Status
Not open for further replies.

Tornesoul

Master Member
Reaction score

zhirong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
First trip to tokyo in october, deciding btw shinjuku & shibuya for accomodation. What is the diff and suggestions? Thanks in advance!

I personally prefer Shibuya. The main difference is the crowd, Shinjuku has more salaryman feel and since it is the world's busiest station, you may feel overwhelmed. However it is very convenient to travel around the rest of Tokyo if you are based there.

Shibuya is crowded as well but it has a much younger vibes to it. My preference for to base myself there is because I like to cafe hop in Daikanyama and Ebisu.

cancer81

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
main problem with Shinjuku and Shibuya area accommodations

the pricing...

thesal

Reaction score

the pricing...

Agree, I try to stay 1 - 2 stations away from Shinjuku or Shibuya. Something like Richmond Hotel Mejiro or Sakura Hotel Ikebukuro.

Asakusa/ Uneo/ Iriya areas too ulu for me even though its way cheaper..

zhirong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

the pricing...

The last time i book shibuya tobu hotel, it was only 90 dollars per night. This time I am staying with airbnb in Nakano which is just a stop away from Shinjuku, 44 dollars a night for a private room.

w3nGaL

Reaction score
i am intending to get a new camera, advisable to get in SG first or purchase there maybe cheaper? *just general qns as i have not decided on which model or brand to get* but looking at sony or nikon. any disadvantages of getting electronic products in japan?

r the tokyo banana sold at the departure airport same as those we can find elsewhere in tokyo?
because i understand there is a short expiry date so no point to buy too early if they are the same.

i am looking at the transport to snow monkey park. so is this correct - JR from shinjuku to tokyo station, then take the Shinkansen to nagano, then take a dentetsu train to yudanaka station. from the station walk about 20 to 30 mins to the snow monkey park. Did i missed out any steps?

thank you!

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Purchase there is cheaper.
I bought my camera at $750, SG selling $1119.
but everything in Japanese.

They have English models. but u need to ask...

Tokyo banana is the same. Just that i think the expiry date in airport seems to be earlier...

hutkahn

Reaction score
i am looking at the transport to snow monkey park. so is this correct - JR from shinjuku to tokyo station, then take the Shinkansen to nagano, then take a dentetsu train to yudanaka station. from the station walk about 20 to 30 mins to the snow monkey park. Did i missed out any steps?

Can consider taking express bus from Nagano instead, 40min to Kanbayashi Onsen which is nearer to the monkey park, the dentetsu train takes longer even on limited express I think!

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6027.html?aFROM=6000_6025

Purchase there is cheaper.
I bought my camera at $750, SG selling $1119.
but everything in Japanese.

They have English models. but u need to ask...

Any experience buying from Map Cameras? Thinking of buying a second-hand set from there also since they have a 7-day warranty for visitors :)

Panzerf

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i am intending to get a new camera, advisable to get in SG first or purchase there maybe cheaper? *just general qns as i have not decided on which model or brand to get* but looking at sony or nikon. any disadvantages of getting electronic products in japan?

r the tokyo banana sold at the departure airport same as those we can find elsewhere in tokyo?
because i understand there is a short expiry date so no point to buy too early if they are the same.

thank you!

plenty of tokyo bananas at the airport but potato farm always sold out. the tiongs cheong them and call them shu tiao 3 xiong di.

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
plenty of tokyo bananas at the airport but potato farm always sold out. the tiongs cheong them and call them shu tiao 3 xiong di.

hahaaa... first time hear this. :D
issit coz the box got picture of 3 fries?

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

thank you!

if u are getting cameras from japan, take note of a few things:
- international warranty.
- English menu. although most devices can change language, better to make sure before buying
- voltage. nowadays usually the power adaptor can be used for 110-240v. sg voltage is 240 while japan is 110. so if ur adaptor or device cannot take 240v, it may burn out. and buying a step-down adaptor is expensive, so make sure ur device is already compatible to 240v

Tokyo bananas can just get from airport. u can probably get tax free ones after the customs

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

thank you!

I am not sure about Nikon but Sony only have Japanese menu for its local sets. No international warranty. Only Canon can choose menu and yes, it's cheaper there. If you are into lenses, they are cheaper, especially second hand ones and still in good condition.

nanami70

Reaction score
hi,can i ask about air ticket ?i'm planning for my mar 2016 trip,i wanna fly from singapore to hakodate ( i only want to go hakodate)
as i saw SQ having promotion now, i was thinking
is it better to purchase from SQ then buy ANA 10800yen fare (but i don't know still will have this promo for march) or should i just buy direct from ana/jal ? can give me advise please,Thanks

gentoro

Master Member
Reaction score
Any cash card system while rent a car n travelling from tokyo to nagano? Where can buy? 7/11?

Payment of toll vis cash? Suica can be use?

Last edited:

Haonan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Would kindly suggest you to take a look discussion thread and look at my replies on posts #7 and #14 respectively. It should answer your doubts pretty well regarding purchasing Sony cameras in Japan.

I currently use the Sony A6000 and have personally owned a couple of their Cybershot series P&S cams in the past. Can certainly tell you Sony has no bilingual lang support in their cameras for sure, so if you are not japanese-literate or comfortable with the language, you can drop the idea of buying the bodies in JP itself. I don't use Nikon bodies personally, but have a couple of friends ard me who uses Nikon and can confirm with you that their camera bodies does come with bilingual lang support with English/Japanese menu available.

If you wish to take my real advice, my personal suggestion for you would be to just purchase the camera body locally here in SG, and grab your lenses over there in JP. (assuming you are getting either brand maker's mirrorless ILC setup or DLSR setup) As camera lenses/accessories often have significant price savings over the local store counterparts, it is quite worthwhile to purchase in Japan during your vacation trips there. Camera bodies, my personal take on this is I do not believe it is worth it to skip over the 15 months of aftersales support/warranty repairs in order to just save that 200-300 bucks.

w3nGaL

Reaction score
Great advices, thanks guys. I shall just buy in sg cause I am not buying those dlsr camera, just point and shoot type.to save hassle I should just get it locally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.