[Review] D-Link DIR-890L AC3200 ULTRA Tri-Band Gigabit WiFi Router

guile

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Based on review, this router does not support vlan tagging. future firmware updates might be, but not too sure..

shadowandy – my life stories - D-Link DIR-890L AC3200 ULTRA Tri-Band Gigabit WiFi Router

Anyway to work around it? I've been hearing something called Bridge mode but I'm not sure what it means or how it works.

Would really love to get the DIR 890 at the It Show as it's selling for $339 instead of getting a repeater and not getting the speed I want at dead spots around the house.

croc1977

Banned
Reaction score
Anyway to work around it? I've been hearing something called Bridge mode but I'm not sure what it means or how it works.

Would really love to get the DIR 890 at the It Show as it's selling for $339 instead of getting a repeater and not getting the speed I want at dead spots around the house.
7IUaRHb.jpg
[/IMG]
got mine in the it show...

just boh red...sian...

mikengtw

Reaction score
7IUaRHb.jpg
[/IMG]
got mine in the it show...

just boh red...sian...

Been looking for past 2 days still never show up
the red one.. I belive they don't want to bring in.

See tomorrow how last day show would show
the red one .. do let us know how is your set
performance in wireless signal coverage ..

mauz20

Reaction score
ugh just got this router and read the thread. as expected, it won't work with my Singtel Fibre plan.
right now, i'm using it as an AP and using my old router as the modem. i would prefer not to do this as i wanted only one device to handle my connections.

so what are my options, and what do you think is best?
  • wait for DLink to release a firmware that handles vlan (i'm also writing an email to them to ask about this)
  • wait for a dd-wrt firmware that's compatible with this device (if anyone has already tried, please tell me)
  • change my Singtel Fibre plan to Unlimited (from what I heard, this doesn't use vlan? if so, i'll call Singtel and see if it's possible)
  • return it, if possible, and replace with either the Asus or Netgear (unfortunately, stuff purchased in the IT Show doesn't seem to be refundable?)
  • sell it to someone who's willing to pay for it as per the IT show price

mauz20

Reaction score
thanks to some research and a beta dd-wrt that was just released, i now have vlan working and can sell off my old router :D

karlan

Reaction score
Hi

I want to get a black one but can't find anyone that sells it. Challenger only has red.

Any advice?

mauz20

Reaction score
lol weird. during the it show, they said all the red ones were sold out, which is why they were only selling the blacks even tho i was considering getting a red one

karlan

Reaction score
Was it D-Link themselves who sold at the IT show or was it through Challenger?

I got someone to check stock for me on the Challenger system and he only found 3 (all red).

Thanks

mauz20

Reaction score
btw, their response if they will officially support vlan (without the use of dd-wrt):

Good day. We apologize for the inconvenience. The DIR-890L/R is designed for a home environment. We cannot say for certain if the 802.1Q Protocol (VLAN) will be an added feature to this device in the future. If you would like to use VLAN capable routers, youcan contact the Business Class Pre0-Sales department at 1-800-326-1688 ext 5495

AshSim

Master Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Sorry, the product sounds very good. Where can I buy it?

Thank you! ^^

jonoquek

Reaction score
DDWRT

Anyone have try the DDWRT firmware for the DIR-890L ? I found that it is available ? Is it good?

jonoquek

Reaction score
U mean the DDWRT wireless range is bad? or product own firmware ? I thinking of flashing the DDWRT

croc1977

Banned
Reaction score
U mean the DDWRT wireless range is bad? or product own firmware ? I thinking of flashing the DDWRT
to me the range is better than my 865...

but the support really crap....cos my router proberbly one week or one day will showhow no internet...call their support...regradless is their india or sg support keep tell me similar thing...

' this is a new product and we don't have much info' to this..

knn...since your support no info...you should not sell this item till your staff is being train mah...

i shoot email to their SG RMA support team manager...knn...

knn...simi jialat no basic softskill or knowledge ....last time not so jialat...

even sabo me give me wrong authorized dealer address to swap and make me go twice even their rma team say stock there....like limpei alot free time

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.