NTU/NUS/SMU 2015-2016 Intake

Status
Not open for further replies.

intime

Reaction score
why the CNA version like so little degree? how abt computer science, why nvr mention in NTU?

The news don't always put out full details, for full details you can see the MOE documents.
You can just take it that computer science is lump together with computer engineering in CNA report. :s13:

Nosferato4

Reaction score
The news don't always put out full details, for full details you can see the MOE documents.
You can just take it that computer science is lump together with computer engineering in CNA report. :s13:

why the CNA version like so little degree? how abt computer science, why nvr mention in NTU?

Actually, CNA only took the courses which were seemingly more popular. For what purpose Idk. To garner more attention? :s22:

Is this the latest GES?

11021125_10152707464592934_6001056033221335253_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/ChannelNew...3.96699.93889432933/10152707464592934/?type=1

Oh I forgot to add in: For users wondering if this picture above^ is an accurate representation of pay:

1)This is definitely not. The GES is more accurate

2)This pic^ is a median of the pay of the courses and it is not that accurate as compared to the average gross monthly salary which is divided equally among-st all schools

3) Explanation for median and average for noobs

Uni "x" has 11 students from Biz course that graduated earning different pay:

Student 1 earns : $1
Student 2 earns : $3
Student 3 earns : $7
Student 4 earns : $9
Student 5 earns : $10
Student 6 earns : $10.01
Student 7 earns : $15.5
Student 8 earns : $16
Student 9 earns : $20
Student 10 earns : $30
Student 11 earns : $32

The Median represents the "middle" pay amount of all 11 students that graduated.

As Student 6 has a pay value of $10.01 which is higher than five students, and lower than the next five students, we call $10.01 the median pay value.

Now, let us calculate the average monthly pay for these 11 students that graduated from the biz course of "x' university

Average pay: $(1+3+7+9+10+10.01+15.5+16+20+30+32)

Average gross monthly income per student: $13.96
Median monthly salary: $10.01

Using a median monthly salary is not an accurate depiction of pay status for an entire course because:

1)If the "middle person" in this case student 6 were to earn just 0.1 cents higher than the previous person (student 5 @ $10), and the student after him were to earn $1000 extra than him (Student 7 @ 1010.01) , he will still be the student earning a median pay at $10.01, which is a inaccurate representation of the student population's pay.

2) because of reason "1" CNA can either choose to:
a)Display courses and compare them deliberately to other "less popular
courses" to make that particular course seem attractive

b) Be selective about what numbers they show. They can group different
unrelated courses (E.g. single degree vs double degree) together and
because of reason "1" as stated above, they can make a course that get
paid a lot more seem "underpaid by playing with the median values.

c) let's take a look at the (4) courses: NTU's Accountancy, NTU's
Accountancy & Biz, SMU's accountancy and compare them based on
median and average salary taking into consideration all level of honnors
& all levels of cum laude (both based on monthly basis)

ci) Median monthly salary as told by CNA
university-pay-table-data.jpg

NTU Accountancy: (NIL no such description exists)
NTU Accountancy & Biz 3300
SMU Accountancy 2875

Average gross monthly salary-GES survey by MOE
http://www.salary.sg/2015/graduate-
employment-survey-2014-published-2015/
NTU Accountancy: 3003
NTU Accountancy & Biz 3597
SMU Accountancy 3903

BOOM. See what I did there? Suddenly, numbers
are increased/decreased by such a drastic amount.

Ok. at this point some of you may say it is not accurate to put
cum laude's
and honnors together because they are graded based on different
sets of criteria, and cum laude/honnors may be a independent
variable on its own. FINE. Let us factor out honors and
cum laude to get a clearer picture:

NTU Accountancy: 3597 (It would seem NTU does not
indicate hons student in this program from GES, that or its
grouped together)
NTU Accountancy & Biz 3003
SMU Accountancy 3420

Even after factoring out distinction and merit awards, it would seem single degree ntu vs smu, SMU comes out more on average pay by 400+ and lacks behind in NTU's Biz and accountancy by $177. This proves my point that CNA is again, tweaking the figures and showing selective data if you ever wondered why NUS Acc & Biz or SMU Acc & Biz were not shown in CNA compared to NTU's.

For those that still complaints that merit system and awards screw sup the data

NTU GPA award system
Top Tier degree award:4.50 - 5.00 First Class
2nd Tier degree award:4.00 – 4.49 2nd class upper
3rd Tier degree award3.50 – 3.99 2nd Class Lower
4th Tier degree award3.00 – 3.49 Third Class/pass with merit (3 year)
Lowest Tier degree award2.00 – 2.99 Pass

SMUGPA award system
Top Tier degree award:3.8+/4.0Summa Cum Laude (With Highest
Distinction)

2nd Tier degree award:3.60 – 3.79 / 4.0 Magna Cum Laude (High
Distinction)

3rd Tier degree award:3.40 – 3.59 / 4.0 Cum Laude (Distinction)
4th Tier degree award:3.20 – 3.39 / 4.0 High Merit
Lowest Tier degree award:3.00 – 3.19 / 4.0 Merit

Both uni's have got 5 categories of merit awards, with 2nd class lowers (NTU) and Cum Laude (SMU) being the "median merit/gpa" award.

However, if you notice here, you will realize NTU has an honnors classification below the median merit/gpa known as the "Third class". What does this mean?

It means that NTU has 4 tiers of degree classification as honnors and SMU on the other hand has got only 3 tiers of degree classification known as cum laude.

So what? how does this prove that merit awards won't skew the results?

This is where it gets interesting.

As you all know, almost all local U's in SG adopt something called the "bell curve system" what this means is there can be only a limited no, of people that can score a certain grade, A's, B's etc. meaning, schools can't "cheat" and give every one cum laudes or honors for free.

Now, if we to look at the graduate employment survey and assume that all courses that are part the main body population and separated from those (that receive cum laude/honnors):

SMU's accountancy's average pay (No cum laude) is 3420
NTU's accountancy's average pay (3 year direct honnors) is 3003
NTU's accountancy's + BIZ average pay is 3597

& look at the other sample/population that receive any form of cum laude awards (3 tiers) or honnors awards (4tiers)

SMU's accountancy's average pay ( cum laude) is 3903
NTU's accountancy's average pay (3 year direct honnors) is 3003
NTU's accountancy's + BIZ average pay is 3597

The above three results shows

a) SMU's accountancy's average shows the monthly pay of the 2 lowest tier of the student population with the lowest GPA, and they earn higher than those taking the 3 year direct honnors program

b) NTU's accountancy's average shows the monthly pay of the students from the 3 year direct honor's pogram whom are from the top 3 tiers of the GPA award system.

Heneforth, average gross monthly pay showed by the GES is a more accurate representation over the median based pay provided by CNN as the values of GES are distributed across all students population of the same category in a fair manner, and results are not selective and biased, which can skew or tweak the amount of pay per month.

Last edited:

Havok_ex

Reaction score
@Nosferato4

The reason why median pay is more preferred over average pay is due to the exact reasons that you've listed above. Median is more accurate over average especially if the sample size is not normally distributive. One or two high earners can skew the average pay really high but the reality is that the average person would not earn that much. The median allows for a better picture when the deviation is too large, especially in SMU's case. Sure, SMU should be proud that it can produce a couple of high earners, but the average student should not bet on themselves being that high earner. Median is better than average, lets say a country does a salary census and finds out this:

Person A: $5/month
Person B:$5/month
Person C: $5/month
Person D: $5/month
Despotic ruler of the country: $10000000/mth

The average would be HUGE and not be representative of the income of the average person. A median would be much more accurate representation of the average person.

Im not sure where you got the last set of statistics, but I can tell that you're wrong. NTU's statistics does not seperate those who attained honours and those who didnt. They list it as (3 years direct honours programme), it means that there is no option to drop out at year 2 and just get a pass degree, everyone has to complete 3 years even if they cant get an honours. But it does not mean that everyone on the stats have honours.

This means, you cant compare NTU graduates results 1-to-1 with the other schools because if you compare it with no-honours from NUS/SMU, then NTU would be skewed higher because of the presence of honours grads in NTU's stats. If you compare it with honours grads from NUS/SMU, NTU's stats would be skewed lower because of the presence of no-honours grads that are lumped into NTU's statistics.

It is, of course, very regrettable, that NTU does not want to seperate the honours grads from the non-honours grads.

Furthermore, companies do take into account the very fact that NTU's biz degrees are only 3 years long as compared to NUS and SMU. One also has to factor the opportunity cost saved/earned from that 1 year of earlier graduation. A more accurate comparison would be between NUS stats and SMU's stats since both schools separate honours from non-honours grads.

Darkzi0n

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@Nosferato4

1. median is a more robust measure of 'center' compared to mean due to the right skewed nature of income. The reason y average is higher than median is also because of this reason.

2. u r reading too much into the statistics and fitting in stories.

Nosferato4

Reaction score
@Nosferato4

The reason why median pay is more preferred over average pay is due to the exact reasons that you've listed above. Median is more accurate over average especially if the sample size is not normally distributive. One or two high earners can skew the average pay really high but the reality is that the average person would not earn that much. The median allows for a better picture when the deviation is too large,

The accountancy intake for both ntu and smu is generally around 200-300 (based on intake observations around year 2010-2012 period) the CNA median values show the
monthly salaries if both ntu of smu (grad class of 2014) meaning they shud marticulate somewhere in 2010-2011.

If this is the case, deviation should still provide a fair comparison because if we think about this,

1) pop size is more or less the same
2) both schools (esp ntu is more established) in their acc program
3)both unis attract high paying rich employers and are on equal footing
Based on these 3 qualitative factors, deviation here do not play as much of a role (I could be wrong though, if what u are saying is some smu grads snag out of the world, ridiculous over paid job like ur albeit* drastic explanation regarding $1000000 :X)

especially in SMU's case. Sure, SMU should be proud that it can produce a couple of high earners, but the average student should not bet on themselves being that high earner. Median is better than average, lets say a country does a salary census and finds out this:

Person A: $5/month
Person B:$5/month
Person C: $5/month
Person D: $5/month
Despotic ruler of the country: $10000000/mth

The average would be HUGE and not be representative of the income of the average person. A median would be much more accurate representation of the average person.

Im not sure where you got the last set of statistics, but I can tell that you're wrong. NTU's statistics does not seperate those who attained honours and those who didnt. They list it as (3 years direct honours programme), it means that there is no option to drop out at year 2 and just get a pass degree, everyone has to complete 3 years even if they cant get an honours. But it does not mean that everyone on the stats have honours.

This means, you cant compare NTU graduates results 1-to-1 with the other schools because if you compare it with no-honours from NUS/SMU, then NTU would be skewed higher because of the presence of honours grads in NTU's stats. If you compare it with honours grads from NUS/SMU, NTU's stats would be skewed lower because of the presence of no-honours grads that are lumped into NTU's statistics.

It is, of course, very regrettable, that NTU does not want to seperate the honours grads from the non-honours grads.

That is the point I am trying to make. In my previous post I compared those from NTU 3 year direct honnors program vs SMU non cum-laude graduates.

It basically top 3 tier or (based on what u said all 5 tiers) of students whom score towards stellar results vs bottom 2 tier of students in smu that score towards "less than ideal" results.

I'm not trying to be mean or anything but (if as what u claim NTU dont seperate honnors student from its 3 year direct program in ntu acc) its still technically all 5 tiers vs bottom 2 tiers, and if that is the case, shouldn't NTU technically* score higher? Because they have students from the top 3 tier (s) of merit to pull up the score vs the 2 lowest tier of students from smu w/o anything to increase the average? o_O

Furthermore, companies do take into account the very fact that NTU's biz degrees are only 3 years long as compared to NUS and SMU. One also has to factor the opportunity cost saved/earned from that 1 year of earlier graduation. A more accurate comparison would be between NUS stats and SMU's stats since both schools separate honours from non-honours grads.

you do realize that students have a choice to choose between 3-4 years in ntu rite? I also did factor in the diff between 3-4 year course in ntu vs 4 year in smu.(Some students can grad there in 3-3.5 years too, but rare +challenging)

Nosferato4

Reaction score
@Nosferato4

1. median is a more robust measure of 'center' compared to mean due to the right skewed nature of income. The reason y average is higher than median is also because of this reason.

2. u r reading too much into the statistics and fitting in stories.

1. No it is not.

2. Stop kidding yourself and do some real research.

SotongLove

Banned
Reaction score
Just trying to ask here,have not graduate
In NYP Year 2 right now and current GPA is 3.14 (3 semesters)
Is it a "Welcome to SIM" for me now? Or is there still chance to go into other uni? Aiming to reach at least 3.25 when I graduate

Havok_ex

Reaction score
1. No it is not.

2. Stop kidding yourself and do some real research.

I too, have also been taught that median is always better in social science conditions which are never normally distributive. Physical science data might produce a perfect distribution, then mean would be applicable. But for salaries, median would be a much better gauge, unless of course, you can link us to some research done that shows that mean is in fact, better than median.

If the data really is distributed evenly, you can easily predict the median(50th percentile) from the 75th and 25th percentiles. By my calculations, this should give a median of 3168 for SMU's accountancy. But that is far from the real value of 2875. Meaning that the data really is skewed. There are high earners that are skewing the data.

Last edited:

Darkzi0n

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Now we know 4 years in a statistic course gives you not just a P.H.D (permenant head damage) but a false sense of empty righteousness and douchebaggery. I hope your future company provides free lasik for you considering how blind u are esp. For some1 that deals with numbers Regularly. L2READ.

DoyouunderstandordoIneedtospeakinBinary?

the burden of your stupidity was too big& heavy that you broke a hole thru her uterus and had to be shat out or ud rip her vag1na apart :X

looks like someone is pissed to find out his WOT is nothing but meaningless text :s13::s13::s13:

Nosferato4

Reaction score
I too, have also been taught that median is always better in social science conditions which are never normally distributive. Physical science data might produce a perfect distribution, then mean would be applicable. But for salaries, median would be a much better gauge, unless of course, you can link us to some research done that shows that mean is in fact, better than median.

If the data really is distributed evenly, you can easily predict the median(50th percentile) from the 75th and 25th percentiles. By my calculations, this should give a median of 3168 for SMU's accountancy. But that is far from the real value of 2875. Meaning that the data really is skewed. There are high earners that are skewing the data.

y izzit not? tell me y leh... im very interested to find out wat my 4 years of statistics course cannot teach me.

i wonder y u have the impression that baby r born from @sshole :s8::s8:

Havok, Dark, Pleasseee read my previous posts again X_X.. I have answered to your queries there already. If I have to give another well thought out and backed-up response to both of you it would probably take 30min-1hour and the DOTA 2 Year beast event is still ongoing!! Need to farm!! :frus:

If you guys really, really, really still want a response it will have to wait till Friday/weekend!

Nicholas92

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is it a "Welcome to SIM" for me now? Or is there still chance to go into other uni? Aiming to reach at least 3.25 when I graduate

You want to hear sugar lies or sour truth?

If you score perfect 4.0 for your 3 remaining semesters, still got chance. Otherwise... welcome to SIM.

Havok_ex

Reaction score

Depends on the course. 3.25 NTU ADM still can if your portfolio is good.

mercilesslord

Reaction score
I jux got bac alvl results.
GP: D
Math H2:A
CheM H2:A
Phy,H2:A
EconzH2:A
Pw:B

Can i get to nus chem eng? And will my gp grade nt allow me to get in?
Thx

Last edited:

Weaboo

Honorary Member
Reaction score
they should just release the mean median mode of the salaries and perhaps even raw data to satisfy all facets of sinkies

Joline Ng

Reaction score
><

Hi, anyone receive admission result from unis?

i applied with my five sem result in december 2014 early admission ntu but untill now there is still no reply ><. I asked NTU and they say their admission result will release from late Jan onwards... i put the most secure course as my first choice... NTU EEE direct seond year. So long already.

I applied nus too. First choice: Computer engineering. Second Computer science.
the status is processing but like is already processing for one week +

what is my chance?>< Poor CCA

Aerospace Electroics NP. GPA 3.87. O LEVEL 12 OR 13 points.

Saionji

Reaction score
Hi, anyone receive admission result from unis?

i applied with my five sem result in december 2014 early admission ntu but untill now there is still no reply ><. I asked NTU and they say their admission result will release from late Jan onwards... i put the most secure course as my first choice... NTU EEE direct seond year. So long already.

I applied nus too. First choice: Computer engineering. Second Computer science.
the status is processing but like is already processing for one week +

what is my chance?>< Poor CCA

Aerospace Electroics NP. GPA 3.87. O LEVEL 12 OR 13 points.

Your GPA so high should be no problem, mine was lower than yours and no cca as well. Going in this year NTU EEE

zero_88

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Please dun come com science

in local uni

u all will regret it

dun say nvr warn u all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.