[Maylyn's Review] ASUS RT-AC87U

darkMace

Reaction score
Any advice is much appreciated.

I am tech noob. On M1 200mbps. Was trying to replace my N56 with the RT-AC87u. Am trying to set up the router However I am not able to get a internet connection at all. Already try resetting modem and was connected via ethernet cable.

There is a red light next to the on the icon that looks like Planet Saturn.

Thanks in advance.

thiamhui

Reaction score
Any advice is much appreciated.

I am tech noob. On M1 200mbps. Was trying to replace my N56 with the RT-AC87u. Am trying to set up the router However I am not able to get a internet connection at all. Already try resetting modem and was connected via ethernet cable.

There is a red light next to the on the icon that looks like Planet Saturn.

Thanks in advance.
ASUS router got similar GUI. Just copy all the settings over.

topcow75

Reaction score
No sound no picture on the fix already from Asus? If I remember correctly they kept saying working on it and every time says it will be released soon.

I bet they must have channeled all their resources working on their new upcoming router. Haiz.... Time to consider letting go this router and stick to a more reliable brand. Any bros here can kindly recommend? Thanks.

thiamhui

Reaction score
No sound no picture on the fix already from Asus? If I remember correctly they kept saying working on it and every time says it will be released soon.

I bet they must have channeled all their resources working on their new upcoming router. Haiz.... Time to consider letting go this router and stick to a more reliable brand. Any bros here can kindly recommend? Thanks.
Luckily there's 3rd party firmware. Anyone knows how to go about requesting a Merlin firmware using old 5 GHz driver?

trichard

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Must complain more liao ...............:D

Linksys ??????????

DeathChant

Reaction score
is it normal for a need to do manual reset on the AC87U router? I travel alot and I set up the internet at home for my wife. Then she calls me to tell me every 1week plus to 2 weeks, the phone is connected to wifi but cannot load internet or send or receive whatsapp.. so I told her to press the on/off button and wait 1 min and on again and then can work le.

These routers need to restart so often? Last time routers used to just leave it on and don't care or touch them de..

So is it the firmware problem or my hardware problem or is it normal? If it is normal, anyway to schedule a auto reboot so we don't have to on and off the router every 1week plus to 2 weeks?

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The latest 378.50 doesn't work well on my unit. I'm wondering if there's a special version using the 5 GHz driver of 3.0.0.4.376.2769.

Nope. It doesnt make sense when the newer quantenna driver is better than the older version, many users have concluded this already.

BestPilot

Reaction score
Turning off Nat acceleration fixed my 5G drop issue from iPhone 6. Any other users having the same experience?

dfran1

Reaction score
Turning off Nat acceleration fixed my 5G drop issue from iPhone 6. Any other users having the same experience?

give it time, you will get the same internet loss even with that off, I tried and tested for a while.
It is not dropping btw, what it is doing is
the ios device says it is connected to wifi but we get no internet access, from what I have read the ios device is fighting (easiest way to describe it) with the router and the router is being stubborn so it does not allow access, until you click wifi off then on to renew. That is the way I understand the problem, who to blame, my finger goes more toward asus, but.....

Last edited:

BestPilot

Reaction score
give it time, you will get the same internet loss even with that off, I tried and tested for a while.
the ios device says it is connected to wifi but we get no internet access, from what I have read the ios device is fighting (easiest way to describe it) with the router and the router is being stubborn so it does not allow access, until you click wifi off then on to renew. That is the way I understand the problem, who to blame, my finger goes more toward asus, but.....

Yup. Same symptoms. Full wifi bars but no internet. But so far ok now with Nat acceleration off.

thiamhui

Reaction score
So it's not affecting non-iOS AC devices?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.