OCBC Voyage Card

epigram

Reaction score
Actually closer to 3.4%.

I did a comparison using SQ Economy (using SQ flexi fares), Business and First/Suite fares. The business and first fares come out consistently to about 3.4 VM/$ (except for Taiwan as SQ has no First Class fares to Taipei). Economy fares went as high as 4% but I see those as less accurate since there can be quite a bit of seasonal fluctuation in Economy fares.

(BTW, using the 3.4% ratio, the 15,000 miles sign on bonus would be equivalent to $510, which is about what the annual fees are.)

So, if you look at it as a pure rebate card, that translates to air tickets rather than cash, this card isn't bad.

if you need 3.4VM to "pay" for every $1 of the ticket - this means that for local spend, you need to spend $3.40 to get OCBC to pay $1 of your ticket. This would mean an incredible 29.4% rebate. :eek:

could you recheck the math?

did you mean 34VM/$? in which case the rebate is 3%.

lingua101

Reaction score
I think HSBC VI is better. Annual fee about the same you got unlimited lounge access. OCBC only 2 Plaza Premium access. Even ANZ card is better.

Limousine must spend 5k per month. Crazy

spearhawk

Reaction score
Any idea if we still need to pay the taxes and surcharges? The below sentence is not really clear...

Connecting flights, hotel and airport taxes are now all redeemable with Voyage Miles.

spearhawk

Reaction score
Based on the comparison below with KF redemption, assuming we still have to pay taxes and surcharges, I will think it makes more sense to convert to KF miles for biz and first redemption? The VM miles required are generally more than KF Standard redemption... :s13:

BKK Biz
- 38k VM vs 34k KF Saver vs 68k KF Standard

LHR Biz
- 218k VM vs 136k KF Saver vs 204k KF Standard

SFO Biz
- 230k VM vs 136k KF Saver vs 204k KF Standard

MEL First
- 259k VM vs 127.5k KF Saver vs 255k KF Standard

CDG First
- 400k VM vs 182.75k KF Saver vs 357k KF Standard

Last edited:

Inix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Taking the maths of the card further, there is an interesting conclusion.

Because the 'rebate' percentage is consistent across all classes, the card is actually better for redeeming Economy class tickets rather than premium class seats.

When redeeming from KF charts, miles are worth about 2c each when redeeming economy, 4.5c for business and 6c for first (this takes into account surcharges that needs to be paid for award tickets). So, this card will trump the best general miles earning card out there (UOB PRVI Miles - 1.6 miles/$ or 3.2c/$) when redeeming in Economy. For dining & overseas spend, it will still compare favorably with the 10x cards like UOB Preferred Platinum Amex & UOB Visa Signature (7.82 c/$, compared to 8c/$), but you have no issue with award availability and earns miles on the ticket.

Conclusion is that this is the miles card to get if you are looking to fly economy class (perhaps even budget as well), which is an odd place to be in for a card targeting affluent/HNW...
Actually most HNW individuals I know still fly economy unless its the company paying. They only fly Biz when they can use mileage.

icicic

Reaction score
Actually most HNW individuals I know still fly economy unless its the company paying. They only fly Biz when they can use mileage.

The HNW I know mostly fly budget, which may explain how they became HNW in the first place :)

Suleyman

Reaction score
if you need 3.4VM to "pay" for every $1 of the ticket - this means that for local spend, you need to spend $3.40 to get OCBC to pay $1 of your ticket. This would mean an incredible 29.4% rebate. :eek:

could you recheck the math?

did you mean 34VM/$? in which case the rebate is 3%.

Typo. It's 3.4%

Aleksandr

Master Member
Reaction score
Based on the comparison below with KF redemption, assuming we still have to pay taxes and surcharges, I will think it makes more sense to convert to KF miles for biz and first redemption? The VM miles required are generally more than KF Standard redemption... :s13:

BKK Biz
- 38k VM vs 34k KF Saver vs 68k KF Standard

LHR Biz
- 218k VM vs 136k KF Saver vs 204k KF Standard

SFO Biz
- 230k VM vs 136k KF Saver vs 204k KF Standard

MEL First
- 259k VM vs 127.5k KF Saver vs 255k KF Standard

CDG First
- 400k VM vs 182.75k KF Saver vs 357k KF Standard

These calculations are without including YQ for KF redemptions though right?

Thai_Rak_Thai

Master Member
Reaction score
Suleyman, if I have Citi Prestige or Premier Miles any major difference? I'm not one who likes to switch around cards. Purely on miles conversion and conversion fee. Thanks :D

Suleyman

Reaction score
Suleyman, if I have Citi Prestige or Premier Miles any major difference? I'm not one who likes to switch around cards. Purely on miles conversion and conversion fee. Thanks :D

Purely on miles conversion, probably no. Both Prestige & Premier Miles have better miles/$ earning rate, unless you spend a lot on dining or overseas transactions.

lalaisgongon

Reaction score

I would do.
Citi Clear card for all dining (5Citi$ = 2mils /1dollar)
Citi Rewards Card for all shopping ( department store, clothes, bags, shoes) 10Citi = 4 miles/Dollar.

Citi prestige for everything else under the sun. 3.25 Citi$/dollar or 1.3 miles/Dollar and what ever bonus you can get.

Thai_Rak_Thai

Master Member
Reaction score
hi guys, thanks for replies. Agree with Suley, keep Premier Miles better

Looks like wave of metal credit cards coming in near future

Imagine Straits Times headline, "Singapore FIRST country where all eligible posses a metallic credit card" :D

Inix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The card arrived. Came in a very nice metal box and its a nice metal card. Very nice

daxiong88

Reaction score
I would do.
Citi Clear card for all dining (5Citi$ = 2mils /1dollar)
Citi Rewards Card for all shopping ( department store, clothes, bags, shoes) 10Citi = 4 miles/Dollar.

Citi prestige for everything else under the sun. 3.25 Citi$/dollar or 1.3 miles/Dollar and what ever bonus you can get.

i tot the UOB Privi Miles MC also give good miles?

OCBC Bank

Suspended
Reaction score
Any idea if we still need to pay the taxes and surcharges? The below sentence is not really clear...

Connecting flights, hotel and airport taxes are now all redeemable with Voyage Miles.

That's right!

You can redeem your Voyage Miles on:
- Any full service or budget airline
- Any destination at any time, with no blackout dates and no expiry of miles
- Any point of your journey, including connecting flights, hotels, or transfers
- Any airport taxes and surcharges
- Anyone you wish to redeem flights for including family and friends

^Shereen

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.