[Maylyn's Review] ASUS RT-AC87U

thiamhui

Reaction score
I flashed back and forth between 2769, 3885 and merlin's 378.50. I would say 378.50 is good when they aren't in sleep mode. Whenever my devices goes into sleep mode, then wifi will drop and devices don't get reconnected back, mainly the iPhones in my house. That become very annoying. But 378.50 does resolve the issue of sudden wifi drop when actively surfing on 5GHz band. With 378.50, i can surf without the wifi being cut off (Previously on 3764, even though the wifi icon is showing connected, there is no internet access).
This is how busy the phone and router are when I'm asleep, fw is 378.50.

Feb 17 01:17:34 dnsmasq-dhcp[2638]: DHCPREQUEST(br0)
Feb 17 01:17:34 dnsmasq-dhcp[2638]: DHCPACK(br0) iPhone
Feb 17 01:20:45 dnsmasq-dhcp[2638]: DHCPREQUEST(br0)
Feb 17 01:20:45 dnsmasq-dhcp[2638]: DHCPACK(br0) iPhone
Feb 17 01:28:16 dnsmasq-dhcp[2638]: DHCPREQUEST(br0)
Feb 17 01:28:16 dnsmasq-dhcp[2638]: DHCPACK(br0) iPhone
Feb 17 01:32:48 dnsmasq-dhcp[2638]: DHCPREQUEST(br0)
Feb 17 01:32:48 dnsmasq-dhcp[2638]: DHCPACK(br0) iPhone
Feb 17 01:43:39 dnsmasq-dhcp[2638]: DHCPREQUEST(br0)
Feb 17 01:43:39 dnsmasq-dhcp[2638]: DHCPACK(br0) iPhone
Feb 17 01:45:20 dnsmasq-dhcp[2638]: DHCPREQUEST(br0)
Feb 17 01:45:20 dnsmasq-dhcp[2638]: DHCPACK(br0) iPhone

It doesn't connect back until I wake up.

Now I'm back to 2769 again. :D

ASUS@SG

Suspended
Reaction score
New firmware is out at asus website:

Asus RT-AC87U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.4376
[Important] This firmware version only for Japan

Release note:
- Fix security issues.

Networking - RT-AC87U - ASUS

Although it says only for Japan, RMerlin has a suggestion for the notice.

SmallNetBuilder Forums - View Single Post - ASUS RT-AC87 Firmware - Official Releases

So whether to update, its up to individuals.

Don't expect this firmware release to fix your vlan loop and 5Ghz drop.. No change in BCM/quantenna drivers.

UPDATE:
- UI glitch has been eradicated
- no significant wireless improvement
- no need for a hard reset

Dear all,

Please do not flash this firmware.

Best regard,
JK

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
But you still ask me the reason :(

I'm asking you the rationale mah... Of course i know the reason is because its for japan, but why is it only for japan? The fact that i found the firmware on your local website, its arouses my curiosity even further. Thats why i ask what..... hehe :s13:

trichard

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just to let you all know about my dd-wrt experience

I am now 51 hours, that is 2 days 3 hours, and absolutely NO problems at all
1. All devices are performing perfectly. No wifi loss or anything with either 2.4 and 5GHz:)
2. NO ps4 lag, this would happen within 12-24 hours every time I reset it with any version of Asus firmware or variation. :)
3. My IOS app to LAN device control has linked within 15 seconds every time with 5GHz (this is something Asus firmware or any variation has NEVER EVER done after 6 hours from a reboot, EVER!) :)
4. My distance with this dd-wrt is just as good as Asus firmware still :)

All I have to say is WOW!!! This is something I have never seen with this router, everything working (at least what I use), WOW!

At first I did not like the interface, but now I love it better than Asus, LOTS more info and options, that actually work and auto update on their own.
Very encouraging posting ................:D

ArcticCheetah

Banned
Reaction score
That made me laugh... We need facts why is it not suitable for globally universal hardware :D
If there is no hardware difference then 99% is due to different Radio Regulatory Standards think FCC Radio limits.
JP got up to channel 14 with lower TXpower on 2.4GHZ cannot remember what happens on 5GHZ.
No need to thank me. :vijayadmin:

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So why won't they simply state it?

good question..

Well, one reason is for corporate image. I am using this firmware version now, nothing much to experience and everything still the same. My channels are still the same even after reset. i guess the regional lock is hardware based..

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Guys, need a bit of advice.
Next month I will be upgrading my fibre broadband and
be changing to AC87u.
However I have 8 LAN clients I need to connect
so far anyone got issue when connecting a unmanaged switch
to AC87u?
Or should I get a unified service router instead?

ahduck

Reaction score
good question..

Well, one reason is for corporate image. I am using this firmware version now, nothing much to experience and everything still the same. My channels are still the same even after reset. i guess the regional lock is hardware based..

maybe you can try changing the router time zone + system language to see if additional # will be unlocked?

tormont

Reaction score
Guys, need a bit of advice.
Next month I will be upgrading my fibre broadband and
be changing to AC87u.
However I have 8 LAN clients I need to connect
so far anyone got issue when connecting a unmanaged switch
to AC87u?
Or should I get a unified service router instead?

I'm using tplink TL-SG108 (unmanaged switch) with AC87U. No problem experienced on my side.

abfackeln

Reaction score
There are still problems with VLAN loopback and port forwarding and DMZ dying with latest firmware. It has been MANY MANY months .. I am at the limit of my patience with ASUS.

ASUS@SG please state here for the record, will ASUS Singapore honor a refund out of goodwill? If yes, there is A CHANCE I may buy ASUS products again, if ASUS rejects, I will NEVER BUY another ASUS product again and I will actively persuade friends and family to never buy another ASUS product.

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There are still problems with VLAN loopback and port forwarding and DMZ dying with latest firmware. It has been MANY MANY months .. I am at the limit of my patience with ASUS.

ASUS@SG please state here for the record, will ASUS Singapore honor a refund out of goodwill? If yes, there is A CHANCE I may buy ASUS products again, if ASUS rejects, I will NEVER BUY another ASUS product again and I will actively persuade friends and family to never buy another ASUS product.

Just buy another brand and be free of ur problems? Lol... To get a refund after using a product for xx months is rare. Unless the defect is clear enough and BLB in dell monitors. But if the internet works fine, then ur issues isnt strong enough for a refund.

I highly doubt one person's doing can damage ASUS.....

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.