[Fan Club] LCHF Lifestyle - Part 3

gkhchay

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
fwah sho chim.

Not chim la, you need to know these basics so that you can know if the diet is right for you & how to tweak it so it'll really benefit your health otherwise you are just following it blindly.

MyNameAxE

Reaction score
actually quite chim, if cannot eat butter, also cannot eat pork belly, lard, pork crackling?
so only can eat fatty sea fish

gkhchay

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
actually quite chim, if cannot eat butter, also cannot eat pork belly, lard, pork crackling?
so only can eat fatty sea fish

As I've posted before, eating saturated fats together with meat, be it beef, pork, lamb or chicken is healthy for most people. BUT if you eat saturated fats by itself as snacks, then you're asking for trouble. Just like people who drink coconut oil... cooking with butter, coconut oil with food is OK, taking them by themselves it not OK.

If your lipid profile isn't ideal after you embark on the LCHF diet, then you just need to tweak it to suit you. Remember, you must make the diet work for your health, not the other way around. And the only way that you know how to tweak is know what food and supplements reduce inflammation, triglycerides & LDL & increase HDL. Also hi fat doesn't mean just saturated fat - it means saturated and unsaturated fats.

For myself, I ensure that I alternate between grass fed butter and extra virgin olive oil (EVOL) when cooking; I'm not particularly fond of the taste of coconut oil so I seldom use it. I also supplement with double distilled Omega 3 fish oil so I've covered all my bases re the hi fat part.

Don't forget the other 2 macros - protein & carbs. I eat lots of eggs, fish, seafood, chicken, grass fed beef and some pork. I subscribe to paleo so I get my carbs from vegetables & fruits. These are important because of the micro-nutrients and fiber that you get from them.

If and when I do have hunger pangs, I munch on raw nuts which is also hi fat, medium protein & low carb.

Easy right?

MyNameAxE

Reaction score
As I've posted before, eating saturated fats together with meat, be it beef, pork, lamb or chicken is healthy for most people. BUT if you eat saturated fats by itself as snacks, then you're asking for trouble. Just like people who drink coconut oil... cooking with butter, coconut oil with food is OK, taking them by themselves it not OK.

If your lipid profile isn't ideal after you embark on the LCHF diet, then you just need to tweak it to suit you. Remember, you must make the diet work for your health, not the other way around. And the only way that you know how to tweak is know what food and supplements reduce inflammation, triglycerides & LDL & increase HDL. Also hi fat doesn't mean just saturated fat - it means saturated and unsaturated fats.

For myself, I ensure that I alternate between grass fed butter and extra virgin olive oil (EVOL) when cooking; I'm not particularly fond of the taste of coconut oil so I seldom use it. I also supplement with double distilled Omega 3 fish oil so I've covered all my bases re the hi fat part.

Don't forget the other 2 macros - protein & carbs. I eat lots of eggs, fish, seafood, chicken, grass fed beef and some pork. I subscribe to paleo so I get my carbs from vegetables & fruits. These are important because of the micro-nutrients and fiber that you get from them.

If and when I do have hunger pangs, I munch on raw nuts which is also hi fat, medium protein & low carb.

Easy right?

So i eat butter + meat is ok =D
and the fat profile for EVOL equivalent to Coconut Cream?

I made Coconut Cream Yogurt
and I eat Coconut Cream alone too
1 serving 200g (this will replace my butter serving too)

gkhchay

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So i eat butter + meat is ok =D
and the fat profile for EVOL equivalent to Coconut Cream?

I made Coconut Cream Yogurt
and I eat Coconut Cream alone too
1 serving 200g (this will replace my butter serving too)

EVOL is primarily mono-saturated fat while butter & coconut oil/cream are primarily saturated fats. Skewing your diet towards just saturated fats isn't ideal or healthy at all. Also you need the good poly-saturated fatty acid ie omega 3 to balance out the omega 6, which when taken in excess causes inflammation.

Hope this is clear enough.

*Pickle*

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I agree that the articles are not conclusive but then again, to many folks, curbing hunger pangs would be eating a snack or small meal - and snacking on butter is, to me, definitely in excess especially when it is done very often. Moderation means different things to different people and there is always the tendency for people to take things to the extreme in the name of moderation. I've got lots of friends my age (50s) who eat "moderately" and have landed up with lifestyle diseases.

Saturated fat when eaten taken as part of a whole food eg steak, lamb chop, fried with an omelette is healthy; however when it's just eaten on its own will tend to be excessive and may lead to screwing lipid profiles just like eating fatty fish is healthy while taking 30 caps of fish oil is not.

Considering how lchf revolves around increasing the intake of fats, the fact that you are constantly emphasising on the 'excess' part really puzzles me. Fats is much more filling than carbs so I see no reason to 'overeat' here, unless fats is like caffein to you.

Moreover, you seem to have the common misconception of mainstream nutritionists that put a very bad name on saturated fats. You seem to adore facts presented by authoritynutrition, so here's one article http://authoritynutrition.com/saturated-fat-good-or-bad/ you might want to have a look to get yourself educated.

I quote the most relevant point from that article.
Saturated fats raise HDL (the “good”) cholesterol and change LDL from small, dense (bad) to Large LDL, which is mostly benign. Overall, saturated fats do not harm the blood lipid profile like previously believed.

In the mean time, I shall continue to snack on anchor.

Luc777

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
omg...sorry for my question abt butter as a snack...chill guys...

gkhchay

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Considering how lchf revolves around increasing the intake of fats, the fact that you are constantly emphasising on the 'excess' part really puzzles me. Fats is much more filling than carbs so I see no reason to 'overeat' here, unless fats is like caffein to you.

Moreover, you seem to have the common misconception of mainstream nutritionists that put a very bad name on saturated fats. You seem to adore facts presented by authoritynutrition, so here's one article http://authoritynutrition.com/saturated-fat-good-or-bad/ you might want to have a look to get yourself educated.

I quote the most relevant point from that article.

In the mean time, I shall continue to snack on anchor.

I'm all for Paleo & LCHF and I do realize the emphasis is on hi fat. BUT and a huge BUT, the mantra doesn't revolve solely around saturated fats alone: it's saturated, poly-saturated & mono-saturated fats. That's why besides grass fed butter I also emphasize on EVOL & Omega 3 ie EPA/DHA..

The benefits of EVOL & omega 3 are stated in these articles:

http://authoritynutrition.com/extra-virgin-olive-oil/

http://chriskresser.com/podcast-episode-ii-essential-fatty-acids-fish-and-fish-oil

I'm also aware that low carb hi fat diets may not go well with everyone - that's why I gave the advice to have detailed lipid profiles taken at least annually so that at least a person would know how to tweak the paleo/lchf diet to make it work healthily for him/her.

Bottom Line: A subset of individuals do experience increased cholesterol on a low-carb diet, especially if it is ketogenic and ultra high fat. This includes elevated LDL, Non-HDL and important markers like LDL particle number.

http://authoritynutrition.com/low-carb-diets-and-cholesterol/

I hope you've had your lipids tested to know for sure that you don't need to tweak the diet for work for you.

aaur4man

Banned
Reaction score
so many exchanges on the foodscience and nutritional profiles but LCHF is a lifestyle and not a fixed diet.

everyone has his/her point; nobody is entirely right/wrong.

Mindset is important; so is the acceptance of equifinality.

1) listen to your body. eat fats to lose fats. eat (only) when you get hungry, stop when your full. eat again (only) when you get hungry.

2) never forget ur dark leafy greens, ur fungus, and ur berries.

3) stay away from all forms of (processed) added sugar, both "natural" and artificial.

4) sleep like a baby. always.

waiting to whack 1kg of beef ribs later :D

Last edited:

carey

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think while we shouldn't fear saturated fats, there is probably no reason to go overboard bah i.e. purposely search out very high fat foods...hahah

These days I just listen to my body and eat when I am hungry, stop when I am full...

BPC works for some and not for others - tweak and see what works best for you :D

Personally, I don't do BPC cos I already take butter and EVCO on their own...hahah

Plus I don't have brain fog nor do I get extra energy from drinking BPC - which I think is a chore to make =:p

twinings

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think while we shouldn't fear saturated fats, there is probably no reason to go overboard bah i.e. purposely search out very high fat foods...hahah

These days I just listen to my body and eat when I am hungry, stop when I am full...

BPC works for some and not for others - tweak and see what works best for you :D

Personally, I don't do BPC cos I already take butter and EVCO on their own...hahah

Plus I don't have brain fog nor do I get extra energy from drinking BPC - which I think is a chore to make =:p

I love BPC. :love:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.