Ask me any questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
want to ask about tax free shopping.
If say i buy a tax free tablet from yodobashi.
Am i allowed to use the tablet in japan?
is there a rule that tourist are not allowed to remove packaging for products?

not sure about the official rule.
but they dun seal up the purchases and they usually dun ask u to show ur purchases at the customs also. so I guess it is ok. but to be safe, maybe just keep the packaging/box?

hoshiyume

Master Member
Reaction score
want to ask about tax free shopping.
If say i buy a tax free tablet from yodobashi.
Am i allowed to use the tablet in japan?
is there a rule that tourist are not allowed to remove packaging for products?

Side track tax free at some of these shops are actually 'tax free' becoz the tax already included in the final price for some items... Might want to double check if u buying big ticket items? That time I noted one of cases in the tax free shop was priced the same as the one I bought after tax- not sure if the tag in tax free shop is before or after tax

loveylim

Reaction score
helloo..

1) can I know how to go to nabana no sato from Nagoya?? I plan to take shinkansen from Osaka to Nagoya, and from there take train to JR nagashima or kinetsu nagashima station? which is more suitable (JR or kinetsu) cos I heard that there is a shuttle bus from kinetsu station.. Is it feasible to take to JR nagashima and walk to kinetsu nagashima instead? I wont want to get lost there :(

And for the shuttle bus at kinetsu nagashima station, when do I alight at or does the bus only stop at the nabana no sato area?

2) Im also intending to go to odaiba when I arrive in Tokyo.... do ur recommend taking the water boat or by the monorail? And the main attraction at odaiba is shopping? I heard that the rainbow bridge have a passage way that allows tourist to take a stroll there right? is it recommended?

thanks

Last edited:

CjieTehAwesome

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Some budget advice needed, it's my first time going there and going solo, spending around a week in just Tokyo. I'm quite gifted in finding my way and studied the train maps beforehand so I don't think I'll be severely lost.

Might go to more places on subsequent trips.

Bringing like 90k yen, probably limiting myself to 1 or 2 figmas, would I last the whole trip? 7th-13th.

lcpteck

Master Member
Reaction score
For those Tax Free shops at Yodobashi or BIC camera, make sure your purchases are above JPY10.5k or so and paid with a Visa card (extra %5 discount).

Japan seems to be DCC compliant.

sereneong19

Reaction score
I heard from a colleague that duty free items bought from the shops are packed in a sealed bag that indicated tax free (similar to the sealed bag from changi airport duty free shops).

the bag has to be remained intact till we passed the departure and customs gate or else we will be taxed again.. true?

camerah

Master Member
Reaction score
I heard from a colleague that duty free items bought from the shops are packed in a sealed bag that indicated tax free (similar to the sealed bag from changi airport duty free shops).

the bag has to be remained intact till we passed the departure and customs gate or else we will be taxed again.. true?

yea i wanted to know more about it
planned to buy a tablet to use in japan

sereneong19

Reaction score
yea i wanted to know more about it
planned to buy a tablet to use in japan

this is the first time i heard of it and based on past experience, i had not came across until my colleague told me so during his latest trip and said this was imposed during their GST hike.

Devil7

Reaction score
Yup yup, but if the hotel very big, like few hundred rooms, really can remember every guest, especially since the staff are on rotational shift? That time i stayed at Shinagawa Prince the reception is on 2nd floor but can take lift straight from 1st floor to room level.

Moreover, some ppl may look different from their passport photo if they take those makeover type. very vigilant leh.

Yup yup, just book 1 night, then check-out on 2nd day (leave your luggage with them) and come back to check-in on the 4th day (or to retrieve your luggage if you're staying at another hotel - some hotels allow).

I think Japan quite safe, just don't leave any valuables in your luggage.

Thanks for the info saffronsatire and evilerniex! Both of u have been really helpful in sharing your knowledge towards my trip planning. At least i have some rough idea on where and how to plan for the trip. Once i confirmed on my flight tix (probably next month) and draft up the full itinerary, i will probably ask u guys on the feedback again :)

CjieTehAwesome

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
ooh thanks, gotta dig out my bag of assorted adapters

going on 6th feb, first time there and solo as well

saffronsatire

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is it worthwhile to buy the Toyoko Inn membership for the sake of direct (6-mth) advanced booking? Anyone bought?

kifo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
From my personal view, accommodation is part of the holiday experience. While staying in cheap business hotel is an experience, I find all Toyoko hotels are too sterile and similar. There are a wealth of other budget hotels all over Japan and many offer competitive pricing to the Toyoko chains.

I have stayed in several Toyoko hotels but I also enjoyed staying in Super Hotels, Richmond Hotels, Dormy Inns, etc. That said, if budget is really a big concern, 1500 JPY for free stay after 10 stays and 20% off on Sundays is a pretty good deal.

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is it worthwhile to buy the Toyoko Inn membership for the sake of direct (6-mth) advanced booking? Anyone bought?

there is a 20% off for sundays and 5% off for other days. can easily cover the cost of the membership with that, especially if u stay in toyoko-inn often

saffronsatire

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm considering Toyoko Inn bcos i liked their Shinagawa location. Haven't stayed before and not sure if I'll stay again.

Maybe I should just keep checking back on booking.com if I don't want to get the membership just for the 6-mth advanced booking.

But still considering other hotels also. Shortlisted Sotetsu Fresa Inn and some others for Tokyo. I really liked Shinagawa Prince but it seems that their November prices are rather high.

Dormy Inn's Harajuku branch I don't quite like. Not that cheap and the cheapest room damn small. Location far from train station and hard to find as well.

WhyYouLikeThatOne

Reaction score
Hello.
Been lurking around hardwarezone for awhile, creating account to ask questions :)

Going to tokyo institute of technology(titech) for 6 months for exchange, been searching for sharehouses or dom, but have been overwhelmed by the number of choices, especially for sharehouses.

Wonder if there are any reccomendations for sharehouse companies with positive experiences i can look for?
have a maximum budget of 80k yen (with all the upfront, management fee or whatnots in, not very sure how its calculated.)

Thanks in advance~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.