Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

crystalnox

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
avoid PIA. i tried them for 2 days.

cons
- slow to connect/disconnect
- not so easy to configure
- lousy customer support. you are like communicating to a robot

pros
- cheaper

i am initiating a refund now. i just tested astrill.

pros and cons are exact opposite of PIA. plus their application is superb. so i dont mind paying extra once a year!

by the way, if you need more information can PM or email me. im glad to help. but join under my referral. thanks.

I've been trying out PIA (on hk & uk servers)for the better part of today and so far I'm pretty satisfied.

Replies fast on their online chat, >4MB/s torrent speeds, able to watch BBC iplayer in HD without too buffering(no netflix/hulu sub to test), no slow downs in web surfing, straight forward configuration using their client on both W7 and OSX.

Only thing left to try is to see whether they honour their 7 days refund. I might just go for the 12 month plan.

Last edited:

icyflame

Master Member
Reaction score
I've been trying out PIA (on hk & uk servers)for the better part of today and so far I'm pretty satisfied.

Replies fast on their online chat, >4MB/s torrent speeds, able to watch BBC iplayer in HD without too buffering(no netflix/hulu sub to test), no slow downs in web surfing, straight forward configuration using their client on both W7 and OSX.

Only thing left to try is to see whether they honour their 7 days refund. I might just go for the 12 month plan.

Sounds good. They got 24 months at 60 too

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

good for you. i didnt try those servers but local server is not able to give me a good speed for torrent and browsing. a big loss of speed compared to my full bandwidth.

just stick to PIA if you consider the lower cost.

jimmy_sg

Reaction score

How are you able to do that?

I'm on PIA. Before VPN I can achieve torrent speed of about 5-6MB, after VPN to either HK or even SG server. the throughput is only like 20-30kB, Think will trigger for refund. Too slow.

Run some test using uTorrent. Without vpn download is 11MB/s, with PIA vpn connected is 70kB/s... It's just too slow...

Last edited:

crystalnox

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I'm on PIA. Before VPN I can achieve torrent speed of about 5-6MB, after VPN to either HK or even SG server. the throughput is only like 20-30kB, Think will trigger for refund. Too slow.

Run some test using uTorrent. Without vpn download is 11MB/s, with PIA vpn connected is 70kB/s... It's just too slow...
That's pretty extreme, 500kb/s even with lousy torrents is achievable for HK in my case. Have you tried the port forwarding in the PIA client?

eyz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
how do i do port forwarding?

let's say my t0rr3nt application's port is 12345, and my router had setup the same port 12345 for port forwarding. do i just key in 12345 in the setup of PIA or Astrill's PC client?

That's pretty extreme, 500kb/s even with lousy torrents is achievable for HK in my case. Have you tried the port forwarding in the PIA client?

eyz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i did the speed test on PIA and Astrill.

Astrill is just much faster in terms of US server.

PIA seems to be a little faster in SG server.

i have some problem with t0rr3nts downloading witb Astrill. Does t0rr3nt download work with those Astrills' server that come with an asterisk?

Are all PIA servers t0rr3nt friendlyt?

hnzfaz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
please dun tell me your purchased your vpn using CC.

h ttp://bitcoinsimplified.org/learn-more/anonymity/

Actually at the time of registration with Astrill, we MUST provide our mobile number (so that they will send an activation code). This mobile phone cannot be edited to a fake number later, as it is locked to your account.

That means the activities can be traced to you through the telcom if necessary. Sort of defeat the purpose of vpn for some people.

Anyway Astrill seems to be a favorite here and I myself is using it without too many issues. I wish Astrill can take privacy more seriously.

crystalnox

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
how do i do port forwarding?

let's say my t0rr3nt application's port is 12345, and my router had setup the same port 12345 for port forwarding. do i just key in 12345 in the setup of PIA or Astrill's PC client?
No need port forward in your router, the VPN goes straight through.

You enable port forwarding in the PIA advanced settings, then disconnect and reconnect. Mouse over the PIA icon and it will give you the port number beside the IP address. Use this port number in your torrnt client.

See https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/client-support/ under Port Forwarding.

oric1

Reaction score
i did the speed test on PIA and Astrill.

Astrill is just much faster in terms of US server.

i have some problem with t0rr3nts downloading witb Astrill. Does t0rr3nt download work with those Astrills' server that come with an asterisk?

Are all PIA servers t0rr3nt friendlyt?

Yes, torrenting only works with those Astrill servers (lots of them) with *.

negativzero

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

My torrent on PIA can go up to 28MB/s which is about the speed cap for my 200mbps plan, you guys aren't doing something right.

eyz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
not necessary. the listed countries code are china and uae only. i provided my mobile no. during the chat with the cso. and when the verification code was sent to me, the verification code was incorrect. the cso asked for the code and get my acc verified at the back end.

i think it is still safe as they do not keep any log. they have no log record to pinpoint that what website or files you had downloaded. your mobile phone just show that you are a use with Astrill, that's all. that's just my opinion though.

Actually at the time of registration with Astrill, we MUST provide our mobile number (so that they will send an activation code). This mobile phone cannot be edited to a fake number later, as it is locked to your account.

That means the activities can be traced to you through the telcom if necessary. Sort of defeat the purpose of vpn for some people.

Anyway Astrill seems to be a favorite here and I myself is using it without too many issues. I wish Astrill can take privacy more seriously.

eyz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
can you share what you do? i would like to subscribe to the 1 year PIA plan, but the speed test isn't convincing me.

My torrent on PIA can go up to 28MB/s which is about the speed cap for my 200mbps plan, you guys aren't doing something right.

wongminmin

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just letting u guys know, vpn proclaim they don't keep logs but in the actual fact, they must and will keep logs privately for themselves in order to protect themselves against abusers.

That why some people prefer btc payment and simple anonymous sign up.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.