[Maylyn's Review] ASUS RT-AC87U

jingwei

Reaction score
If I buy a AC3200 from the U.S. via Amazon, can I use the router in Singapore? Any chance that the frequency band might interfere with local IDA guidelines?

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If I buy a AC3200 from the U.S. via Amazon, can I use the router in Singapore? Any chance that the frequency band might interfere with local IDA guidelines?

I'm interested to know about this too. Iirc, the channels are locked by hardware bah..

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
sorry, may i ask one question? when performing the hard reset, do i have to press and hold WPS button together with the reset button? or just the reset button alone will do?

Somebody mentioned that using the reset button might not completely erase the nvram. Thats why sometimes a reset might actually replicate the same issue. So the second resort will be using the wps to force an erase of nvram. Dont know if this is justifiable from the technical point of view..

andytang

Reaction score

No issue with the frequency. However, it is better to get locally for warranty /technical support issues. Unless it is a lot cheaper which justify the risk.

tormont

Reaction score
Somebody mentioned that using the reset button might not completely erase the nvram. Thats why sometimes a reset might actually replicate the same issue. So the second resort will be using the wps to force an erase of nvram. Dont know if this is justifiable from the technical point of view..

i managed to telnet and perform a forced nvram reset earlier this afternoon. However, after performing that, the wifi on all my idevices, which were connected to 5GHz, would automatically get disconnected after few minutes entering sleep mode. This was noticed as when i woke the devices up, the wifi logo weren't there and the logos took probably around 15sec or so for it to get connected back. weird~ I'm running Merlin beta 2.

i'm thinking if i should RMA this unit or not. What's your view on this bro?

Last edited:

dfran1

Reaction score
i managed to telnet and perform a forced nvram reset earlier this afternoon. However, after performing that, the wifi on all my idevices, which were connected to 5GHz, would automatically get disconnected after few minutes entering sleep mode. This was noticed as when i woke the devices up, the wifi logo weren't there and the logos took probably around 15sec or so for it to get connected back. weird~ I'm running Merlin beta 2.

i'm thinking if i should RMA this unit or not. What's your view on this bro?

You may have to rma it BUT I would try this firmware first, it has been great so far for me.
I put guides up to try to help the migration.

h t t p://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=22421

remove the spaces from h t t p

tormont

Reaction score
You may have to rma it BUT I would try this firmware first, it has been great so far for me.
I put guides up to try to help the migration.

h t t p://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=22421

remove the spaces from h t t p

okay, probably i'll try it later.

Now i seldom experience any drop in my wifi after i placed a cooler below my router, as well as perform nvram clearing. However, when surfing on 5GHz, it suddenly becomes really really slow. Even my 3G load faster. But, the weird thing is tho web surfing seems slow, speedtest result gives good results, about 180-220Mbps download, 150-160Mbps upload. puzzling...

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Guys,

Any good 5ghz router to recommend? I think I might sell this AC87U. Haha! Still need to cool it with network cooler and keep having 5ghz drop etc. Very troublesome lei.

tormont

Reaction score
I went to RMA my unit and the person told me not to upgrade the firmware for the new set as the the current one is not stable... Really cannot upgrade?

thiamhui

Reaction score
I went to RMA my unit and the person told me not to upgrade the firmware for the new set as the the current one is not stable... Really cannot upgrade?
They should remove the unstable version. So, which one is the stable one?

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Is he the chinese man that wears a spec? the indian man also advise the same thing. I am so appalled by their technical knowledge..

tormont

Reaction score
Is he the chinese man that wears a spec? the indian man also advise the same thing. I am so appalled by their technical knowledge..

the one that attended to me was the indian guy. I heard liao i was like huh..... seriously.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dun know how avertek survives.. doesnt make sense..

You see, if 2769 is cui, then u should downgrade to the one before that. so if the unit comes with 3754, then they downgrade to 2769?

Isnt 2769 cui?

People upgrade firmware for bug fixes, avertek downgrades firmware. LOL

ASUS@SG, I think you need to show us some light here..

3885 is worth the upgrade imo, so just ignore them and upgrade yourself from 2769..

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
he say the one that is pre-installed in my current new unit. apparently the unit comes with official FW ver. 2769.

When i rma my unit, my new unit was 2769. The chinese man wanted to downgrade to the prev version. So u sure 2769 stable?

dfran1

Reaction score
When i rma my unit, my new unit was 2769. The chinese man wanted to downgrade to the prev version. So u sure 2769 stable?

None of them are stable, I tried them all!

I think he meant buy something else.:s22:

dd-wrt is more stable than asus firmware. search for my older posts.

legolaz

Reaction score
I was saying that using the latest merlons driver and laptop cooler works. 1 week later, this has now proven to be a blip. As in 5ghz working as it should is a blip. Frequent dcs are now back to being a norm. Sigh.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.