Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

buyorsell

Reaction score
System 4 for HDB flat

To kimsim :

MHI catalogue I hv shows nominal cooling capacity of MHI outdoor unit SCM80ZJ-S1 as 8 kW. Did I read it correctly?
Would this means it has higher cooling capacity of ME 7.5kW?

ME may be easier to clean ourselves but with a scheduled cleaning package, how many of us will actually bother to spend 40-60 mins to clean all 4 fcu every 2-3 months?

On this easy self cleaning feature, anyone of ME owners actually do self cleaning of fcu consistently?

Aircon meant to serve me, not d other way round, so easy clean feature of ME doesn't appeal to me leh...

I'm indifferent to looks of remote, fcu, etc. As long as it works well n don't give me problems, i'm fine.

MHI has 3 ticks energy savings vs ME 2 ticks. Shld save more energy costs right?

I can't find many factors towards ME thus far, other then its quieter n has easy cleaning feature of dust filters etc. Am I missing out on something good fr ME?

To terumo :

I can't see any clear cut advantages of ME over MHI leh.
Anything tt I shld know to go with ME? Long term reliability? Durability of compressor or fcu? Any other hidden factors?

Tks all for yr feedback n opinion.

kimsim

Suspended
Reaction score
To kimsim :

MHI catalogue I hv shows nominal cooling capacity of MHI outdoor unit SCM80ZJ-S1 as 8 kW. Did I read it correctly?
Would this means it has higher cooling capacity of ME 7.5kW?

ME may be easier to clean ourselves but with a scheduled cleaning package, how many of us will actually bother to spend 40-60 mins to clean all 4 fcu every 2-3 months?

On this easy self cleaning feature, anyone of ME owners actually do self cleaning of fcu consistently?

Aircon meant to serve me, not d other way round, so easy clean feature of ME doesn't appeal to me leh...

I'm indifferent to looks of remote, fcu, etc. As long as it works well n don't give me problems, i'm fine.

MHI has 3 ticks energy savings vs ME 2 ticks. Shld save more energy costs right?

I can't find many factors towards ME thus far, other then its quieter n has easy cleaning feature of dust filters etc. Am I missing out on something good fr ME?

To terumo :

I can't see any clear cut advantages of ME over MHI leh.
Anything tt I shld know to go with ME? Long term reliability? Durability of compressor or fcu? Any other hidden factors?

Tks all for yr feedback n opinion.

Don't forget hdb setting at 8.5A maximun at 7.5kw cooling capacity.

nickghk1976

Reaction score
LG usually when brand new is quite cool and quiet operation, once turns to 2 yrs n above so got minor wear & tear then would be more headche like noisy or slow cold down issue or parts won't last longer than common Jap brands.
So anyone had bought before and had those oroblem as stated? My dad dun like daikin brand.

kimsim

Suspended
Reaction score
So anyone had bought before and had those oroblem as stated? My dad dun like daikin brand.

Then go with Mit Starmex Zen series.
399851C6-2BF8-4871-9A8F-7C081EA7047C_zpscquz2dbh.jpg

My living room also used Zen white one
04BEA154-8EE0-4D96-B368-37A8C9D4DFE7_zpslwae22om.jpg

terumo

Reaction score
To buyorsell,

From a technical point of view, ME equipment are of a better build.

Their after sales are better compared to MHI. (IMO)

kimsim

Suspended
Reaction score
Based on hdb info, the 8.5A limit is only applicable for old non-upgraded hdb flats? checked even my 30+ year old upgraded hdb has been provided with higher electrical loadin..

HDB InfoWEB e-Service : Electrical Loading Of Your HDB Block

Not too sure, I guess most of Aircond company already lock at 8.5A for maximum capacity output.

Unless is condo then you can try to ask the Aircon man to adjust it maximum output.

kimsim

Suspended
Reaction score
No mater how still can't belt with this single split, last weekend just took from my Jb home. More powerful at all

Just share my video here.

rendyr

Reaction score
any recommendation for single unit 12000btu (8m*4m*3m)?

brand is mitsubishi starmex should be the best?

and the usual price? no need installation, extend warranty, etc (only unit cost).

rendyr

Reaction score
To rendyr,

I tink u need 18k btu.

18k btu not so much for that room? Because before i use 9000 btu, but not cold enough, so need to upgrade to 12000btu.

I worry utility bill come out will too much if use 18000btu, or it is the same power consumption?

kimsim

Suspended
Reaction score
18k btu not so much for that room? Because before i use 9000 btu, but not cold enough, so need to upgrade to 12000btu.

I worry utility bill come out will too much if use 18000btu, or it is the same power consumption?

Inverter 18btu or 2x 1hp with system 2.
Get Mit Starmex very save energy

rendyr

Reaction score
Inverter 18btu or 2x 1hp with system 2.
Get Mit Starmex very save energy

Usually how much for single unit 18k btu? Use two 9k btu seems not nice for bedroom though. I only need unit cost though, bcos installation already have other people.

Yeah was looking forward to starmex bcos so many ppl recommend it. My 9k btu is panasonic, very disappointed with the performance.

kimsim

Suspended
Reaction score
Usually how much for single unit 18k btu? Use two 9k btu seems not nice for bedroom though. I only need unit cost though, bcos installation already have other people.

Yeah was looking forward to starmex bcos so many ppl recommend it. My 9k btu is panasonic, very disappointed with the performance.

1st you install for living room or bedroom?

If bedroom for 12btu still ok, if living room will be quite suffer.

sak2376

Reaction score
1st experience with GC's aircon installation

hi all,

Thank's Terumo guru, Kimsim & Zeppelin, others for your inputs, appreciate it..

Finally decided for Panasonic sys-3 from GC for aircon replacement and here's my experience with GC's aircon installation :

1. They quite punctual with the schedule(10am), just missed 5-10 mins.

2. Since recently they're not too busy(maybe recently not so hot and not much installation going on) and asked for senior/experience team to come prev, we've short discussion with 1 senior technician before work start. Since it's replacement from old FCU and compressor, using same piping route is the best and can use old trunking and later they replaced(patch-up & touch up) nicely after the installation.

3. Tried to be nice to them, prepared apple juice(in Jar)water and biscuits & try to be friendly and not rushing them at all since they've lot times to do the work all day long.

4. 2 technicians came in the morning and prepared all the stuff and i can say they're very nice guy, i can discuss a lot things with them..They're from JB and have short chit chat abt their family doing, really warm hearted...

5. Work starts and they split their works, one dismantled the compressor unit and the other one dismantle the current FCUs.

6. During early discussion, very happy to hear that false ceiling no need to cut but after they tried hard to pull out the existing piping(since very bad leaking), decided to cut small hole at the false ceiling(cost $50 per hole)

7. Before lunch time, the senior technician worried they can not complete their works so he asked help for 2 more technicians to help them.

8. it's quite tough to dismantle the compressor especially and take it out from it place because the window from the ledge quite small so they have to bang here and there in order to pass the window, it's quite loud and inconvenience for neighbours but seems no choice then finally can take out the old/spoiled compressor without any major damage(salute them also)

9.Lucky, the senior technician said can use existing bracket(old one daikin model) with adding small rubber so can seat properly for the Pana compressor. so again save another $150 from GC for the bracket :), very nice & good work from the senior tech.

10. Before the installation, the old technician suggested to upgrade the piping and insulation on the spot(before, we cancelled it by recommendation from Zeppelin) but after thinking and discussed with the team some while, due to urgency, we decided to upgrade one only for the master bedroom from 23 to 22 incl the insulation(i think), the rest is using 23 since not much bends and not go thru toilet and this upgrade was waived by them(thank's to them again).

11. Installation started, 4 of them start working and if you've kids around, better relocate them temporary somewhere else(parent house, friend house, etc)because it's so messy and dusty everywhere, forgot also to covered all toys, kid books.

12. They work quite efficient and fast(maybe they're experience), do that and here, some place is covered and some place is not, so dusty everywhere, this lack of them during installation, even offered them vacuum cleaner to use, they refused to use it.

13. 4pm+ works completed and test run the aircon, they patch-up all existing trunking and false ceiling hole with white cements which is not really that bad, there's some small part is missing but overall quite ok.

14. before leaving, came another senior technician to explain abt all works and what need to do in case any problem and the guy also nice & helpfull.

15. One thing is missing here with them is cleaning parts, they just clean all major rubbish but not really that good in finishing, even offered them vacuum cleaner. The dust is everywhere but since consider their service is quite ok, not an issue to clean it and mop entire floor later, just take less than one hour to complete it.

16. at nite till morning, tested and try all aircon feature, looks good and ok, not really bad and not so noisy...

fiuhhh :s22:....that's all folks, my experience with GC, hopefuly(touch wood) nothing wrong for next days...

next chapter is aircon maintenance, will browse at the aircon maintenance side in H/W zone :)

so overall with GC, i can say not really that bad and need to consider or plan couple of major things before purchase and installation.

Last edited:

LOLLIPOPPY

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

is topping up of gas covered by extended warranty? I paid $120 for it.

The service guy told me my gas is low. I've only used the aircon for 1.5 years. My air con don't even feel hot or malfunctioning and works perfectly ok. Came across this thread and people say no need to top up.

Wondering if I got conned.

rendyr

Reaction score
1st you install for living room or bedroom?

If bedroom for 12btu still ok, if living room will be quite suffer.

It is a bedroom. I want to know what is the usually the unit price for singe 12k btu, so can save money. Not really important bcos still got 9k btu but the performance is horrible, only reach 23-24 room temp with 16c fan 3 of 6.

kimsim

Suspended
Reaction score
It is a bedroom. I want to know what is the usually the unit price for singe 12k btu, so can save money. Not really important bcos still got 9k btu but the performance is horrible, only reach 23-24 room temp with 16c fan 3 of 6.

The price can check from coolserve.com
http://coolserve.com/htmdocs/coolAdvisor/cool_advisor.aspx?id=9

Just for example my 3 rm flat for each room size 4x3x2.8m were used 9k btu for each room temp can able to pre-set on 25-26C with quiet mode or fan speed 1 only.

Like your case was 2 bedroom combine into one..
You can consider for 12k Btu just slighly slower only, can turn on 2 hours b4 to sleep.

9k btu for your room really under power, once under power enery usage can be much higher normal bigger capacity power consumption :p

Actually like your bedroom size can option for 15k btu = 1.75hp of Mit Starmex but not too sure now still available in Sg market, can try to find out from Aircon shop.
http://coolserve.com/htmdocs/products/products_details.aspx?id=2398&prodName='MUY-GE15VA%20/%20MSY-GE15VA'

He he just checked from thier official website seem like 15btu had put back.
0137B4CF-DBA4-4B00-9F69-3C0812918239_zpszibyf3eo.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.