Very bad experience with Hometown Moving Services!

victimahsoh

Reaction score
I used Hometown Moving Services on my 7th time of moving house, and I now regret that I didn’t use another mover just because of a mere $100 difference.

I chanced upon icompare.sg, a website that promises to offer multiple quotations for 1 enquiry. I signed up and asked it to recommend a moving company. Strangely, it only recommended me one, and that was Hometown Moving Services. When I requested for more through the website, I didn't receive any more replies or recommendations. It was only later that I learnt from the mover boss, Jeffrey, that he is on very good terms with the staff in the referral company, sigh.

I went ahead with Hometown Moving Services since it was recommended and the price was right. Jeffrey assured me that they are an established company since 1984 with a Facebook page. I went into their Facebook page and thought I hired a cheap & reliable company after reading it. The moving plus miscellaneous charges (excluding deposit for boxes) would work out to be $900 for up to three 14 footer containers.

That is where my nightmare started. On 8th January, the Hometown movers came late by over one and half hour, attributing it to a CBD jam. Unluckily for me, it rained heavily in the afternoon. As mine is a condo, moving has to be finished by 5pm. My husband pleaded with the condo management to extend till 6.30pm for us. Hometown managed to move two containers of stuff to my new house.

When I came back from work to my new house, I was horrified to see my coffee table and two of my cabinets scratched. These were bought and moved into the original house two years ago at a cost of close to $5000. When they were relocated by Hometown’s movers, they acquired long scratches at the sides and front which were very obvious. These didn’t look like accidental bumps; it was more like the furniture had been roughly dragged across a surface. It really made my heart ache as these are my prized pieces that I took a long time to hunt for. Naturally I started complaining and making noise while the movers were still fitting the furniture; because it wasn’t just one piece, three of my precious wooden furniture got scratched. I unwittingly uttered a word ‘stupid’ in a fit of anger. Suddenly, one worker confronted me and yelled at me “why you call me stupid?”. I was in shock, I never expected a worker to shout in my face, when the word wasn’t directed to anyone in particular (I was just expressing my dismay at the unfortunate situation). My usual way of letting out frustration is uttering words like s-h-i-t, stupid, seow, faint ah, goondoo etc. I believe most of us have this habit. But he insisted I called him stupid, he turned very aggressive and kept scolding me, in the end, we ended up quarrelling. He also accused me of calling him ‘b-a-s-t-a-r-d’ when I actually said ‘basket’ (another reflexive swear word). He stormed off and told his supervisor. His supervisor wasn’t any nicer, he told me I should say sorry; he even rudely asked how a mother could behave in this way in front of her children, telling me he was a father and he would not show such example. Well, this time round, I did ‘apologise’, but in an angry manner because I can’t believe that I was being featured as someone bad in front of my child. I just wanted to end the episode of senseless squabbling … I shouted ‘sorry’ a few times back to the worker with my hand waving out to him. Suddenly the supervisor shook his fists several times right in front of my face, and shouted at me, “Is this the way you say sorry?”. My god, I shook my hand at a distance at the worker, he shook his fists right in my face, almost hitting me and yelling at me at the same time.

I was very angry, my furniture had been damaged and the workers were close to physically assaulting me. I called up the boss, Jeffrey, and said I was not paying till Hometown finished moved the third container on the next day. I was worried they would mess up my things or cause further damage as we were now in conflict with each other. Jeffrey promised he would get his carpenter to restore the furniture. I seriously doubted that they can look as good again, but is there any choice? Jeffrey said the workers were hired on a daily rate, so they need to be paid on the spot after moving. He promised me he would give me a new team the next day, thus I paid. I was told to pay cash to the workers, but I was not told earlier by Jeffrey so I had to make a trip to the ATM to withdraw cash. That has never happened in any of my previous moving, where I had just issued cheques. Despite the damages caused by Hometown and the conflict that had just transpired, I paid as I would not short-change the other workers due to the bad attitudes of the two that quarrelled with me. I began to suspect that Hometown uses ad-hoc workers that are inexperienced in moving, as I have never suffered so badly damaged furniture before in my previous seven times of moving house.

On the next day, Hometown Moving Services caused another horrifying experience. This time, the new parquet flooring in my children’s room was badly scratched in a few areas, one of my fan’s blades was broken, my storeroom shelving was left outside my house, and my small cabinet was missing. The Hometown movers did not heed my maid’s instructions to move the boxes to the right places. In fact, they put some in wrong places and we have to carry and move the heavy boxes to the right rooms. Out of plain laziness, they didn’t dismantle the two metal shelves in the rental house; they just carried and moved them to my new house and then said one could not fit into the storeroom, so they put one shelf inside the store and left one in my corridor. That night, my hubby and I had to dismantle it and then reassemble it inside the storeroom. It took us a whole morning as we are not apt in handling such work. I called up Jeffrey and asked why he given me the same team, he told me the other team cannot find available time to move house. He complained one of his men got badly hurt while moving my bunk bed. Gosh, it is as if my furniture is to be blamed for hurting his worker! If I have been informed earlier that day about having the same team, I would have taken a day’s leave and make sure everything is done satisfactorily. Jeffrey was aware of my concern about having the same team, but he still put in the same team without my knowledge. When I complained about Hometown damaging my new parquet, he promised he would get his carpenter to fix my flooring and damaged furniture at one go.

Today is 24 January, it has been 16 days since we moved. Jeffrey has scheduled two appointments for his carpenter to come to my house; for these two times, I took leave because I really wanted to see my precious furniture properly restored and for two times the carpenter didn’t come and Jeffrey failed to inform me. When I sent an angry SMS, he messaged my husband that I threatened him. I admit, I threatened to post a negative review in his company’s Facebook and complain to the referrer (icompare.sg). Unsurprisingly, Hometown Moving Services’ Facebook page has disappeared completely; that is why I decide to post in forums to warn people of this terrible company.

Jeffrey kept saying he is responsible, or else he wouldn’t complete moving my house on the second day. Gosh, I didn’t know I need to be grateful that a mover move the rest of my furniture on the next day if they cannot complete moving in one day due to the rain. It is their responsibility to finish a paid job regardless of unforeseen circumstances! When I told him the moving issues in my house, Jeffrey lamented about Hometown’s problems. If he thinks he is not making money moving my house, then don’t take up the job.

Jeffrey said he can’t give a definite date for the carpenter because ‘it is a favour’ and it is not included in the moving package. Now he makes it seem that I need to patiently wait for him to get a favour to restore the furniture that HIS movers damaged, so again I should be grateful ... even though the carpenter has never come as promised.

Jeffrey said the damages are accidents unavoidable in moving. In my seven times of moving, nothing of this sort has happened before. Only once has my children’s bunk bed not been fitted properly, and even so, the moving company responsibly sent someone to rectify that promptly. If it is damage on one piece of furniture, I could just dismiss it as an accident, but it happened on TWO long cabinets AND my coffee table. There must be something terribly wrong with their moving technique. My master and third bedroom’s parquet were not scratched with the first day moving, but why on the second day, my second room’s parquet had suffered so many scratches caused by the SAME team after the squabbling incident.

Jeffrey kept saying his movers are experienced, but experienced movers would not drag my heavy massage chair to test if it was working. I mentioned I wanted to discard the massage chair, so they could have tested it out to see if it could be salvaged for themselves. That is okay but the way they dragged the chair to the power point left two long lines across the marble flooring of the living room in the rental house. Headache! I requested time and again on the moving day that they discard three big items in the rental house but Hometown did not want to do so as they said they were short of time. In the end, I have to pay much more to get another moving company to remove them 2 days later.

My advice, NEVER get a mover simply because it is cheap. And avoid icompare.sg if you need recommendations. Check if the moving company has insurance. Jeffrey told me it was not necessary to keep cost competitive but I learnt my lesson painfully. My furniture, fan and new flooring got damaged, I had fists flying literally centimetres from my face for the first time of my life and I was accused of threatening when I got angry that he never keeps his promises. Has he realised who is the one being victimised and threatened from the beginning? Where is the customer’s rights? You won’t find it in Hometown Moving Services. Jeffrey hinted that I should have a heart for the underprivileged and he says ‘who wants to be movers’. I do charities, but on occasions deemed appropriate. When I move house, I want professionals; sorry to say, but I can’t afford hiccups and I can’t deal with ‘rough ‘people when things happen. I shiver at the thought of being aggressively confronted by two male workers in my own house. I thought local movers are better, and I have always supported local workers; I was wrong, they are not necessarily better as some lack the right attitude.

If only I knew that Jeffrey is a smooth talker, an ‘armchair boss’ employing underqualified movers that cannot handle my furniture properly. He twists everything I say to make it sound as if I, the victim, is in the wrong. I don't have enough post count to attach links yet, but I will do so soon. I have enough photos of my damaged furniture and screenshots of our SMS conversations to prove that they are a very unprofessional company. :mad:

Last edited:

hahnhahnhahn

Reaction score
Hi, so far did you have any compensation? Or u swallow all the damages? I just had my bad experience with Noah Intra, a new company and my Sealy mattress had a tear on the corner. Called up the person and he said he will send his guy down to assess if the damage is really due to his move or whether I did it on my own? Movers nightmare...

xiefax

Reaction score
Hello
I was wondering is it really that bad ?
I mean i do know some of the workers from HomeTown Moving Services.

hahnhahnhahn

Reaction score
Gave a bad review on Noah Intra Movers facebook 1 day ago and guess what? Now they closed down their facebook page! they are a registered company also..

Wondering is there any form of protection for customers in this industry...can report to CASE?

victimahsoh

Reaction score
hahnhahnhahn said:
Hi, so far did you have any compensation? Or u swallow all the damages? I just had my bad experience with Noah Intra, a new company and my Sealy mattress had a tear on the corner. Called up the person and he said he will send his guy down to assess if the damage is really due to his move or whether I did it on my own? Movers nightmare...

Hello
I was wondering is it really that bad ?
I mean i do know some of the workers from HomeTown Moving Services.

Hi, I typed out a long reply but it got deleted because the server logged me out. :mad: So here goes again ...

I asked for compensation, but communicating with Jeffrey makes my blood boil. His carpenter never came, so I had to get the contractor who did my parquet to restore my damaged wooden furniture. I asked Jeffrey to pay half the cost, I wonder if he will ... Why half? Because I just want to move on. If not, I can go on and on till CNY is over and things wont get done, then I will get bitter. He keeps saying everyone is busy now, and to ask people to do not so easy. He didn't tell me that when they want to collect money while I was complaining about the damages; he just assured it will be restored, but now the tune is different and it sound as if I am unreasonable and demanding. Sigh. As for the spray paint portions of those furniture which my parquet man can't do anything about, I guess I will have to wait for his carpenter to come ... one day.

You asked if the movers are really bad? Go and see the photos that I uploaded in Renotalk.com (sorry, post count not high enough to insert links yet; just Google 'victimahsoh renotalk'). I found more damages after I unpacked all my stuff and have time to inspect, but I didn't bother to upload these. What movers are they when they can't handle furniture properly - like dragging my heavy massage chair across marble floor, and leaving my heavy study table in an upright angle overnight that almost crippled my drawer? Then they leave some furniture unassembled, shelving outside the house and boxes in disarray. Our family had to spend time to put things back in place ... have you ever experienced this kind of lousy moving company? Granted, they may be angry, but where is the customer service? What about me who has paid and my husband who bought lunch for all of their workers?

I'll take it as a lesson learnt, I won't waste time on a recourse. I am too busy myself. Besides posting here to warn people, it's also a way to let out some anger ... Now I have learnt and I know what to look out in a mover and that I should never consult an online referrer.

Guess what, I went to icompare.com to complain but I couldn't find any email or phone number to do so. So, I ask for a referral again for a service, and I got one where only one company was recommended. You can try it out, pretty strange ... I will never use them anymore. This whole experience has made me very bitter.

hahnhahnhahn

Reaction score
Hi sis... I understand you.. all my furnitures were badly scratched, tear, crack etc... these movers basically put the blame on us and not accept any responsibility at all.. Likewise, I wrote a bad review on Noah Intra facebook page and the next day the facebook page was gone.. But in carousell, they cant remove it so hope my reviews will warn others about such unprofessional movers..

Ya, you are right, we need to move on.. just wondering how customers are being protected in such situations..

Do you have any proof of receipt from the movers? Can try report to CASE or report damage of personal property? My movers never produce any form of receipt.. I hope their bad attitude will make them poor as always..

Last edited:

s0lidus1980

Reaction score
TOK KONG MOVERS BEWARE

Never try Tok Kong Movers. Very bad attitude working staffs. Stares at people and scolds vulgarities.
Extremely impolite.

Stalls the lifts and shouts at you like Gangsters

:s12::s12::s12::s12::s12:

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Never try Tok Kong Movers. Very bad attitude working staffs. Stares at people and scolds vulgarities.
Extremely impolite.

Stalls the lifts and shouts at you like Gangsters

:s12::s12::s12::s12::s12:
I know people say not to judge a book by its cover but I will never use any company with what I consider to be a "weird" name. Tok Kong? Seriously? :s8:

josephtan972

Reaction score
I used TOK KONG Movers recently. Their services was superb. They were very efficient and most important their staff was very friendly. I was recommended by my friend to try them and their service is very good. will definitely recommend to all my friend. I believe good things must share. Keep it up TOK KONG MOVERS.

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I used TOK KONG Movers recently. Their services was superb. They were very efficient and most important their staff was very friendly. I was recommended by my friend to try them and their service is very good. will definitely recommend to all my friend. I believe good things must share. Keep it up TOK KONG MOVERS.
You register an account in May and just post 1 post and that is to praise Tok Kong. Seriously, how stupid do you think people are? Better luck next time.

:s13: :s8: :vijayadmin:

josephtan972

Reaction score
You register an account in May and just post 1 post and that is to praise Tok Kong. Seriously, how stupid do you think people are? Better luck next time.

:s13: :s8: :vijayadmin:
I spend my time to register and post a praise for Tok kong movers because I don't think they deserve this type of comment as they really go the extra mile in helping me to shift my stuff. People who use them before will know what am I talking about.

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I spend my time to register and post a praise for Tok kong movers because I don't think they deserve this type of comment as they really go the extra mile in helping me to shift my stuff. People who use them before will know what am I talking about.
Riiiiiiiiiiiiight.................. :s13::s13:

lovelybee

Reaction score
BAD experience with MOVER

OH my god, i just had the same experience yesterday with NOAH INTRA, worst is they never wrap the items properly for 1st shipment, and one of the coffee table was crack and they claim that it was originally crack, on second shipment they didnt wrap anything at all for the bed and mattresses, the mover owner, Mr Sam claimed that they have been in this line for 12 years experience, and common sense hygiene was ignore by them. When i confirmed the crack with the coffee table it was original and ask him why he didnt wrap, the answer was shocking,..... " coffee table they wrapped also can caused damage, why they need to wrap the bed and mattress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wat is this ... they printed on their van that they are PROFESSIONAL mover !!!!!!!

cathccl

Reaction score
This is horrible
We been calling Sam from Noah Intra mover since last night
Theybare suppose to move my things at 11am this morning but they had not been picking up my call
First they say sms to say they are busy then they sme to say they lost their phone.
He still didn't pick up his phone and we still waiting for him!!!!
Never use them !!

Dotadot

Reaction score
Not sure how many of you had experience of movers who comment on your sale of bulky items, hoping to get noticed and making some quick bucks?

I have no problems at all with these movers, as they are just making a living. Until you get one of those real lousy experience and you don't even get a sorry but load of crap excuses.

I am another one who received terrible experience from Noah Movers on Carousell and got no where to feedback!!

I am not sure how they are connected but I must say my experience with Noah movers and especially one so-called Operations Manager - TOM!

First they sent a truck too big (at 10am) that cannot come into my condo and then needed 3 hours to come back for the delivery. (1pm)

Then 3 hours later (1pm) they did not turn up and I called them and Tom said will come in 45 mins. (2pm)

They claim to come as promised but said the security guard did not allow them to come in. They just left without informing me and when I called them 4 hours later (6pm), TOM give excuses after excuses!!!

END RESULT? I lost my buyer and the buyer was equally frustrated as she needed the bed and frame for her cancer-stricken Mother in law.

Just wanted to share my lousy experience with Noah movers and more so his network by the name of TOM!!

Horrible experience!

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not sure how many of you had experience of movers who comment on your sale of bulky items, hoping to get noticed and making some quick bucks?

I have no problems at all with these movers, as they are just making a living. Until you get one of those real lousy experience and you don't even get a sorry but load of crap excuses.

I am another one who received terrible experience from Noah Movers on Carousell and got no where to feedback!!

I am not sure how they are connected but I must say my experience with Noah movers and especially one so-called Operations Manager - TOM!

First they sent a truck too big (at 10am) that cannot come into my condo and then needed 3 hours to come back for the delivery. (1pm)

Then 3 hours later (1pm) they did not turn up and I called them and Tom said will come in 45 mins. (2pm)

They claim to come as promised but said the security guard did not allow them to come in. They just left without informing me and when I called them 4 hours later (6pm), TOM give excuses after excuses!!!

END RESULT? I lost my buyer and the buyer was equally frustrated as she needed the bed and frame for her cancer-stricken Mother in law.

Just wanted to share my lousy experience with Noah movers and more so his network by the name of TOM!!

Horrible experience!
What has a cancer stricken woman go to do with all this and why can't the daughter just buy her a brand new bed, rather than wait for your second hand bed?

Imyname

Reaction score
Leave your review for mover

Hi, I typed out a long reply but it got deleted because the server logged me out. :mad: So here goes again ...

I asked for compensation, but communicating with Jeffrey makes my blood boil. His carpenter never came, so I had to get the contractor who did my parquet to restore my damaged wooden furniture. I asked Jeffrey to pay half the cost, I wonder if he will ... Why half? Because I just want to move on. If not, I can go on and on till CNY is over and things wont get done, then I will get bitter. He keeps saying everyone is busy now, and to ask people to do not so easy. He didn't tell me that when they want to collect money while I was complaining about the damages; he just assured it will be restored, but now the tune is different and it sound as if I am unreasonable and demanding. Sigh. As for the spray paint portions of those furniture which my parquet man can't do anything about, I guess I will have to wait for his carpenter to come ... one day.

You asked if the movers are really bad? Go and see the photos that I uploaded in Renotalk.com (sorry, post count not high enough to insert links yet; just Google 'victimahsoh renotalk'). I found more damages after I unpacked all my stuff and have time to inspect, but I didn't bother to upload these. What movers are they when they can't handle furniture properly - like dragging my heavy massage chair across marble floor, and leaving my heavy study table in an upright angle overnight that almost crippled my drawer? Then they leave some furniture unassembled, shelving outside the house and boxes in disarray. Our family had to spend time to put things back in place ... have you ever experienced this kind of lousy moving company? Granted, they may be angry, but where is the customer service? What about me who has paid and my husband who bought lunch for all of their workers?

I'll take it as a lesson learnt, I won't waste time on a recourse. I am too busy myself. Besides posting here to warn people, it's also a way to let out some anger ... Now I have learnt and I know what to look out in a mover and that I should never consult an online referrer.

Guess what, I went to icompare.com to complain but I couldn't find any email or phone number to do so. So, I ask for a referral again for a service, and I got one where only one company was recommended. You can try it out, pretty strange ... I will never use them anymore. This whole experience has made me very bitter.

victimahsoh, you can leave your review on SGHomeNeeds so more people can know about your case. Potential customers can be made more aware and avoid these unpleasant incidents/companies.

If you'd like to engage a mover or read reviews of movers, check out SGHomeNeeds.

Last edited:

lifeishard

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I used Hometown Moving Services on my 7th time of moving house, and I now regret that I didn’t use another mover just because of a mere $100 difference.

I chanced upon icompare.sg, a website that promises to offer multiple quotations for 1 enquiry. I signed up and asked it to recommend a moving company. Strangely, it only recommended me one, and that was Hometown Moving Services. When I requested for more through the website, I didn't receive any more replies or recommendations. It was only later that I learnt from the mover boss, Jeffrey, that he is on very good terms with the staff in the referral company, sigh.

I went ahead with Hometown Moving Services since it was recommended and the price was right. Jeffrey assured me that they are an established company since 1984 with a Facebook page. I went into their Facebook page and thought I hired a cheap & reliable company after reading it. The moving plus miscellaneous charges (excluding deposit for boxes) would work out to be $900 for up to three 14 footer containers.

That is where my nightmare started. On 8th January, the Hometown movers came late by over one and half hour, attributing it to a CBD jam. Unluckily for me, it rained heavily in the afternoon. As mine is a condo, moving has to be finished by 5pm. My husband pleaded with the condo management to extend till 6.30pm for us. Hometown managed to move two containers of stuff to my new house.

When I came back from work to my new house, I was horrified to see my coffee table and two of my cabinets scratched. These were bought and moved into the original house two years ago at a cost of close to $5000. When they were relocated by Hometown’s movers, they acquired long scratches at the sides and front which were very obvious. These didn’t look like accidental bumps; it was more like the furniture had been roughly dragged across a surface. It really made my heart ache as these are my prized pieces that I took a long time to hunt for. Naturally I started complaining and making noise while the movers were still fitting the furniture; because it wasn’t just one piece, three of my precious wooden furniture got scratched. I unwittingly uttered a word ‘stupid’ in a fit of anger. Suddenly, one worker confronted me and yelled at me “why you call me stupid?”. I was in shock, I never expected a worker to shout in my face, when the word wasn’t directed to anyone in particular (I was just expressing my dismay at the unfortunate situation). My usual way of letting out frustration is uttering words like s-h-i-t, stupid, seow, faint ah, goondoo etc. I believe most of us have this habit. But he insisted I called him stupid, he turned very aggressive and kept scolding me, in the end, we ended up quarrelling. He also accused me of calling him ‘b-a-s-t-a-r-d’ when I actually said ‘basket’ (another reflexive swear word). He stormed off and told his supervisor. His supervisor wasn’t any nicer, he told me I should say sorry; he even rudely asked how a mother could behave in this way in front of her children, telling me he was a father and he would not show such example. Well, this time round, I did ‘apologise’, but in an angry manner because I can’t believe that I was being featured as someone bad in front of my child. I just wanted to end the episode of senseless squabbling … I shouted ‘sorry’ a few times back to the worker with my hand waving out to him. Suddenly the supervisor shook his fists several times right in front of my face, and shouted at me, “Is this the way you say sorry?”. My god, I shook my hand at a distance at the worker, he shook his fists right in my face, almost hitting me and yelling at me at the same time.

I was very angry, my furniture had been damaged and the workers were close to physically assaulting me. I called up the boss, Jeffrey, and said I was not paying till Hometown finished moved the third container on the next day. I was worried they would mess up my things or cause further damage as we were now in conflict with each other. Jeffrey promised he would get his carpenter to restore the furniture. I seriously doubted that they can look as good again, but is there any choice? Jeffrey said the workers were hired on a daily rate, so they need to be paid on the spot after moving. He promised me he would give me a new team the next day, thus I paid. I was told to pay cash to the workers, but I was not told earlier by Jeffrey so I had to make a trip to the ATM to withdraw cash. That has never happened in any of my previous moving, where I had just issued cheques. Despite the damages caused by Hometown and the conflict that had just transpired, I paid as I would not short-change the other workers due to the bad attitudes of the two that quarrelled with me. I began to suspect that Hometown uses ad-hoc workers that are inexperienced in moving, as I have never suffered so badly damaged furniture before in my previous seven times of moving house.

On the next day, Hometown Moving Services caused another horrifying experience. This time, the new parquet flooring in my children’s room was badly scratched in a few areas, one of my fan’s blades was broken, my storeroom shelving was left outside my house, and my small cabinet was missing. The Hometown movers did not heed my maid’s instructions to move the boxes to the right places. In fact, they put some in wrong places and we have to carry and move the heavy boxes to the right rooms. Out of plain laziness, they didn’t dismantle the two metal shelves in the rental house; they just carried and moved them to my new house and then said one could not fit into the storeroom, so they put one shelf inside the store and left one in my corridor. That night, my hubby and I had to dismantle it and then reassemble it inside the storeroom. It took us a whole morning as we are not apt in handling such work. I called up Jeffrey and asked why he given me the same team, he told me the other team cannot find available time to move house. He complained one of his men got badly hurt while moving my bunk bed. Gosh, it is as if my furniture is to be blamed for hurting his worker! If I have been informed earlier that day about having the same team, I would have taken a day’s leave and make sure everything is done satisfactorily. Jeffrey was aware of my concern about having the same team, but he still put in the same team without my knowledge. When I complained about Hometown damaging my new parquet, he promised he would get his carpenter to fix my flooring and damaged furniture at one go.

Today is 24 January, it has been 16 days since we moved. Jeffrey has scheduled two appointments for his carpenter to come to my house; for these two times, I took leave because I really wanted to see my precious furniture properly restored and for two times the carpenter didn’t come and Jeffrey failed to inform me. When I sent an angry SMS, he messaged my husband that I threatened him. I admit, I threatened to post a negative review in his company’s Facebook and complain to the referrer (icompare.sg). Unsurprisingly, Hometown Moving Services’ Facebook page has disappeared completely; that is why I decide to post in forums to warn people of this terrible company.

Jeffrey kept saying he is responsible, or else he wouldn’t complete moving my house on the second day. Gosh, I didn’t know I need to be grateful that a mover move the rest of my furniture on the next day if they cannot complete moving in one day due to the rain. It is their responsibility to finish a paid job regardless of unforeseen circumstances! When I told him the moving issues in my house, Jeffrey lamented about Hometown’s problems. If he thinks he is not making money moving my house, then don’t take up the job.

Jeffrey said he can’t give a definite date for the carpenter because ‘it is a favour’ and it is not included in the moving package. Now he makes it seem that I need to patiently wait for him to get a favour to restore the furniture that HIS movers damaged, so again I should be grateful ... even though the carpenter has never come as promised.

Jeffrey said the damages are accidents unavoidable in moving. In my seven times of moving, nothing of this sort has happened before. Only once has my children’s bunk bed not been fitted properly, and even so, the moving company responsibly sent someone to rectify that promptly. If it is damage on one piece of furniture, I could just dismiss it as an accident, but it happened on TWO long cabinets AND my coffee table. There must be something terribly wrong with their moving technique. My master and third bedroom’s parquet were not scratched with the first day moving, but why on the second day, my second room’s parquet had suffered so many scratches caused by the SAME team after the squabbling incident.

Jeffrey kept saying his movers are experienced, but experienced movers would not drag my heavy massage chair to test if it was working. I mentioned I wanted to discard the massage chair, so they could have tested it out to see if it could be salvaged for themselves. That is okay but the way they dragged the chair to the power point left two long lines across the marble flooring of the living room in the rental house. Headache! I requested time and again on the moving day that they discard three big items in the rental house but Hometown did not want to do so as they said they were short of time. In the end, I have to pay much more to get another moving company to remove them 2 days later.

My advice, NEVER get a mover simply because it is cheap. And avoid icompare.sg if you need recommendations. Check if the moving company has insurance. Jeffrey told me it was not necessary to keep cost competitive but I learnt my lesson painfully. My furniture, fan and new flooring got damaged, I had fists flying literally centimetres from my face for the first time of my life and I was accused of threatening when I got angry that he never keeps his promises. Has he realised who is the one being victimised and threatened from the beginning? Where is the customer’s rights? You won’t find it in Hometown Moving Services. Jeffrey hinted that I should have a heart for the underprivileged and he says ‘who wants to be movers’. I do charities, but on occasions deemed appropriate. When I move house, I want professionals; sorry to say, but I can’t afford hiccups and I can’t deal with ‘rough ‘people when things happen. I shiver at the thought of being aggressively confronted by two male workers in my own house. I thought local movers are better, and I have always supported local workers; I was wrong, they are not necessarily better as some lack the right attitude.

If only I knew that Jeffrey is a smooth talker, an ‘armchair boss’ employing underqualified movers that cannot handle my furniture properly. He twists everything I say to make it sound as if I, the victim, is in the wrong. I don't have enough post count to attach links yet, but I will do so soon. I have enough photos of my damaged furniture and screenshots of our SMS conversations to prove that they are a very unprofessional company. :mad:

wow, pls...only you may say stupid while in angry mode to an outsider and i totally agreed with the supervisor...never expected a 'worker' to shout at your face? hello...you mean just because they are worker you can abuse them?

you mentioned you moved 7 times, why didn't you go back to previous movers if they gave you good experience? this is ownself wanna be cheap cannot blame others lor...they maybe lousy mover but you don't call people stupid, basket etc...you mean it is ok for others to call you biatch?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.