[Maylyn's Review] ASUS RT-AC87U

dfran1

Reaction score
Latest version of DD-WRT is 01-29-2015-r26081, right?

Do not use that one
The 5ghz does not work , use the one before it 1-20-2015
I am now 38 hours into ds-wrt still working absolutely perfectly
Read my post one. LINK CLICK THIS. No IOS problems for 2 mornings or anytime now, same distance as Asus firmware also (tho I did increase the signal to 81 on the 5GHz in the initial setup). read my last post at the end of that thread. I will update steps to include the 81 power for 5GHz tonight when I get home.

Asus I have lost faith in your firmware , you better absolutely make sure your next release is perfect or lots of people will be looking elsewhere for hardware , and read my post on your problems and fix them . As for me your hardware seems great , your firmware sucks, I'll stick with dd-wrt

Last edited:

mozzie1992

Reaction score
hi can i ask does the bandwidth monitor in AC87u displays in real-time?

i face this issue that sometimes the bandwidth monitor hang there and all the devices are at 0kb

oric1

Reaction score
hi can i ask does the bandwidth monitor in AC87u displays in real-time?

i face this issue that sometimes the bandwidth monitor hang there and all the devices are at 0kb

You're not alone. Sometime you see negative no. too :s11:

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I see this video I sianz half........... so BIG !

WOW SO BIG! I supposed that's for heat dissipation since it's using 12V power supply.

I believe ASUS's upcoming 8-antenna router's size will be somewhere near there too.

Oh, BTW, for an 8-antenna router if you turn it upside down it'll look like a spider with 6 legs and 2 feelers. Looks great to have a spider, huh? I wonder can turn and use such a router upside down or not.

:D

trichard

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You're not alone. Sometime you see negative no. too :s11:
Welcome to the buggy firmware ........:s13:

Come to think of it ........ paying S$399 for such a crap hardware look nice outside ..... and we like beta tester ............. make us very stupid .........:mad:

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the buggy firmware ........:s13:

Come to think of it ........ paying S$399 for such a crap hardware look nice outside ..... and we like beta tester ............. make us very stupid .........:mad:

Very odd leh, you have been using the AC87U without any issues for some good time isn't it? What is the change? ;) Not everyone using the AC87U has the similar issues that surfaced up, AC87U isn't @ it's peak but not to the extend of multiple 5GHz disconnections, under-performing etc.

RMerlin has already been saying that regardless stock ASUS/Merlin's/DD-WRT firmware are using the same BCM SDK6 GPL and same Quantenna wireless drivers which are all close sourced, so one shouldn't keep flashing from A to B to C firmware and isn't these are the same? besides the additional functions and features?

As for DDWRT, I'm not saying you guys should or shouldn't use it. If you know what you are doing and are not experiencing any weird behaviors after flashing it. Good for you. If one isn't that tech savvy, please use the ASUS stock firmware or Merlin's.

ASUS allows third party firmware but if things are not working as intended, please approach the firmware authors whom compile it.

Nevertheless let ASUS TW RD continue with their work and hopes the next release will be a stable firmware for all :)

Last edited:

trichard

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Very odd leh, you have been using the AC87U without any issues for some good time isn't it? What is the change? ;) Not everyone using the AC87U has the similar issues that surfaced up, AC87U isn't @ it's peak but not to the extend of multiple 5GHz disconnections, under-performing etc.

I did not notice until the recent I came to know to check the log of 5Ghz DC when device in sleep mode which does occur. I verify that the 4x android phones have connected before going to sleep for the night.

Next day 6am I wake up checking the log .... all the 4 devices no longer in the wifi log as connected.... until I wake up the devices all whatapps will flood in ..

I have no issue when the device on 5Ghz and no suddenly DC thought.

trichard

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I was about to drop this AC87U and jump to X8000 Night hawk ...

At forum of X8000 - R8000 - AC3200 Nighthawk X6 - NETGEAR Forums

I saw these thread ...

Serious stability issues remain - why are firmware releases far and few between? - NETGEAR Forums
Woke up to a 300$ brick. - NETGEAR Forums
Randomly drops internet. - NETGEAR Forums

Oh well ........... X8000 is no better .............:(

Seem like a drop is a norm for the "cutting" edge router ....

Perhaps next released of flag shipped router will have the label as - NonDrop 2.4Ghz/5Ghz processing power?

Last edited:

tormont

Reaction score
I did not notice until the recent I came to know to check the log of 5Ghz DC when device in sleep mode which does occur. I verify that the 4x android phones have connected before going to sleep for the night.

Next day 6am I wake up checking the log .... all the 4 devices no longer in the wifi log as connected.... until I wake up the devices all whatapps will flood in ..

I have no issue when the device on 5Ghz and no suddenly DC thought.

Totally understand what u mean. experiencing the same thing. However, for my case, I find that using 2796 official FW, there's not much of an issue. Devices still get DC when using 2796 FW, but they will all get connected back without fail. So messages can still be received without problem. Unlike 2796, using merlin's 378.50 (and 3885 official FW), devices dun get connected back after several times of DC when they are in sleep mode. That's what causes messages not to be received on devices during the night.

So far, I would say if i stay on 2796 FW, asus AC87U is pretty much usable. Just my opinion.

I tried dd-wrt firmware on previous asus router before (forgot is on RT-n56u or RT-n13u). I dun like the overall web interface, that's why i stick to either merlin's or Asus's official firmware for my ac87u. But different ppl have different preference, so dd-wrt may suit other's needs better.

Last edited:

trichard

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Totally understand what u mean. experiencing the same thing. However, for my case, I find that using 2796 official FW, there's not much of an issue. Devices still get DC when using 2796 FW, but they will all get connected back without fail. So messages can still be received without problem. Unlike 2796, using merlin's 378.50 (and 3885 official FW), devices dun get connected back after several times of DC when they are in sleep mode. That's what causes messages not to be received on devices during the night.

So far, I would say if i stay on 2796 FW, asus AC87U is pretty much usable. Just my opinion.

I tried dd-wrt firmware on previous asus router before (forgot is on RT-n56u or RT-n13u). I dun like the overall web interface, that's why i stick to either merlin's or Asus's official firmware for my ac87u. But different ppl have different preference, so dd-wrt may suit other's needs better.

Hey ... 2769 firmware will it DC and auto Connect again ? or you need to wake up the phone then it auto connect back ?

I also dont like the dd-wrt interface and hence now on Merlin 2769 code FW.

dfran1

Reaction score
Just to let you all know about my dd-wrt experience

I am now 51 hours, that is 2 days 3 hours, and absolutely NO problems at all
1. All devices are performing perfectly. No wifi loss or anything with either 2.4 and 5GHz:)
2. NO ps4 lag, this would happen within 12-24 hours every time I reset it with any version of Asus firmware or variation. :)
3. My IOS app to LAN device control has linked within 15 seconds every time with 5GHz (this is something Asus firmware or any variation has NEVER EVER done after 6 hours from a reboot, EVER!) :)
4. My distance with this dd-wrt is just as good as Asus firmware still :)

All I have to say is WOW!!! This is something I have never seen with this router, everything working (at least what I use), WOW!

At first I did not like the interface, but now I love it better than Asus, LOTS more info and options, that actually work and auto update on their own.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
New Firmware 4376

New firmware is out at asus website:

Asus RT-AC87U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.4376
[Important] This firmware version only for Japan

Release note:
- Fix security issues.

Networking - RT-AC87U - ASUS

Although it says only for Japan, RMerlin has a suggestion for the notice.

SmallNetBuilder Forums - View Single Post - ASUS RT-AC87 Firmware - Official Releases

So whether to update, its up to individuals.

Don't expect this firmware release to fix your vlan loop and 5Ghz drop.. No change in BCM/quantenna drivers.

UPDATE:
- UI glitch has been eradicated
- no significant wireless improvement
- no need for a hard reset

Last edited:

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

2769 is running the old quantenna driver, only firmware 3764 and above will have the new one. However, since you prefer 2769, then you should continue to stay on it until a more stable release is available.

to me, 2769 is far less stable than 3885, so i believe 3885 will be the baseline for me..

tormont

Reaction score
Hey ... 2769 firmware will it DC and auto Connect again ? or you need to wake up the phone then it auto connect back ?

I also dont like the dd-wrt interface and hence now on Merlin 2769 code FW.

yup, all the devices connected to 5GHz, do DC and auto connect. Two iPhone 6 in my use stayed connected for more than 3hours before DC. But after DC, it got connected back.

My iPhone 6 plus kept connected for 5 hours plus. Similarly, will reconnect after it got DC. messages flow in properly.

There's a HTC one M7 in my hse, apparently, it DC-ed like every 15minutes or so, but will auto connect back too. Initially for HTC M7, it got DC-ed and does not reconnect, but after i turn off the a setting related to turning off wifi/data connection thing in 'power saving', as well as setting it to never for turning wifi off in sleep mode in 'advance wifi setting'. The device will reconnect every time it DC.

Last edited:

tormont

Reaction score
2769 is running the old quantenna driver, only firmware 3764 and above will have the new one. However, since you prefer 2769, then you should continue to stay on it until a more stable release is available.

to me, 2769 is far less stable than 3885, so i believe 3885 will be the baseline for me..

I flashed back and forth between 2769, 3885 and merlin's 378.50. I would say 378.50 is good when they aren't in sleep mode. Whenever my devices goes into sleep mode, then wifi will drop and devices don't get reconnected back, mainly the iPhones in my house. That become very annoying. But 378.50 does resolve the issue of sudden wifi drop when actively surfing on 5GHz band. With 378.50, i can surf without the wifi being cut off (Previously on 3764, even though the wifi icon is showing connected, there is no internet access). Hence, yeah, I think I would stay with 2769 until something better comes out. sigh.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.