NTU/NUS/SMU 2015-2016 Intake

Status
Not open for further replies.

darthllord

Reaction score
Hi all, need your opinion, heres some info:

5th sem cGPA: 3.62
L1r4 raw: 11

What do you think are my chances of getting into nus fass? Am i better off just trying for say ntu public policy instead(10th percentile 3.63). Anyone here from ntu public policy? Any prerequistes?

Good luck to all those applying! seems like alot of people here are better gpa-wise compared to me.. sigh :o

Honestly speaking NUS FASS abit hard. 10th percentile: 3.76
You're not very near it. And unless you have something extraordinary to back it up. I highly doubt so buddy.

NTU much more better chance but is unpredictable. Some years high demand some years low.

Best fill up the DA section hopefully you get in through DA.

fixierspray

Reaction score
in my opinion NTU should be no problem. NUS have good chance but not surely. Related course ?
yup, I am in an IT related diploma. the thing is I am not very sure which uni would be a better choice for comp sci, in terms of environment, facilities, the students & lecturers, and the whole atmosphere of the school.

Havok_ex

Reaction score

What do you think are my chances of getting into nus fass? Am i better off just trying for say ntu public policy instead(10th percentile 3.63). Anyone here from ntu public policy? Any prerequistes?

Good luck to all those applying! seems like alot of people here are better gpa-wise compared to me.. sigh :o

No pre-requisites for public policy. But take FASS if you can get in. NTU public policy is basically political science with less substance IMO.

darthllord

Reaction score
yup, I am in an IT related diploma. the thing is I am not very sure which uni would be a better choice for comp sci, in terms of environment, facilities, the students & lecturers, and the whole atmosphere of the school.

This one really up to you. Try not to choose based on ranking. Although NUS has high ranking, NTU is number 1 in upcoming young universities. So ranking not best to compare.

Try choosing based on location or ask around some seniors you know. Both have similar environment and world class institutes.

zero_88

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am NTU computer Science

any question abt NTU can PM me, dun bother ask those "course counsellor" during those open house

You think they will tell u the truth meh? :s13:

Think carefully b4 u come com science

darthllord

Reaction score
I am NTU computer Science

any question abt NTU can PM me, dun bother ask those "course counsellor" during those open house

You think they will tell u the truth meh? :s13:

Think carefully b4 u come com science

OK can i know then com science and com eng
which one harder ? which one better social life etc etc

Dr.Reid

Reaction score

Got an offer for NTU public policy last year, went for their tea party to check out what's the course like/talk to the students lecturers etc. The course seems rather plain and basically training your analysis skills for the next 3 years. I think the dealbreaker for me was when I realized most (or all iirc) of the lecturers are foreigners, and mostly PRCs :s22: Doubt I can catch their accents should I have accepted the offer :s13:

FxCorsair

Reaction score
Got an offer for NTU public policy last year, went for their tea party to check out what's the course like/talk to the students lecturers etc. The course seems rather plain and basically training your analysis skills for the next 3 years. I think the dealbreaker for me was when I realized most (or all iirc) of the lecturers are foreigners, and mostly PRCs :s22: Doubt I can catch their accents should I have accepted the offer :s13:

Uh oh... really? mind sharing your gpa? just for a feel... I cant pick up those thick accents too haha:s13:. Maybe ill consider something else. Problem for me is that with my gpa, theres nothing much for me to pick and choose:(. Thanks for replying as well :)

heybrothaaa

Reaction score
DA/NAA

Hi everyoneee, literally just created an account to post here.

Anyway, I'm really curious about what kind of achievements people (who got in through DA/NAA) have. Last year when I went to the NUS open house, a student told me that he knew someone from Architecture who scored 3.0 GPA but got in through DA.

Anyone has any idea?

avalanste

Banned
Reaction score
Hi everyoneee, literally just created an account to post here.

Anyway, I'm really curious about what kind of achievements people (who got in through DA/NAA) have. Last year when I went to the NUS open house, a student told me that he knew someone from Architecture who scored 3.0 GPA but got in through DA.

Anyone has any idea?

That person prolly had experience working in large interior design firms, maybe won design awards (YDA, red dot e.t.c.), or participated/represented in national competitions that exhibits his talents, not just in academics.

There are too many grads using results without achievements trying to enter uni, so DA/NAA is there.

Last edited:

Wathen

Reaction score
That person prolly had experience working in large interior design firms, maybe won design awards (YDA, red dot e.t.c.), or participated/represented in national competitions that exhibits his talents, not just in academics.

There are too many grads using results without achievements trying to enter uni, so DA/NAA is there.

Erm can I ask if I don't have any achievements should I just ask my poly lecturer to be the appraiser anyway? Wayang by using the leadership qualities, positive influence, integrity, etc etc.

Or just totally ignore the DA/NAA part? I already wrote some random cca and the 300 words part.

heybrothaaa

Reaction score
Owing to the large number of applications received, we are releasing the outcome in batches from April to July.

We use email as our primary means of communication. Therefore, please select a reliable email provider. There may also be situations beyond our control where we may not be able to notify you due to incorrect or invalid email address or due to technical problems. It is the responsibility of the applicant to check your status online or send an email to our office if you have not received any notification from us.

So, this just turned up on my NTU Application Status Menu... APRIL?!?!?!?!?! It's gonna be a longgggg wait :s22:

Weaboo

Honorary Member
Reaction score
Owing to the large number of applications received, we are releasing the outcome in batches from April to July.

We use email as our primary means of communication. Therefore, please select a reliable email provider. There may also be situations beyond our control where we may not be able to notify you due to incorrect or invalid email address or due to technical problems. It is the responsibility of the applicant to check your status online or send an email to our office if you have not received any notification from us.

So, this just turned up on my NTU Application Status Menu... APRIL?!?!?!?!?! It's gonna be a longgggg wait :s22:
It's customary every year ma

intime

Reaction score
Erm can I ask if I don't have any achievements should I just ask my poly lecturer to be the appraiser anyway? Wayang by using the leadership qualities, positive influence, integrity, etc etc.

Or just totally ignore the DA/NAA part? I already wrote some random cca and the 300 words part.

Just go ahead with the submission, but don't put too much hope on it.

As those qualities you mention are very common and is expected of any applicants.
Generally NAA refers to achievements outside school, example international olympiads, national/international sports competition and arts competition, active community service with a NGO, NYAA, entrepreneurship ventures, WorldSkills, competitions related to the course.

HAHHAA I SUCK AT MATHS :eek:
I guess you can say good bye to a large part of your social life when you get into the computer-related course.
- If you don't study hard in maths, a possible scenario will be,
- You fail maths courses during semester 1, then your curriculum plans get interrupted because you have to repeat in semester 2, you have a separate timetable from your clique, you gradually get further from your clique. You fail again in sem 2, then it snowballs into other sem, you can't move on to courses with math pre-requisite, life becomes a mess. :s22::s22::s22:

So yeah... if you have not been actively doing programming stuff that requires mathematical skills in your leisure time, example, trying to create a mobile app/website/building own server, my guess is computer courses are not for you.
Similar to social sciences courses, those people are expected to be reading current affairs, upcoming course-related studies and actively have opinions on them. Example, writing a blog or on SNS and sending opinion articles to news agency. :s22:

Dr.Reid

Reaction score
Uh oh... really? mind sharing your gpa? just for a feel... I cant pick up those thick accents too haha:s13:. Maybe ill consider something else. Problem for me is that with my gpa, theres nothing much for me to pick and choose:(. Thanks for replying as well :)

5th Sem CGPA - 3.72

I think with your gpa, you might stand a chance to enter that course :s13:
Are you going to serve NS for the next 2 years? If so, you can wait for the next year and apply with your 6th sem for better chances (provided you do well :D)

Anyway, you can also try SMU. Their applications are not so results-orientated, but whether you can fare well in their interviews too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.