Hiking shoe

spuispui

Reaction score
Any brand to intro for hiking shoe? Best if can wear for casual as well. Thx!

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am using Columbia ones... so far so good. but probably not so suitable for casual coz mine is high cut.
Columbia is quite cheap when there is sale in world or sports.
maybe timberland ones will be better for casual. have not used timberland before though coz too expensive for me

Chalkycliffs

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am using Columbia ones... so far so good. but probably not so suitable for casual coz mine is high cut.
Columbia is quite cheap when there is sale in world or sports.
maybe timberland ones will be better for casual. have not used timberland before though coz too expensive for me

From my personal experience, Columbia boots do not last. The glue used is not suitable for our climate. If you are buying for overseas use, it is ok, but once return back to S'pore, the glue cannot tahan.

Salomon is better, but the sizing is quite weird, and also more expensive.

Hisashiburi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Most brands are quite comparable, not really much diff.

If u want to be able to wear casually, get a low cut version.

U can also get those trail running shoes.
They can also be used for hiking

danielkok

Reaction score
Mine is Columbia. Other brands would be Salomon, Merrell, North Face, Timberland.

Get low cut one.

Another important thing to get is good pair of socks.

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
From my personal experience, Columbia boots do not last. The glue used is not suitable for our climate. If you are buying for overseas use, it is ok, but once return back to S'pore, the glue cannot tahan.

Salomon is better, but the sizing is quite weird, and also more expensive.

my Columbia still ok after 3 years. it wore it almost every week for training in bukit timah previously before it closes, as well as for overseas trips

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
another thing to note, if u are planning to wear it casually for walking on pavement or floor, dun get Vibram soles.
Vibram soles are meant for rough terrains and the rubber is tougher and more resistant to wear and tear. however, it provides less grip on smooth surface, especially when wet. I almost fell down many times when using my previous pair which was Merrell with Vibram soles

Chalkycliffs

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
my Columbia still ok after 3 years. it wore it almost every week for training in bukit timah previously before it closes, as well as for overseas trips

I bought a pair of Columbia boots in 2010 for a trip to Tasmania - sizing was good, and it seemed pretty suitable for daily wear.

Came back home, was using it for at least 1 day a week.

Within 1.5 years, the outer sole start to peel away from the upper. Big cracks in the sole with material easily scratched away in chunks with just a finger nail.

Got another pair of Columbias, this time a real insulated winter boot. Wore it around to break it in (really warm!). Trip got posponed. Within 1 year, the upper fabric material completely tore away at the sewing lines from the rubber/plastic outer sole.

Both left and right ones.

Will never buy another pair of Columbia footwear.

The clothing range (back then) was very good quality - hard wearing and tough.

Now very hesitant to get any of their stuff.

Tried Salomon - very happy with the quality, but quite expensive.

vancula

Reaction score
I got a pair of hi-tec back in 2009 for my hiking trip in Canada because it was cheap. Used it again every now and then and its still good until today. Sole still intact, good grip and all.

Like Hisashiburi mentioned, get a low cut shoe if you wanna use it for daily wear.

g_t2006

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of Merrell. Been using it for three years +. Pretty good and looks as good as new. I wash it after every (trekking) trip.

Thinking of getting a pair of Timberland shoes though.

danielkok

Reaction score
My Columbia shoes has survived Mt Kinabalu and Mt Merapi over the past two years. Besides that, I always use those shoes for my overseas trips, which clocks about 15 km of city walking a day. Oh, and I have used them in snow and glacier conditions too.

All ok leh. End of the day, depends on which batch you get. Getting an expensive North Face shoes won't guarantee it won't die fast.

But honestly, if you have been to Mt Kinabalu, you would notice the locals wear rubber Kampung Adidas shoes to literally run up the mountain. They laff at our 'branded' shoes.

orange1988

Reaction score
I also gotten a low cut Merrell and it has served me well for my last 1.5 years of numerous hiking trips overseas. I also wear it like any casual sport shoes. The only concern its really quite slippery on smooth surface like wad others has mentioned. I climbed volcanoes and the the sands are very soft I almost slipped and fall many times.. haha.. Other den that they are quite durable and serve well as both casual and hiking shoes..

singexpat

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Been using my Northface low cut for about 1.5yrs..

been through Mt KK, Gunung Dato, Gunung Belumuut, and couple of hills/mountains.

Still holding well though i have to use an aftermarket insole as i have high arch feet... :o

beanstalk6

Reaction score
Agree. Columbia hiking shoes do not last. I have yet to find good ones that do. Even Hi-Tec and Lafuma. Fairly cheap, but in our climate, the soles come apart from the rest of the shoe quickly.

Delsamor

Banned
Reaction score
Where you all buy your Merrell low cut? Is getting from Queensway shopping centre better?

invisible999

Master Member
Reaction score
Vibram Five Finger KSO sport. Have them six years already. Best US $120 I've spent on shoes - used them from Alaska to Australia, walked on river beds, sand beaches, in jungles and mountains. They still hold.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.