Standard Chartered - Only Online Trading in town with no minimum commission

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenpachi82

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No minimun commission of $25 is apparently the only advantage of using Scb trading and no custodian fee.

Disadvantage is can't contra and must cash upfront, shares cannot go Cdp, can't sell when system down, one day later for dividend, very simple platform, no dedicated broker, can't do oddlot, no mobile app (unless desktop mode), must use Standchart bank account, no research report, weak financial and fundamental of Standchart bank, uncertainty of when no min comm promotion will end, no good till month order type, no stop loss order type, cannot short, free to transfer in shares but expensive to transfer out, no sophisticated tools provided, cannot go egm/agm, need to pass client profiling test every 3 years etc, huge usd Fx spread, cannot use credit card to make payment for shares, cannot apply for ipo, cannot sell early for right issues etc

Sinkie, can use credit card pay for shares?? If that's the case, people earn credit card points like crazy! Did I misunderstand you..

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Sinkie, can use credit card pay for shares?? If that's the case, people earn credit card points like crazy! Did I misunderstand you..

Can use credit card to pay for shares or hold ipo placement but no credit card point because it's not a recurring bill payment for valid payee, maybe DBS altitude card can (never try before) since its local spending

But can chalk Ntuc link point (for limtan) and tapformore/Krisflyer points (cimb) with the commission incur

Last edited:

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Can use credit card to pay for shares or hold ipo placement but no credit card point because it's not a recurring bill payment for valid payee, maybe DBS altitude card can (never try before) since its local spending

But can chalk Ntuc link point (for limtan) and tapformore/Krisflyer points (cimb) with the commission incur

wah, then did anyone did calculation to see how many points one can get with let's say a $1000 trade? Also how many points = $1?

The points would earn like mad if it works with scb online trading, lolx. Too bad, cannot.

wahkao3

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wah, then did anyone did calculation to see how many points one can get with let's say a $1000 trade? Also how many points = $1?

The points would earn like mad if it works with scb online trading, lolx. Too bad, cannot.
the credit card ppl are smart.
They restrict you from using credit card for high value purchase :o:s13:

S1mpleGuy

Master Member
Reaction score
Right now, SCB exchange
1000 SGD at 1.377654 to USD. So you get 725.87USD from 1k SGD
1000 USD at 1.352902 to SGD. So you get 1,352.90SGD from 1k USD.
Is there a reason why u r using SCB instead of IB?
I went to check the usdsgd spot rate at your time of posting and it is 1USD at 1.3645 SGD. This means that u wil get 732USD from 1k SGD if u wan to buy US shares and 1,364SGD if u cash out ur 1k USD worth of US shares.

The cost savings are more than the USD10 inactivity fee IB charges per month, and will be even greater for larger transaction amounts.

Is there sth that i have missed out as to why u use SCB?

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Is there a reason why u r using SCB instead of IB?
I went to check the usdsgd spot rate at your time of posting and it is 1USD at 1.3645 SGD. This means that u wil get 732USD from 1k SGD if u wan to buy US shares and 1,364SGD if u cash out ur 1k USD worth of US shares.

The cost savings are more than the USD10 inactivity fee IB charges per month, and will be even greater for larger transaction amounts.

Is there sth that i have missed out as to why u use SCB?

To put it simply, you are right, but I don't exchange my $$ to USD every month. In fact, I exchanged a large amount just a few months ago, excluding the even bigger amount I exchanged when I first started years ago.
You can call me lazy, but I wanna read the IB thread first which is about a hundred pages?

I'm still building my USD to $100k. It's getting there. I will switch a few years down or when I'm energetic enough to understand how IB works?
Please tell me it's damn simple to use? From what I understand, the transferring of funds around is a tad complicated? Like I need a citibank account, need to wire my money from citi to IB? How's the charges?

Also, I would need to manage 2 account since my sg counters are in scb.

wahkao3

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
To put it simply, you are right, but I don't exchange my $$ to USD every month. In fact, I exchanged a large amount just a few months ago, excluding the even bigger amount I exchanged when I first started years ago.
You can call me lazy, but I wanna read the IB thread first which is about a hundred pages?

I'm still building my USD to $100k. It's getting there. I will switch a few years down or when I'm energetic enough to understand how IB works?
Please tell me it's damn simple to use? From what I understand, the transferring of funds around is a tad complicated? Like I need a citibank account, need to wire my money from citi to IB? How's the charges?

Also, I would need to manage 2 account since my sg counters are in scb.
how do you keep track of your winnings and losing on an excel sheet for 2 currencies? rather complicated sia....

i been fumbling with that

and to add to the complication, if you exchange SGD=> USD you have different exchange rates.

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
how do you keep track of your winnings and losing on an excel sheet for 2 currencies? rather complicated sia....

and to add to the complication, if you exchange SGD=> USD you have different exchange rates.

Just have 2 excel sheet?
The total P/L can just times 1.38 or whatever is the exchange rate now?
I use spot as until I really exchange I won't know what rate it is. It is a moving thing, like how you record your stock price.

BTW, scb has FCY account which seperates by currency, don't need to exchange currency immediately, can store power.

S1mpleGuy

Master Member
Reaction score
Please tell me it's damn simple to use? From what I understand, the transferring of funds around is a tad complicated? Like I need a citibank account, need to wire my money from citi to IB? How's the charges
Transferring funds is quite ez.. u do not need to open a citibank account.. all u need is fast transfer ur funds from any bank to the designated citibank account provided by IB n the funds wil be reflected in your ib account. No charges at all

nickky

Reaction score
Just curious, what is the interest rate for the security settlement accounts in SGD and USD? The FAQ says 'nominal interest rate' will be paid but how much is it actually?

koreanlover

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Here we go again.

No min US$2 or $2k FCY account necessary

Just use ESAVER. It's free, no min, no charges, nothing.
You can use it to transfer between your various SSA account for free, the only charges is the lousy exchange rate.

For trading, only buy/sell cost commission, sec, gst. Other than that, no fees, no nothing. Often, those 3 thing only cost at most a few dollars unless you do trades of 10k++.

Once again, I emphasize, no need USD FCY saver account.
USD FCY SSA is not USD FCY saver account.
You need USD FCY SSA for trading US stocks and keep your USD in it for free, no min, no cost.

Thanks for the info.

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Just curious, what is the interest rate for the security settlement accounts in SGD and USD? The FAQ says 'nominal interest rate' will be paid but how much is it actually?

Usual bank interest rate. quite negligible unless you have a huge sum.
Also, place your sgd in the scb Esaver is better, because it earns 1.2% on fresh fund. There is a technique to always earn 1.2% but not every month and it's quite a chore. Anyway, this promo renews itself every 3month. Been using that for 3 years.

Last edited:

Asphodeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Keep FX transaction as PDF, and then track the security as per their traded currency.

Sent from Sony D5833 using GAGT

lalalalalala

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

have a buy and sell fx rate column, then just multiply it lor

jus_3c

Reaction score
Noob question, I just sold some NYSE stocks last night and intend to convert the USD back to SGD.

Do I have to wait 3-5 days for the settlement to clear before I can transfer the funds out of my USD SSA? Right now my online banking is still showing the balance under securities trading account.

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Noob question, I just sold some NYSE stocks last night and intend to convert the USD back to SGD.

Do I have to wait 3-5 days for the settlement to clear before I can transfer the funds out of my USD SSA? Right now my online banking is still showing the balance under securities trading account.

Yes, wait 3 working day. The online banking amount is not updated de.

daxiong88

Reaction score
sorry if this has been asked before as i had opened this securities trading account long time back but id not use it before.

if i buy a singapore stock and the company declared some dividends, will the money be credit directly into my securities trading account or the SGD securities ?settlement account

thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.