Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

crystalnox

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks bro!

that was very informative!!

btw, can you advise on PIA? my friend was saying that PIA is offering 2 years of subscription for only 60$US.

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/slickdeals-two-year-deal#moneyback

I'm interested in PIA speeds as well, any current subscriber can help do some speed tests?

oric1

Reaction score
Is it better to use stealth all the time since it is more secure? Does the speed suffer if I use stealth instead of open?

Tested during peak hours, speed remain the same be it Open or Stealth.

oric1

Reaction score
thanks bro!

that was very informative!!

btw, can you advise on PIA? my friend was saying that PIA is offering 2 years of subscription for only 60$US.

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/slickdeals-two-year-deal#moneyback

I've not use PIA before so can't comment, however, some bros here have more than 1 VPN and negativzero is one of them, below are his comments (post #762) on both Astill & PIA.

PIA just added a Singapore location. Testing it out now and its quite good!

I'm using Astrill and PIA now and am happy with both :)

oric1

Reaction score
I'm on trial on Astrill. Anyone tried Astrill on China server?
I tried to run speed test on them but the speed are very slow imo.. On ST500

Without VPN: Ping: 4 DL: 468.33 UL: 318.23
China - Ping: 790 DL: 2.36 UL: 0.15
China2 - Ping: 825 DL: 0.54 UL: 0.08
China(via USA) - Ping: 394 DL: 6.29 UL: 1.50

Is it normal?

No choice due to the China Great Firewall, it is able to "learn, discover and block" encrypted channels provided by VPN companies.

China reinforces its 'Great Firewall' to prevent encryption

||||||||||

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
PIA California server
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4277241571

PIA Toronto server
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4277247200

SG server
4277253797.png

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4277253797

hnzfaz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm on trial on Astrill. Anyone tried Astrill on China server?
I tried to run speed test on them but the speed are very slow imo.. On ST500

Without VPN: Ping: 4 DL: 468.33 UL: 318.23
China - Ping: 790 DL: 2.36 UL: 0.15
China2 - Ping: 825 DL: 0.54 UL: 0.08
China(via USA) - Ping: 394 DL: 6.29 UL: 1.50

Is it normal?

Am considering Torguard at the moment too. BUt yet to try cos of their customer service. They seems to be forever offline. Afraid if I want a refund, cannot find anyone... hahaha

Any other recommendation?

About same for me. Really slow. Have tried using stealthvp, but often won't even connect.

negativzero

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I've not use PIA before so can't comment, however, some bros here have more than 1 VPN and negativzero is one of them, below are his comments (post #762) on both Astill & PIA.

I've tested out a lot of VPNs, if you want a cheap and no frills VPN with decent performance PIA is it. At this price range, you can't beat PIA. They are adding more locations and servers everyday and as far as p2p goes, they're the fastest around, even faster than those more premium VPNs around. Don't bother with PureVPN, its pure garbage. Also don't bother with those free VPNs or those $1 a year kind, not worth your safety and the performance is nothing to shout about.

If you got some money to blow on the other hand, go for Astrill, Goldenfrog or AirVPN. They come with the best features, most locations and the best speeds. They all also come with GFW penetration technologies and AirVPN also comes with geodns so you can unblock websites from whichever region you connect to. They can be a little expensive but if you can wait for deals like black friday or memorial day sales, they can go as low as $40 a year, thats how I got mine.

awful999

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anyone try VPNGATE before, is free and speed wise can get 10-40 Mbps depend on server chosen and timing. :s12:

but the question is, is it safe

Last edited:

eyz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
bro, is PIA as easy to use as Astrill?

I am using Astrill for the 2nd day and it's very easy to use the PC client. I also managed to install the Astrill applets onto my Asus Router, though the speed wasn't too optimum.

Please advise. Thanks!

I've tested out a lot of VPNs, if you want a cheap and no frills VPN with decent performance PIA is it. At this price range, you can't beat PIA. They are adding more locations and servers everyday and as far as p2p goes, they're the fastest around, even faster than those more premium VPNs around. Don't bother with PureVPN, its pure garbage. Also don't bother with those free VPNs or those $1 a year kind, not worth your safety and the performance is nothing to shout about.

If you got some money to blow on the other hand, go for Astrill, Goldenfrog or AirVPN. They come with the best features, most locations and the best speeds. They all also come with GFW penetration technologies and AirVPN also comes with geodns so you can unblock websites from whichever region you connect to. They can be a little expensive but if you can wait for deals like black friday or memorial day sales, they can go as low as $40 a year, thats how I got mine.

Paranoia08

Reaction score
Bros on Astrill, how do you determine the best server to use for bukit timah?
I have been trying and Aust1 and Aust2 seems fast...

Do you run speed test to determine or what?

Thanks in advance! =)

negativzero

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
bro, is PIA as easy to use as Astrill?

I am using Astrill for the 2nd day and it's very easy to use the PC client. I also managed to install the Astrill applets onto my Asus Router, though the speed wasn't too optimum.

Please advise. Thanks!

Its really no frills. They give you an app, you just enter username and password, select gateway and connect. All the support is on their site. Their app does not have as many features as Astrill though, and that can be a good or bad thing :)

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in PIA speeds as well, any current subscriber can help do some speed tests?

avoid PIA. i tried them for 2 days.

cons
- slow to connect/disconnect
- not so easy to configure
- lousy customer support. you are like communicating to a robot

pros
- cheaper

i am initiating a refund now. i just tested astrill.

pros and cons are exact opposite of PIA. plus their application is superb. so i dont mind paying extra once a year!

by the way, if you need more information can PM or email me. im glad to help. but join under my referral. thanks. :)

Last edited:

eyz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks.

just communicated with them as well, asking for a free trial. yeah, automated response.

avoid PIA. i tried them for 2 days.

cons
- slow to connect/disconnect
- not so easy to configure
- lousy customer support. you are like communicating to a robot

pros
- cheaper

i am initiating a refund now. i just tested astrill.

pros and cons are exact opposite of PIA. plus their application is superb. so i dont mind paying extra once a year!

by the way, if you need more information can PM or email me. im glad to help. but join under my referral. thanks. :)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.