Wireless IP Camera thread

geckoSG

Master Member
Reaction score
Most Cloud based 3G models will eat a lot of your data plan as they need to send heartbeat out every second. Best to do a test and check around first.

Vstarcam sends a per sec heartbeat, so, I could see my data plan soar like madness when I tried to put 2 cams on 3G previously.

geckoSG

Master Member
Reaction score
Old model, the H series I believed, yup, wireless after a year or so starts to lose it signal strength, kinda product limitation, somemore, it has reached EOL, no support already. The T series r much better, in terms of WiFi chipset, but seems that I noticed china made ones always have issue with TKIP wireless regardless of branding. Also, did anyone of you guys realized that mostly china produced cameras when using p2p mobile phone streaming actually drops HD view to VGA so that you can see smoother streaming?

Dr_ARCHer

Master Member
Reaction score
OK tried all the wireless settings available to camera and 2 different brands of router. Updated firmware to the latest as well. Have 3 cams and they all behave the same way, it is stable 24x7 on wired, but often (less than a day) needs reboot on wireless, no image and can't connect. This has been the case since day 1, looks like some software issue on this model, or I'm just unlucky with 3 of some faulty batch. Marix simply says it is old model so best I buy new ones.

I'm trying Aztech HD cams next, seems to do HD via wireless stable. Enough of troubleshooting vstarcams for me, it shouldn't be so difficult.

Why don't you place the wireless camera just next to (or rather about 1m away from) the wireless router and see if there is any disconnect issue? There are a lot of variables here, and a flaky wireless coneection could be due to the router too. For example, the latest AC87U seems to have dropped connection on the 5GHz band (particularly if you have iOS devices). Do a site survey to see how congested the wireless bands are.

At one stage, I have a timer which switches off and on a camera. Now itching to try one of those wireless switch controllers (e.g. Belkin).

Fuzzywuz

Reaction score
Why don't you place the wireless camera just next to (or rather about 1m away from) the wireless router and see if there is any disconnect issue? There are a lot of variables here, and a flaky wireless coneection could be due to the router too. For example, the latest AC87U seems to have dropped connection on the 5GHz band (particularly if you have iOS devices). Do a site survey to see how congested the wireless bands are.

At one stage, I have a timer which switches off and on a camera. Now itching to try one of those wireless switch controllers (e.g. Belkin).

No need to try this and that. Base on my experience with these China brands, just RTV. Just that batch having problems. Its just that the China factory does not want to waste resources fixing it so they pass the **** down.

geckoSG

Master Member
Reaction score
If within 1 metre still disconnect for all 3, then best to check wireless. U can actually request for remote check by MARIX. They can help u identify the connectivity issue.

Over phone, everyone can only try to guess the problem. Try set wireless to pure-N, WPA2-psk, aes encryption. Only 20MHz bandwidth, use channels within 1~11. Then reset ur cams n redetect wireless. See if this helps

Last edited:

IntelFlash

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
my samsung ip camera can't connect to wifi, keeps changing to blue light. Pretty unreliable

geckoSG

Master Member
Reaction score
my samsung ip camera can't connect to wifi, keeps changing to blue light. Pretty unreliable

Could it be your WIFI? Try set to 1 single band, encryption method and reset your camera's wifi to the changed settings. See if it improves or not.

geckoSG

Master Member
Reaction score

Can you post your router's wifi setting here? This will help everyone
understand the source of problem. If you can see the wifi information on the camera, post it here as well.

Certain chipsets do not work well with WPA/WPA2-PSK mixed modes with TKIP/AES method. China cameras are mainly affected (be it vstarcam, foscam, easyn, etc), hope this is not the same case for samsung.

geckoSG

Master Member
Reaction score
All their IP camera can do the above. Now is CNY period, they r all busy doing site jobs. All or most of their Demos are online Loh.

geckoSG

Master Member
Reaction score
Onvif is good if u need longer recording to nvr. Else their T series seems much more stable, the ones I sold to my colleague when I upgrade mine are still well n kicking

geckoSG

Master Member
Reaction score
Windows wise, you can use the super client from vstarcam. Stability in terms of its connectivity and performance.

C wise, I believe still on the rock, especially the C7823WIP model which was sold online. There are various reports from people that the camera cannot connect over 3G/4G whereas it was only able to work within LAN.

Trying to confirm more from MARIX on this model since they posted coming soon while people are already selling online. Price dropped from $99 to now $90 within a week from parallel importer. :s13:

Tommorrow

Reaction score
Looking for a camera to monitor my pet when I’m not at home. I want one that can be controlled remotely – meaning I’m able to adjust the camera angle/tilt/zoom using an app on my phone or computer when I’m not at home.

Was looking at this – DCS-5222L (B1 / B2) - mydlinkTM Cloud Wireless HD PTZ Infrared IP Camera

Any views/feedback on this product? Or any recommendations for better cameras?

molecule

Reaction score
Try setting your wireless as wpa2-psk, AES encryption. This normally will work. The last time i saw such issue is the router makes camera use TKIP encryption during setup, then after a while starts changing to AES, when that happens, all my cameras went offline.

Finally after experimenting I found the solution. Gecko anaylsis is almost correct, seems like somehow the router and camera connects using TKIP encryption, so it only works if the router is set to WPA2 TKIP+AES. Prev when set to "AES only" it constantly disconnects. Now it is stable.

geckoSG

Master Member
Reaction score
So, your camera is set as TKIP? You might see disconnection also. Normally, I set router at AES only, then reset cameras to factory default, then connect the cameras to router using AES, speed of streaming is much smoother than I use TKIP method.

geckoSG

Master Member
Reaction score

molecule

Reaction score
So, your camera is set as TKIP? You might see disconnection also. Normally, I set router at AES only, then reset cameras to factory default, then connect the cameras to router using AES, speed of streaming is much smoother than I use TKIP method.

I didn't change anything on the ipcam, so it is still WPA2 AES.
Only changed the router setting from WPA2 AES to WPA2 TKIP+AES. Then it works! Dunno why.

Last edited:

bjory

Reaction score
Just to check all Vstarcam no need to setup and ddns correct? It should work like Dlink cloud service?

Gribber

Banned
Reaction score
Just to check all Vstarcam no need to setup and ddns correct? It should work like Dlink cloud service?

yes (as long you are able to connect to a device with DHCP and on LAN - for wireless you need to setup the SSID after connecting to LAN) And their cloud service is not as robust as D-Link nor fast.

I will rather be able to setup my own DDNS because loading back to the camera will be instant compared to waiting for their servers to load the footage (relatively slow).

Edit: found a way to insert your own DDNS, Port, and etc like normal IP camera.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.