NTU/NUS/SMU 2015-2016 Intake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havok_ex

Reaction score
Not surprising that the top 5 students of a course may only have a GPA of 3.77. Different courses have different difficulty levels, competitiveness and assessment.

For example, courses that are more subjective - e.g. design-based where art is involved or any other subjects where it is more difficult to determine "correct" answers unlike fact-based subjects - you will find that it is pretty much impossible to find perfect scorers. For such courses, the disparity between the 1st position and his runner-up may also be very wide. I know of a gold medallist (1st position) who won MULTIPLE national design awards but his GPA is less than 3.8. The average GPA of his course? only 2 point something.

For other courses where there is a more "fixed" right and wrong answers for examinations - more maths-based courses eg. Engineering, accountancy etc. where you may depend more on hard-core mugging rather than talent to score...

They may have the entire top 10% scoring GPAs of 3.9 to a perfect 4.00. In such cases, the average GPA score for the entire cohort may already very well be above 3.5. With such close GPA scores for the top scorers, how they determine the top 3 positions (who may all very well have perfect 4s) is the number of distinctions they earned throughout their 3 years.

So don't be too impressed if someone tells you he has a GPA of 3.9 and above. That person may very well be at the 49th out of 50 positions in his class. :s13:
Likewise, don't look down on the person with 3.7 GPA. He may already be the top scorer, lol.

Hmmm. Then that seems to be the problem with the poly right? I mean. NTU would assume that a 3.8 in mech engin would be the same as a 3.8 from biz or accountancy. If both are applying to a course in ntu that has no diploma pre-requisites, Ntu would view both as equals.

JasonMooWK

Reaction score
seems like ntu biz igp have risen quite signifcantly this year.

over the past 3 days, the top 5 students of a biz diploma in nyp were all rejected by NBS. All of us had dip in merit and includes gold, silver , & bronze medal recipients. our gpa ranges from 3.77-3.88

How in the world does a poly student enter NTU, when being in the 10% of the cohort doesnt even get u a spot in NTU? Nuts

I have a friend who manage to secure a place in NBS for accountancy with CGPA 3.7+. Her 5 seems CGPA was 3.82 tho. She just graduated from NYP dip in accountancy and apply for uni this year.

IloveMilo

Reaction score
Hmmm. Then that seems to be the problem with the poly right? I mean. NTU would assume that a 3.8 in mech engin would be the same as a 3.8 from biz or accountancy. If both are applying to a course in ntu that has no diploma pre-requisites, Ntu would view both as equals.

Yups! Exactly! That is why I think they should factor in a person's academic standing as well.

Currently there isn't enough of a difference made between Diploma with Merit holders and a normal diploma.

myzzy1

Reaction score
Im your ntu NBS seniors. Most of the poly grads around me have gpa 3.9 to 4 if that helps.

firebite1

Reaction score
I have been accepted into NTU EEE! Since I accepted the offer in the joint acceptance portal already, if my appeal to NTU EEE with a minor in business fails, I'm still offered a slot right ?

Havok_ex

Reaction score
Yups! Exactly! That is why I think they should factor in a person's academic standing as well.

Currently there isn't enough of a difference made between Diploma with Merit holders and a normal diploma.

Actually, I dont think it should leh. I mean, that would skew against courses whereby there is a larger concentration of smarter people. They would lose out due to the bellcurve in their course being skewed to the right. It would be easier to attain a merit in courses that are easier and that has less capable students. That wouldnt be very fair.

I'm all for factoring a person's academic standing using a universal system that encompasses all courses instead. This would make it much easier. If it is universal, then we would know that a 3.9 from mech engin is better than a 3.4 from say, business. And if there were two people from different courses with the same GPA, they would be viewed as being equally capable.

UnKn0wNaL13n

Reaction score
any NTU computer science seniors here? Can i survive engineering maths 1 and 2 if i'm from poly. i took a-math during a-levels tho.

IAmZTX

Reaction score
any NTU computer science seniors here? Can i survive engineering maths 1 and 2 if i'm from poly. i took a-math during a-levels tho.

Why not check out the SCE past year exam papers to see where you stand? My advice to you is be prepared before going in.

WestgateTower

Reaction score
I'll give you some insider info on philosophy in NTU. Right now. Its really really new. The course took in its first batch last year. They barely have enough lecturers btw. There was barely enough lecturers last year when they were only teaching 1 batch. This August, they will be teaching 2 batches, the current batch and the ones enrolling this August. But they only managed to hire one new prof. Imagine what will happen just 2 years down the road when they have 4 full batches of students to teach AND have to supervise FYPs for the graduating batch.

This upcoming semester, the year 2s will only have 4 new philosophy modules to choose from.

Compare this to History, which is only 2-3 years older than Philosophy, but has 19 modules for their year 2s to choose from. There is no diversity in the modules offered. Either you take the module that they offer, or you pray and hope that they offer something better down the line.

It also means that there will be quite alot of competition for the very limited number of modules offered.

Source :
http://wish.wis.ntu.edu.sg/webexe/owa/aus_subj_cont.main

These are the cons of studying philosophy in NTU. Sad to say, I cant give any pros. There is no track record of employment but one can easily predict that its not going to be very high. So please, think it over a few times if you want to appeal to or accept the offer to philosophy.

iirc, the same happened to the 1st batch of the following NTU courses too - sports science, econs, ADM.

momoabc

Reaction score
Hi Nosferato4 thanks for your reply I think screw interview up lol.

Have prepared my appeal for it.

But another problem is anyone get offer second or third choice from SMU? Since SMU conduct interview for each candidates for their first choice then how about our second or third ? Is it still possible ?

Hi, may I know what is your GPA/ UAS score?

If they haven't given your offer it is likely your interview performance was less than satisfactory, but they are still considering you with other group of applicants who had less than satisfactory interview result.

So you may have a chance! Don't give up.

however, if you want to be more kiasu abit, go start planning your appeal to prepare for worse-case scenario. It will help give you more time to edit it over

WestgateTower

Reaction score
LOL what track record of employment. all arts degrees are the same to the employee. they are not gonna care if you are geog major or history major or philosophy major.

hasn't been true for the employers I've worked for. there definitely was a preference for certain majors more than others.

Qosmix

Reaction score
Hi Nosferato4 thanks for your reply I think screw interview up lol.

Have prepared my appeal for it.

But another problem is anyone get offer second or third choice from SMU? Since SMU conduct interview for each candidates for their first choice then how about our second or third ? Is it still possible ?

From what I heard, SMU seems to base its admission on the one interview that you went for, so if you didnt do that well it seems that you would be eliminated from the other choices. Exception being SIS where they offered some of us the opportunity to attend a second interview where we did a programming test.

IloveMilo

Reaction score
Actually, I dont think it should leh. I mean, that would skew against courses whereby there is a larger concentration of smarter people. They would lose out due to the bellcurve in their course being skewed to the right. It would be easier to attain a merit in courses that are easier and that has less capable students. That wouldnt be very fair.

I'm all for factoring a person's academic standing using a universal system that encompasses all courses instead. This would make it much easier. If it is universal, then we would know that a 3.9 from mech engin is better than a 3.4 from say, business. And if there were two people from different courses with the same GPA, they would be viewed as being equally capable.

I am extremely happy that you could see this enigma, given that many people outside of the polytechnic system couldn't see this.

I fully agree with you using a universal system, especially since it will make things clearer, fairer and more standardized. But what do you mean by an universal system? Do you mean a system of standardized testing - à la JC examinations?

Or do you mean a gauging system by which scores are pegged to and corresponded with? For example, a 3.8 GPA in Apparel Design & Merchandising (a harder course to score well I presume, given that it's so arty-farty lol) will be deemed as an equal to a GPA of 4.00 in Mech Engineering? How would this be implemented then, given the diversified rojak of courses in a poly and with the polys themselves being highly decentralized?

It is gonna be a highly difficult task. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.