Can buy 20-30 tech stocks make tech etf
Or 10-20 banks make bank etf
Hahaha

I still considering la, but if make also wouldnt put too much funds, just trying out

Still prefer focused approach, as i really want to outperform the index

Reaction score
I using ocbc, but they see contract value one

however I now thinking of applying new strategy, since now can buy 100 shares per lot

can machiam build my own etf inside SCB
example buy 20 different reits like $100 x 20 = 2k = 1 lot reit etf

quite interesting now that I think of it

Actually the biggest advantage of using scb lies in the felixability of contruction your diversified portfilio. Since Singapore does not have a platform for holding a basket of different assets class etf that helps to rebalance with no trading fee. E.g betterment. Scb therefore serve as an alternative for such purpose due to its no min Commission and zero custodian fees.

It would be the greatest loss for most retail passive investor if they decided to close off this service.

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Which also explains why I'm always overly diversified. So cheap, buy more.
Blue chips, buy.
Good value, buy.
Worth a punt, buy.
Great potential, buy.
Awesome dividends, buy.
Etc...

Keverus

Banned
Reaction score
Which also explains why I'm always overly diversified. So cheap, buy more.
Blue chips, buy.
Good value, buy.
Worth a punt, buy.
Great potential, buy.
Awesome dividends, buy.
Etc...

i am also similar.

but here's how i look at it. when i buy stocks, even if go down, at least i get sth left. if i spent it, all gone, nth left. :o

juniorkin

Reaction score
Hello ! anybody bought Q &M? i damm regret selling at 0.465, now boost to 0.505. (bought at 0.43 though).
do you think this stock will come down to 0.465 soon?

wahkao3

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hello ! anybody bought Q &M? i damm regret selling at 0.465, now boost to 0.505. (bought at 0.43 though).
move on to another stock
there are 800 stocks on SGX, why so fixated on Q&M?

Bedokian

Reaction score

What is past is past, at least I presume you make some money from it. I was like you, being frustrated on letting shares go earlier before moving up further. The market is like a battlefield, you win some, you lose some, and both either a little or a lot.

On the bright side, if you could start to ignore such feelings and move on, you are one step closer to control your market emotions. ;)

juniorkin

Reaction score
What is past is past, at least I presume you make some money from it. I was like you, being frustrated on letting shares go earlier before moving up further. The market is like a battlefield, you win some, you lose some, and both either a little or a lot.

On the bright side, if you could start to ignore such feelings and move on, you are one step closer to control your market emotions. ;)

Thanks guys! yeah, now I'm drawing out my strategy investing on reit, capitamall trust n keppel reit seems promising :) any opinion?

Asphodeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Stupid question, but StanChart can't check counterparty of the counter I sold to right?

wahkao3

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Stupid question, but StanChart can't check counterparty of the counter I sold to right?
yes u are right, scb cant check counterparty

who cares, its not important. U know counterparty liao can huat meh?

Bedokian

Reaction score
Thanks guys! yeah, now I'm drawing out my strategy investing on reit, capitamall trust n keppel reit seems promising :) any opinion?

Not vested in the 2 that you mentioned. IMO most REITs are high due to the CD period.

Caveat emptor.

MonoByte

Reaction score
hello guys, already have online trading. Anyway to apply for US market through online?

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
hello guys, already have online trading. Anyway to apply for US market through online?

U should have open it at the branch when u apply for online trading?
Btw, one shot open every market, don't just limit to US market, in case you wanna trade other market next time. It's all free.

demid

Reaction score
hi,

noob question.

If the order is unfilled at the end of the day, are the transaction fees charged?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.