Marathons In Japan

zhirong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Starting a long overdue thread. I actually posted them in other part of this forum but decided to consolidate them here.

Have always enjoyed running and never expect that my first marathon will be in Japan. It started with an impulsive act of balloting for the race slots. For those who are unfamiliar, popular marathon such as Tokyo and Osaka Marathons have a ballot system because they are always oversubscribed by a large margin (Tokyo marathon has 35k slots but 350k people balloted for it, Osaka has 30k and 150k balloted). Hence It will be a waste to miss it if you managed to get a spot. I guess I was lucky to manage to get a spot for both.

Let's start with the Osaka one.

Went to Kansai in Apr last year and love the place. Wanted to go again but feel that there is no reason to go there so soon until i saw that Osaka Marathon was open fo registration. So I tried my luck at the ballot and got a slot. Long story short, I was busy with work and only managed to get some real training 3 weeks before the trip.

What can I say about the experience? It was amazing! The supporters are all very enthusiastic and some even brought their own food to treat the runners. Everyone is very helpful and the volunteers are awesome. I have been to AMH, Stand Chart and Sundown (all 21km) and compared to Osaka, we really have a long way to go.

Everything was smooth, I was in the last 2nd pen (pen Q) and had to wait 20mins before the front pens are cleared. The timing on the clock is 5:26 but my runkeeper clocked 5:06 and 44km.

EUuzkHi.jpg

After the run, everything is so organised. i got my bag with 1 min and the process is so painless. Wel except my feet, they are in a whole new level of pain now..

oVXwgD4.jpg

Bonus pic:

zsFaYa2.jpg

xZapQwb.jpg

TKIJ3zr.jpg

wKZ1TJi.jpg

kMqj1YL.jpg

Also saw spiderman, batman, superman, plus many many funny costumes runners. Supporters are also in costumes. Really spiced up the run.

zhirong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Next comes the Tokyo Marathon on 22 February 2015.

Landed on Thursday (19 Feb) and went straight to the race expo. It was pure poison and I spent quite a lot. Bought a new pair of Kayano 21 to replaced my trusty but worned Kayano 20.

XKPt5Kd.jpg

Thursday to Saturday were my carbo loading days. Nothing beats Ichiran Ramen when it comes to filling up those carbs. I even ate them at 2:40am!

j3Xqu6c.jpg

Did the friendship run on Saturday. The weather was awesome and I managed to meet some fellow Singaporeans there as well.

9NxZ3XR.jpg

Couldn't sleep well on the day before the race due to my anticipation. Prep the stuff I needed and had less then 4hours of sleep before the race.

QmWMWJe.jpg

zhirong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The race day was cold at 5 degree celsius with light drizzle. I only had my running tee, shorts and armsleeves while waiting at the last pen for 45mins. Was shivering all those while. Finally made it to the track and the race began.

15nCMCY.jpg

The volunteers were all so helpful and the crowd was amazing. This year, there were 36k runners of which, 35.5k were doing the full marathon. There were quite number of costume runners but I felt that it was last than the previous years due to the notice that costumes runners may not be admited to the race.

oGlk1Fy.jpg

tXjeeXD.jpg

Managed to maintain a good pace and finished strong. The end of the race were very well coordinated and the volunteers will congragulate you as they don the finisher medal and towel on you. The bag collection was extremely well done and I got my bag in literally a few seconds. Finally it was time to head back to my hotel but before that, there was a fearsome flight of stairs down to the station. I swear you can feel the pain of the runners from their expression and they made their way down.

u8SwkOM.png

DJ8fFtd.jpg

Reaction score
Next comes the Tokyo Marathon on 22 February 2015.

Landed on Thursday (19 Feb) and went straight to the race expo. It was pure poison and I spent quite a lot. Bought a new pair of Kayano 21 to replaced my trusty but worned Kayano 20.

XKPt5Kd.jpg

Thursday to Saturday were my carbo loading days. Nothing beats Ichiran Ramen when it comes to filling up those carbs. I even ate them at 2:40am!

j3Xqu6c.jpg

Did the friendship run on Saturday. The weather was awesome and I managed to meet some fellow Singaporeans there as well.

9NxZ3XR.jpg

Couldn't sleep well on the day before the race due to my anticipation. Prep the stuff I needed and had less then 4hours of sleep before the race.

QmWMWJe.jpg

wah need to bring so many stuff to run ar?:eek:

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
well done!
i hope to run in japan one day. but at most 21km for me :o

zhirong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

agony2

Reaction score
you ran in your new shoes? O_O

But wow, this is one of my dream too. To run a 21km/42km in Japan. But when I saw the ballot for Tokyo, I gave up. Did you register through the japanese or english site ? I understand that if you register through the Japanese site, the fee is cheaper. What's the difference, apart from being in a different language?

zhirong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
you ran in your new shoes? O_O

But wow, this is one of my dream too. To run a 21km/42km in Japan. But when I saw the ballot for Tokyo, I gave up. Did you register through the japanese or english site ? I understand that if you register through the Japanese site, the fee is cheaper. What's the difference, apart from being in a different language?

Didn't run in new shoes, just bought it from the expo.

I register through the English site as well. I think the fee for foreigner is a little higher but nothing significant. I am not sure if you can apply through the Japanese site as a foreigner but other than the site language, there shouldn't be much different.

You can try the ballot, even if chances are low, it is still a chance!

Reaction score
Highly recommended! The weather is much milder than Tokyo Marathon! The route is also better I feel especially the first 30km. Last 12km is challenging coz you have to run up the highway. I feel that Kansai's crowd is more supportive and expressive than Kanto's.
OT, do u wear ankle guard or something? If so got any recommendations?

Sent from a poor fugly buibui loser using GAGT

zhirong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Siao ar, need to go through balloting le,Bo bao tio one

Sent from a poor fugly buibui loser using GAGT

Got try got chance! I apply with my SG address.

This year they opening 32k slots which is 2k more. However Osaka Marathon is gaining popularity and hence we can expect more applicants this year.

Nevertheless, I think it will be a good experience and October is a good month to visit the Osaka. Best to stay till Halloween as the streets of Namba/Shinsaibashi will be damn happening.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.