learning japanese

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Should be ok. Just bring an authorization letter n I think need ur IC. Call JCS to double confirm

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Guys, i have 1 新完全マスターN1文法 book for sale. It's in almost mint condition.
Selling out for $15. Original price from Kinokuniya is $28.70.

Interested parties, pls pm me. Thanks

unfinished07

Master Member
Reaction score
i got to know Iwata sensei when she took N2 prep class the 1st yr she taught. outside class she is very intelligent. But i felt her lessons are a bit boring if u compare her to Ms bullet train (Kanai-sensei). she explains more than Kanai-sensei, but coming to N2 prep, Kanai-sensei will do a better job preparing students for the exam.

yeah, coz you need to be at a certain level to be at N1 and N2 prep classes. you are there to prep for the exams, and not there for the teacher to explain certain basic things to you.
if people start to ask too basic stuff, it will be time wasting for other students and the teacher.
think of the N1~N2 classes as a lecture rather than a tutorial class

unfinished07

Master Member
Reaction score
yah. and thats bad for everyone.
in every class, the teacher has to cover a certain amount of grammar and vocab, and there is not much time to do extra explanation.
if not, u will realize the bullet train going faster and faster

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Like I do tell my students from N3 onwards, a lot of the grammar they need to read in advance. I will only explain the nuance n the impt parts of the grammar. That's y I felt that its v impt to learn the technique of how to improve by yourselves rather than have a sensei to spoon feed u. Now my N3 guys watch dramas (after 2.5 yrs with me), no need subs le. this jul and dec, taking N2.

Last edited:

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Have new beginner class starting 8th May (Friday). Interested parties may view more details on the course structure via here

kinggerard

Reaction score
Switching of Jap School

I am considering taking a twice weekly Basic (Elementary) 1 class with Hougang Jap school, as it is near to my place.

But in a couple of months, I would be able to do a 5 class per week course, which, unfortunately, Hougang Jap school does not provided.

So my question, is it possible to start off in Basic 2 (Intensive, 5-class weekly) in another school after I passed my Basic 1?

PS: I have checked that Ikoma has the 5-classes per week up to Advanced.
Any other Jap school, that also provide 5 classes per week, that I should check?

Thank you.

Last edited:

jeremiahtong

Reaction score
I am considering taking a twice weekly Basic (Elementary) 1 class with Hougang Jap school, as it is near to my place.

But in a couple of months, I would be able to do a 5 class per week course, which, unfortunately, Hougang Jap school does not provided.

So my question, is it possible to start off in Basic 2 (Intensive, 5-class weekly) in another school after I passed my Basic 1?

PS: I have checked that Ikoma has the 5-classes per week up to Advanced.
Any other Jap school, that also provide 5 classes per week, that I should check?

Thank you.

For Ikoma, you still have to sit for a placement test i.e. conversation with a teacher, even though you have completed Basic 1 or any other courses in another school before the teacher decides whether you can skip to your desired level. I would think that Ikoma's full time class is good enough even if you were to start a few months later.

Last edited:

jeremiahtong

Reaction score
i got to know Iwata sensei when she took N2 prep class the 1st yr she taught. outside class she is very intelligent. But i felt her lessons are a bit boring if u compare her to Ms bullet train (Kanai-sensei). she explains more than Kanai-sensei, but coming to N2 prep, Kanai-sensei will do a better job preparing students for the exam.

Other than the N2 prep class, how is Kanai sensei's usual classes like? Not too sure which classes she teaches as I don't see her name in the schedule for the Advanced classes.

Last edited:

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
she only teach intermediate and prep classes, if i am not wrong.
Good teacher. I learnt some of my teaching skills from her.
My teaching skills inherited from 8 good senseis. =)

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately no.

4 senseis from Japan
2 senseis from Hougang Japanese Language School
Kanai-sensei from Ikoma
1 JLPT N1 senior who graduate from NUS Japanese Studies and learnt translation in Japanese (currently in Japan)

Apart from the above, i also learnt a lot about giving effective presentations from my poly and university lecturers.

Last edited:

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
A good read, shared by my ex-student. Talks about studying Japanese and living in Japanese are 2 different things altogether...

????????????!!???????????????????????? @ TOMOKO?????? :: ??? PIXNET ::

Especially this 2 parts, which i agree when i was working in Japan for about 2 weeks.

我相信,不論是在哪個國家,要在當地生活而非單純的旅遊,必然有各種不同的難處與辛勞。只是在我經歷過留學與打工度假再踏入職場,才明白,過去我雖然在日本生活了兩年多,卻不曾走入他們的社會。不論是留學或甚至打工,對他們而言,我始終是個外來者。
"I believe, no matter at which country, compared to living there, is not just a normal trip. There is bound to have different hardships. For me, who started off studying overseas and working part-time, then step out to their world to work, i realized that even i was living in Japan for 2 yrs plus, i was unable to enter their society. No matter if i am working overseas or working, to them (Japanese), i am forever a foreigner."
-------------------------
當你是個旅遊者時,說上幾句日文,也許就會令人刮目相看;留學、打工度假期間和日本人對談,他們會頻頻誇你すごい~、日本語上手;但進入職場後,那些曾被日本人誇讚的日語能力,卻一下被拉到等同日本人的標準。日語說得正確流利是理所當然,用錯詞句則免不了被譴責。尤其在服務業不只敬語要說好,謙讓語、尊敬語更是得運用自如。
"while you are a tourist and can speak a few words of Japanese, people will admire you. While you are studying overseas, working part-time and talking to Japanese, they will say that you are good in Japanese. But when you enter the working world, those Japanese skills that have been praised and being brought up to the same level as native-Japanese. It's natural that the language must be used perfectly, if you use the wrong word, you might be reprimanded. Especially in the service line, you need to be able to use Keigo, Kenjyogo (Humble Japanese), Sonkeigo (Honorific Japanese) very easily and fluently.

Last edited:

XasakuraX

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Intending to resume my studies for N2, likely dec.

Since I m currently in jpn, thinking if shld get a jpn -English electronic dict. opinions?

If to get, any good model to rec? Saw one casio advert in jpn but forgot the model.

hentaixp1985

Master Member
Reaction score
A good read, shared by my ex-student. Talks about studying Japanese and living in Japanese are 2 different things altogether...

????????????!!???????????????????????? @ TOMOKO?????? :: ??? PIXNET ::

Especially this 2 parts, which i agree when i was working in Japan for about 2 weeks.

我相信,不論是在哪個國家,要在當地生活而非單純的旅遊,必然有各種不同的難處與辛勞。只是在我經歷過留學與打工度假再踏入職場,才明白,過去我雖然在日本生活了兩年多,卻不曾走入他們的社會。不論是留學或甚至打工,對他們而言,我始終是個外來者。
"I believe, no matter at which country, compared to living there, is not just a normal trip. There is bound to have different hardships. For me, who started off studying overseas and working part-time, then step out to their world to work, i realized that even i was living in Japan for 2 yrs plus, i was unable to enter their society. No matter if i am working overseas or working, to them (Japanese), i am forever a foreigner."
-------------------------
當你是個旅遊者時,說上幾句日文,也許就會令人刮目相看;留學、打工度假期間和日本人對談,他們會頻頻誇你すごい~、日本語上手;但進入職場後,那些曾被日本人誇讚的日語能力,卻一下被拉到等同日本人的標準。日語說得正確流利是理所當然,用錯詞句則免不了被譴責。尤其在服務業不只敬語要說好,謙讓語、尊敬語更是得運用自如。
"while you are a tourist and can speak a few words of Japanese, people will admire you. While you are studying overseas, working part-time and talking to Japanese, they will say that you are good in Japanese. But when you enter the working world, those Japanese skills that have been praised and being brought up to the same level as native-Japanese. It's natural that the language must be used perfectly, if you use the wrong word, you might be reprimanded. Especially in the service line, you need to be able to use Keigo, Kenjyogo (Humble Japanese), Sonkeigo (Honorific Japanese) very easily and fluently.

Actually that's the reason why i lost interest in studying the language.
My original intent was to make friends with Japanese but realised they don't give a **** to people outside their race. So I gave up studying , no longer see the purpose.

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually that's the reason why i lost interest in studying the language.
My original intent was to make friends with Japanese but realised they don't give a **** to people outside their race. So I gave up studying , no longer see the purpose.

There are some that are really nice. Avoid Tokyo ppl. If you have friends from Kansai or the outskirt prefectures, they are generally quite ok.

I have a good friend from Kansai that i know for bout 8 years, we treat each other like real brothers... =)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.