Free financial advice

medtner

Reaction score
Hi HWZers

anybody know where I can ask for basic financial advice online for free? For example regarding my current financial situation and what I can do with my money and CPF etc

Thanks!

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi HWZers

anybody know where I can ask for basic financial advice online for free? For example regarding my current financial situation and what I can do with my money and CPF etc

Thanks!

You prefer Free advice to Good advice?

Good advice is not free, because the financial planner has to spend time to understand your financial position before giving advice.

On the other hand, if the type of advice you want is to buy high return low risk stock, this advice is freely available here.

TrueB1ue

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
sukuman never come here and say pple lazy....never come here say who u think u r....
that wu gui must have been strike by lightning already...yesterday still any how scold me. o bi gd.

Aerial86

Reaction score
Hi HWZers

Thanks!

Hi medtner,

I wouldn't mind sharing with you my views with regards to your financial situation. I feel it will be more of a discussion instead. Do let me know if you're keen.

Regards,

Alex
Finexis Advisory

superman2006

Banned
Reaction score
sukuman never come here and say pple lazy....never come here say who u think u r....
that wu gui must have been strike by lightning already...yesterday still any how scold me. o bi gd.

Dear all, Sukuman is here? You looking for me? Strike by lightning?? Come lah...lai...lai.....please strike me!!! Please, TrueB1ue. Pray lightning will strike me.
You seem like beh song? Oh...come on..relax..man..Your pride is hurt so easy? EQ must be damm low. I feel sad for you.:(

Last edited:

bakuten

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You prefer Free advice to Good advice?

Good advice is not free, because the financial planner has to spend time to understand your financial position before giving advice.

On the other hand, if the type of advice you want is to buy high return low risk stock, this advice is freely available here.

I find paid financial advice....very contradictory.

They earn commission from you...naturally means there's a conflict of interest...He sure tell u things u wanna hear so u will buy more stuff/services from him.

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

They earn commission from you...naturally means there's a conflict of interest...He sure tell u things u wanna hear so u will buy more stuff/services from him.

Fee-Based Financial Planning in Singapore - Wilfred Ling, The IFA on Duty

After you receive the advice, there is nothing preventing you from shopping around and buying the 'product' from another source at a cheaper price.

For example, if the advice you receive is to buy Singapore stocks, International Stocks, and bonds and he gives you the recommended percentage allocation based on an assessment of your risk tolerance, there is no need for you to buy unit trusts from the advisor. Using the recommended portfolio, you can go buy ES3, A35, VRWD by yourself. ... and since you are active in the gold thread, you can add on gold bars as well.

Shiny Things

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I think you're confusing "paid financial advice" and "paid-for-by-commissions" financial advice.

If you're not paying your adviser anything, then he's (or she's) getting paid by commissions on the product he sells you - and that means he's incentivised to steer you toward things with high commissions. That's the conflict. He won't tell you "oh go set up a Stanchart account and buy some ES3, some A35 and some VWRD" because he gets no commission out of that; he'll tell you "oh you should invest in these fraudulent Brazilian housing projects" because he gets a 10% commission, or "oh you should invest in this investment-linked insurance policy" because he gets a 7% commission.

If you're paying your adviser a flat fee, or an hourly rate, and he's not getting commissions from the product he sells you (this bit is important), then there's no conflict of interest. You're hiring him, and you're paying him, so he's incentivised to do a good job for you. This is how I do it.

frenchbriefs

Banned
Reaction score
Lots of financial summit and Adam khoo seminar give free financial advice.whether or not u take their advice is another thing.

But if u sit thru their 3 hour talk,sometimes got free buffet and drinks.

FactoryEffex

Reaction score
I think you're confusing "paid financial advice" and "paid-for-by-commissions" financial advice.

If you're not paying your adviser anything, then he's (or she's) getting paid by commissions on the product he sells you - and that means he's incentivised to steer you toward things with high commissions. That's the conflict. He won't tell you "oh go set up a Stanchart account and buy some ES3, some A35 and some VWRD" because he gets no commission out of that; he'll tell you "oh you should invest in these fraudulent Brazilian housing projects" because he gets a 10% commission, or "oh you should invest in this investment-linked insurance policy" because he gets a 7% commission.

If you're paying your adviser a flat fee, or an hourly rate, and he's not getting commissions from the product he sells you (this bit is important), then there's no conflict of interest. You're hiring him, and you're paying him, so he's incentivised to do a good job for you. This is how I do it.
I personally don't think paid Financial advice will work in the long run. Insurance is sold and not bought.

How much will a fee based consultant charge per hour? My bet likely to be close to lawyers rates. If so, will anyone willing to wake up in the morning to visit and pay a consultant to review his Financial planning? I doubt so.

Furthermore, there is not incentive for a Financial consultant to meet more customers in the long run. If I am a fee based consultant, likely I will charge $200-$500 per hour for the work I do and likely my client base is high networth as they are more likely to pay such fee. Will I bother to meet more customers likely no, will I bother to update my clients if there is a plan likely also no as I don't think my client will pay me a hourly rate for a new plan.

Sent from LG G3 D855 using GAGT

focus1974

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
very simple...
free advice online now...

1) BUY H&S
2) BUY TERM
3) INVEST THE REST

w1rbelw1nd

Master Member
Reaction score
I personally don't think paid Financial advice will work in the long run. Insurance is sold and not bought.

How much will a fee based consultant charge per hour? My bet likely to be close to lawyers rates. If so, will anyone willing to wake up in the morning to visit and pay a consultant to review his Financial planning? I doubt so.

Furthermore, there is not incentive for a Financial consultant to meet more customers in the long run. If I am a fee based consultant, likely I will charge $200-$500 per hour for the work I do and likely my client base is high networth as they are more likely to pay such fee. Will I bother to meet more customers likely no, will I bother to update my clients if there is a plan likely also no as I don't think my client will pay me a hourly rate for a new plan.

Sent from LG G3 D855 using GAGT

Well, based on my personal experience trying to advise my Mom to meet up a fee-based planner (whose company charges a huge 4 figure sum for its services), I must say it is really difficult to convince the man on the street on the value of such services.

About the incentive to provide continual service, I think these fee-based agents recognise that good reputation and word of mouth can get them to places. Look at Wilfred Ling, he has been sharing a lot online even though it earns him pretty much nothing directly. I would believe that a good fee-based agent will be more than happy to provide after-sales service, simply in the hope that his clients will recommend friends and family. :)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.