Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
can any PIA users share their speedtest results?

without PIA running, i am able to use 100% of my max speed.

with PIA running, it shows 60% download speed with the speedtest applet directly from PIA website.

with PIA running, it shows 5% download speed from speedtest website directly.

i am connecting to SG server.

why is there such a big disparity?

when i am downloading torrent, the max speed is also 5% max of bandwidth.

firecow

Reaction score

eyz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
do we use fictional particulars when signing up with a vpn provider?

Soccer Ball

Suspended
Reaction score
please dun tell me your purchased your vpn using CC.

h ttp://bitcoinsimplified.org/learn-more/anonymity/

oric1

Reaction score
ExpressVPN no longer has servers in China. And refer to the link posted by Peach Tea http://torrentfreak.com/which-vpn-providers-really-take-anonymity-seriously-111007/, i only find Astrill still has server in China, and according to support staff, only using OpenWeb and StealthVPN will be able to access content geo-locked to China. I am still using the 7 Day trial, which unfortunately does not have access to the China server :p

You can ask the online Customer Support to give you full access, including China & China 2 servers for the 7 days trial.

eyz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
just sign up fora 3 days all servers astrill account.

so far the clients wifi transfer speed is same for both vpn and non vpn connections.

what are the differences between openvpn, openweb and stealth vpn?

what are the necessary settings that i need to set for the astrill clients and on the router?

when my astrill clients is turned on, am i behind behind a foreign ip when using all programs on my pc? my main concern is kodi, streaming using the xbmc+0rren+ and pulsar video addon.

eyz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Raw speed

With Astrill PC client

With Astrill addon on Asus RT-AC66U router

Tested on my Surface Pro 3, connected via USB3 ethernet port on M1 200 Mbps Gamer plan.

oric1

Reaction score
just sign up fora 3 days all servers astrill account.

so far the clients wifi transfer speed is same for both vpn and non vpn connections.

what are the differences between openvpn, openweb and stealth vpn?

OpenWeb is simple and fast protocol, suitable for web surfing and streaming videos websites (such as YouTube, Vimeo, Vevo, and many others). Works with all major browsers (such as Firefox, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Opera, and Safari), and works with Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux operating systems. This protocol usually offers faster surfing speeds than other protocols, and has much more features. OpenWeb encrypts your data both ways using proprietary encryption algorithms such as BlowFish and AES. If you are familiar with proxies, OpenWeb protocol works in similar way. The advantage of OpenWeb protocol is that there is no connection or disconnection from and to VPN servers, you simply switch to any server instantly and surf immediately, it's that fast. Another great advantage of OpenWeb protocol is that, it has lots of useful features, such us browser selection, site filter, ads blocker, and media recorder.

OpenVPN protocol is most secure and fast, suitable for tunnelling all applications on your computer, and also works with P2P applications (BitTorrent, such as uTorrent, BitComet and many others clients). OpenVPN protocol works on Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, and Routers with DD-WRT and Tomato firmware, and can also work on iPhone/iPad and Android devices (Now it's possible to load OVPN file onto OpenVPN iOS app). OpenVPN protocol uses industry standard SSL encryption (AES and BlowFish). The main advantage of OpenVPN protocol is that it has advanced split routing/split tunnelling features and can tunnel all applications on your computer. Also it has lots of other useful features, such as site filter, application filter, port forwarding, web cache, easy router setup wizard, and VPN Sharing.

StealthVPN protocol is most secure and fast, suitable for tunnelling all applications on your computer, and also works with P2P applications (BitTorrent, such as uTorrent, BitComet and many others clients). StealthVPN protocol works on Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. StealthVPN is an additional layer of encryption on top of OpenVPN, thus it is more secure and also it is harder to block. StealthVPN is our customized version of OpenVPN protocol. Which works undetected as a protocol, and is our solution for China (and other countries which block standard OpenVPN protocol). The main advantage of StealthVPN protocol is that it still works even if standard VPN protocols get blocked. Giving you extra stealth and security. Also you still get to enjoy all extra features and functionality as you did with OpenVPN protocol, such as site filter, application filter, port forwarding, web cache, and VPN Sharing.

what are the necessary settings that i need to set for the astrill clients and on the router?

In your Astrill desktop client, under Settings > Privacy, enable "Internet Kill Switch", "Fix WebRTC IP leak" & "Disable IPv6".

when my astrill clients is turned on, am i behind behind a foreign ip when using all programs on my pc? my main concern is kodi, streaming using the xbmc+0rren+ and pulsar video addon.

Yes, only if you're using the OpenVPN or StealthVPN protocol.

SiaoAngMoh

Reaction score
please dun tell me your purchased your vpn using CC.

The main concern would be if the VPN provider actually logs the connection. Much like the ISP, if there is a log detailing who you are, your various IP addresses along with timestamps, then it is traceable.

If there are no logs, it doesn't matter if you sign up with a CC or not.

hnzfaz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The main concern would be if the VPN provider actually logs the connection. Much like the ISP, if there is a log detailing who you are, your various IP addresses along with timestamps, then it is traceable.

If there are no logs, it doesn't matter if you sign up with a CC or not.

I'm using Astrill. It's still a big question whether Astrill keeps logs and for how long. The company claims it doesn't, but doing a bit of research with Google raises some doubts.

hnzfaz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
OpenWeb is simple and fast protocol, suitable for web surfing and streaming videos websites (such as YouTube, Vimeo, Vevo, and many others). Works with all major browsers (such as Firefox, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Opera, and Safari), and works with Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux operating systems. This protocol usually offers faster surfing speeds than other protocols, and has much more features. OpenWeb encrypts your data both ways using proprietary encryption algorithms such as BlowFish and AES. If you are familiar with proxies, OpenWeb protocol works in similar way. The advantage of OpenWeb protocol is that there is no connection or disconnection from and to VPN servers, you simply switch to any server instantly and surf immediately, it's that fast. Another great advantage of OpenWeb protocol is that, it has lots of useful features, such us browser selection, site filter, ads blocker, and media recorder.

OpenVPN protocol is most secure and fast, suitable for tunnelling all applications on your computer, and also works with P2P applications (BitTorrent, such as uTorrent, BitComet and many others clients). OpenVPN protocol works on Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, and Routers with DD-WRT and Tomato firmware, and can also work on iPhone/iPad and Android devices (Now it's possible to load OVPN file onto OpenVPN iOS app). OpenVPN protocol uses industry standard SSL encryption (AES and BlowFish). The main advantage of OpenVPN protocol is that it has advanced split routing/split tunnelling features and can tunnel all applications on your computer. Also it has lots of other useful features, such as site filter, application filter, port forwarding, web cache, easy router setup wizard, and VPN Sharing.

StealthVPN protocol is most secure and fast, suitable for tunnelling all applications on your computer, and also works with P2P applications (BitTorrent, such as uTorrent, BitComet and many others clients). StealthVPN protocol works on Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. StealthVPN is an additional layer of encryption on top of OpenVPN, thus it is more secure and also it is harder to block. StealthVPN is our customized version of OpenVPN protocol. Which works undetected as a protocol, and is our solution for China (and other countries which block standard OpenVPN protocol). The main advantage of StealthVPN protocol is that it still works even if standard VPN protocols get blocked. Giving you extra stealth and security. Also you still get to enjoy all extra features and functionality as you did with OpenVPN protocol, such as site filter, application filter, port forwarding, web cache, and VPN Sharing.

In your Astrill desktop client, under Settings > Privacy, enable "Internet Kill Switch", "Fix WebRTC IP leak" & "Disable IPv6".

Is it better to use stealth all the time since it is more secure? Does the speed suffer if I use stealth instead of open?

eyz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks bro!

that was very informative!!

btw, can you advise on PIA? my friend was saying that PIA is offering 2 years of subscription for only 60$US.

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/slickdeals-two-year-deal#moneyback

ForThePride

Reaction score
Hi anyone still using private internet access proxy for p2p? How is the download speed?

I saw some reviews but that was more than 6 months ago.

Thanks

Paranoia08

Reaction score
I'm on trial on Astrill. Anyone tried Astrill on China server?
I tried to run speed test on them but the speed are very slow imo.. On ST500

Without VPN: Ping: 4 DL: 468.33 UL: 318.23
China - Ping: 790 DL: 2.36 UL: 0.15
China2 - Ping: 825 DL: 0.54 UL: 0.08
China(via USA) - Ping: 394 DL: 6.29 UL: 1.50

Is it normal?

Am considering Torguard at the moment too. BUt yet to try cos of their customer service. They seems to be forever offline. Afraid if I want a refund, cannot find anyone... hahaha

Any other recommendation?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.