NTU/NUS/SMU 2015-2016 Intake

Status
Not open for further replies.

zero_88

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think NTU's drop out rate is not that high, but the number of people taking more than 4 years to grad is quite high IMO. I've seen a few engin people grad at 4.5 years. If the workload is tough, dont just drop out, take less mods per sem. Use the summer holidays to clear electives during special sem. In fact, there were a few EEE students that grad only after 6 years...
yesss it is truth, and the environment is too studious, like no life...ppl there seldom smile at each other, all like mia after lesson.

i dun have many like minded friend in uni, all like super smart

Sent from SMU using GAGT

IAmZTX

Reaction score
yesss it is truth, and the environment is too studious, like no life...ppl there seldom smile at each other, all like mia after lesson.

i dun have many like minded friend in uni, all like super smart

Sent from SMU using GAGT

Haha. Lucky i left early. I suggest dont quit first.. if not you will lose 1 year tuition grant. Actually my thoughts are, degree is a piece of paper end of the day.

those looking for gov jobs, study top 3 better
if not you are those who will work in pte sector. Ultimately, its your work experiencr and performance that counts

Last edited:

zero_88

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Haha. Lucky i left early. I suggest dont quit first.. if not you will lose 1 year tuition grant. Actually my thoughts are, degree is a piece of paper end of the day.

those looking for gov jobs, study top 3 better
if not you are those who will work in pte sector. Ultimately, its your work experiencr and performance that counts

Not going to quit, already in this s***hole
tuition grant thing is still okay, can change to humanites course and clear as UE

but that involve a lot of admin hassles and need to explain why u want to change etc...I already know a lot of senior in com science, if I change I have to start all over again...

just faster overload and S-A-F from there asap :s22:

but that is my own opinion,

if you all really passionate abt the computer hardware and Math algorithm, please study there.

if you are purely a programming kind of person, u are in a wrong place

Zabiyaki

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not going to quit, already in this s***hole
tuition grant thing is still okay, can change to humanites course and clear as UE

but that involve a lot of admin hassles and need to explain why u want to change etc...I already know a lot of senior in com science, if I change I have to start all over again...

just faster overload and S-A-F from there asap :s22:

but that is my own opinion,

if you all really passionate abt the computer hardware and Math algorithm, please study there.

if you are purely a programming kind of person, u are in a wrong place

Overload grad faster..or underload get ur second upper..i guess its up to the student

I have friends who underload..but i havnt met any that overload yet

turnbackclock

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is it not that difficult, however I think of changing course or even quit school. my standard is not good enough for NTU.

cos the environment is a bit too fast paced for me, and it is like more rewarding for those "elite", if you are those average or below average student, your life will only get harder, when u reach year 2 or year 3, ytou might feel that you dun have interest in computing anymore

I have interest in programming and computer, but not this kind of "computing", it is a bit too chim for

I dk how to explain to you here

in short, if you are those zai kia or programming pro, it will be a heaven for you, cos u will enjoy coding and ADVANCE MATH for you, and the MATH is like SUPER CHIM that kind.

If you are those want to just smoke your way through the 4 years and want to just get a normal degree, you might have a very hard time. This course is not for people who want a "easy life".

it is 70% math related content there, it is super chim

if you all really not scare of being trash until siao by FT and JC people...go ahead :)

If you open house, they wun tell u the hard-truth one la

so have you decided to change course already or not? my friend studied first sem drop out riao :s22:

zero_88

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
so have you decided to change course already or not? my friend studied first sem drop out riao :s22:

dropout? u mean he change course?

where is he now?

U also com science one right?

I nt changing, I dk where can I go

turnbackclock

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
dropout? u mean he change course?

where is he now?

U also com science one right?

I nt changing, I dk where can I go

yeah, i this year matriculate. My friend com science also he tell me he dropout leh, should be same batch as you... now I think he on leave one sem then change course cause no point studying 2nd sem as he can use core as elective only

turnbackclock

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yeah, i this year matriculate. My friend com science also he tell me he dropout leh, should be same batch as you... now I think he on leave one sem then change course cause no point studying 2nd sem as he can use core as elective only

but he drop out not because too hard, I think is because he want pursue business or what instead. think he got 4.1x score. jc kia

zero_88

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

waa on leave, like that a bit waste time

I see how bah, if this sem I still kns, I next sem mabe change to chinese studies

at least is something I more comfortable with, shunbian enrol together with freshie

turnbackclock

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
waa on leave, like that a bit waste time

I see how bah, if this sem I still kns, I next sem mabe change to chinese studies

at least is something I more comfortable with, shunbian enrol together with freshie

okay la not wasted, 1 or 2 years is short as compared to the next 30-50years of working, find some jobs or take a break then restart also good marh. many people also take a gap year to have a break nowadays marh.

all the best to you!

loverangel1

Reaction score
Any opinions on ntu philosophy? Also considering ntu sociology. My a level results damn bad so my UAS is only 69.75. Should I consider courses which UAS cut off is 72.5?

Havok_ex

Reaction score
Any opinions on ntu philosophy? Also considering ntu sociology. My a level results damn bad so my UAS is only 69.75. Should I consider courses which UAS cut off is 72.5?

Are you choosing philosophy because you cannot enter anything else? If you are, then I suggest that you rethink that decision. Philosophy is not easy, especially for people who have little passion or interest. Jobs are hard to get and probably only those who get 2nd upper and above will find jobs in public service. The rest might end up selling insurance. Do you have any specific questions about NTU philosophy? Workload is heavy if you want to fully understand everything and get a good grade. We dont have finals most of the time but we have lots of essays to write. And for philosophy, you cant smoke your way through. Analytic philosophy requires that everything is made super clear, no using of cheem words just to make it look nice either. In fact, most profs frown on it. When we do have finals, its usually in-class and on the last teaching week of school, not on exam week(2 weeks after last teaching week) like the rest of the school. This means we get to pangkang earlier. But it also means we have 2 weeks less than everyone else to study for the finals. NTU philosophy is a very new course, it only started taking in undergrads last year. So we do not have a wide range of philosophy modules like NUS does because we only have like 7 profs at the moment and only 1 of them is tenured.

zero_88

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Are you choosing philosophy because you cannot enter anything else? If you are, then I suggest that you rethink that decision. Philosophy is not easy, especially for people who have little passion or interest. Jobs are hard to get and probably only those who get 2nd upper and above will find jobs in public service. The rest might end up selling insurance. Do you have any specific questions about NTU philosophy? Workload is heavy if you want to fully understand everything and get a good grade. We dont have finals most of the time but we have lots of essays to write. And for philosophy, you cant smoke your way through. Analytic philosophy requires that everything is made super clear, no using of cheem words just to make it look nice either. In fact, most profs frown on it. When we do have finals, its usually in-class and on the last teaching week of school, not on exam week(2 weeks after last teaching week) like the rest of the school. This means we get to pangkang earlier. But it also means we have 2 weeks less than everyone else to study for the finals. NTU philosophy is a very new course, it only started taking in undergrads last year. So we do not have a wide range of philosophy modules like NUS does because we only have like 7 profs at the moment and only 1 of them is tenured.

if i want to smoke my way through, which course is recommended?

intime

Reaction score
if i want to smoke my way through, which course is recommended?

No social science course.
Common sense content will not get you anywhere more than a borderline pass or fail.
There are theories you need to remember, similar to formulas. You will need to learn how to apply the theories and give you own set of understanding and opinions. There will be a lot of research papers and news to read, so you have a good trove of examples to link with theories. Finally citations, giving credits to where you learn of the specific content.

What are the details of your full set of results?
You might want to consider other newer universities with social science course? Possibly SIT-UOL Criminology? Or UniSIM Part-Time?
- http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/d...le-nus-sit-unisim-2015-16-intake-4916620.html
- SIT-UOL Criminology
- UniSIM Part-Time Undergraduate Studies

Last edited:

zero_88

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Common sense content will not get you anywhere more than a borderline pass or fail.
There are theories you need to remember, similar to formulas. You will need to learn how to apply the theories and give you own set of understanding and opinions. There will be a lot of research papers and news to read, so you have a good trove of examples to link with theories. Finally citations, giving credits to where you learn of the specific content.

What are the details of your full set of results?
You might want to consider other newer universities with social science course? Possibly SIT-UOL Criminology? Or UniSIM Part-Time?
- http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/d...le-nus-sit-unisim-2015-16-intake-4916620.html
- SIT-UOL Criminology
- UniSIM Part-Time Undergraduate Studies

You from social science one?

Havok_ex

Reaction score

No, I think some social science courses can be easily smoked through to get a second lower. Alot of social science/humanities examinations and essays sometimes never ask you for anything new. You dont need to criticise anything, just say 'this guy says this, therefore this' or 'this theory says that, therefore that'. No need for any deeper level thinking than what is taught in class, sometimes, it only goes further to apply theory x on situation y, but never far enough to critique theory x or situation y.

For those kind, you can just vomit back everything wholesale and still get through uni life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.