demouse

Master Member
Reaction score
Serie A Week 21 - 15/2/04 (15.00)
Lecce - Milan Preview
LIVE on Ch 21, 15 Feb, Sun @ 09:52pm
Stadio Via Del Mare
--------------------------------------------------------------------

League leaders Milan will start as hot favourites to win at the Via Del Mare but they shouldn’t underestimate little Lecce. The southern outfit have won their last three away games which has put them in contention to beat the drop.

The January arrivals of Sicignano, Bolano and Franceschini have given the club renewed hope that they can avoid relegation. Especially with the young strike force of Valeri Bojinov and Javier Chevanton. The latter is particular keen to impress as he has admitted that he would love a summer move to Milan.

The Rossoneri have won all of their League games so far in 2004, their last 2-1 against Perugia on Sunday. The giants had struggled to break down the Umbrian outfit before Rui Costa came off the bench to open the scoring. That goal may see him start as he was only a substitute in that game.

Boss Carlo Ancelotti could decide to field Shevchenko as a lone striker, closely aided by the talented Rui Costa and Brazilian sensation Kaka. The only other selection problem for Ancelotti is who to replace the suspended Giuseppe Pancaro with. Billy Costacurta is favourite even if Serginho and Dario Simic are contenders.

Milan, still without the injured Max Ambrosini, may be tempted to rest a few players but are undoubtedly aware that Juventus were held by Lecce just before Christmas. Especially as they have a five point lead over Roma to protect.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Lecce (probable): Sicignano; Siviglia, Silvestri, Stovini, Tonetto; Cassetti, Bolano, Ledesma, Franceschini; Chevanton, Bojinov

Milan (probable): Dida; Cafu, Nesta, Maldini, Costacurta; Gattuso, Pirlo, Seedorf; Rui Costa, Kaka; Shevchenko

Ref: To folllow

channel 4

leonlee85

Reaction score
we should be able to take the pressure from lecce who play at home. but anyway this is a must win game as after this we're having a tough week. next weekend is the DERBY and followed by CL

i would be delighted if we can win :bounce:

hwmook

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
demouse said:

if he totally hack care the result, he won't bother to put rui costa & shevchenko on the starting 11 ;)

i think i explain before why he had to put shev and rui costa in. rui costa had to play because we always play with either kaka or rui costa regardless of what competition. shev had to play because tomasson is injuried and inzaghi also carry a slight ankle problem from the previous match in fact the latest news is he is out with injuries again.

the conclusion is ancelotti totally heck care about this match. this is a total reserve team, he have got no intention of putting in any starters at all if he can choose. although he keep saying coppa is important and we want it that bulls**t. heck he even field a reserve team in the coppa final last year.

hwmook

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
leonlee85 said:
we should be able to take the pressure from lecce who play at home. but anyway this is a must win game as after this we're having a tough week. next weekend is the DERBY and followed by CL

i would be delighted if we can win :bounce:

we should win big against them and beat our fav opponents inter. :D then we are all set to send sparta out of CL. :D

hwmook

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
demouse said:

wah so expensive, they got sell roma jersey? i wanted to buy one for me niece, her birthday coming and she like totti. got woman size? which floor?

got sell roma jersey. size i am not sure. its on the top floor at pennisula. queenway got quite a few shops all over.

demouse

Master Member
Reaction score
Serie A Week 21 - 15/2/04 (15.00)
Lecce 1 - 1 Milan
Chevanton 19 (L), Shevchenko 52 (M)
Stadio Via Del Mare
--------------------------------------------------------------

Milan are the runaway leaders of Serie A, but their triumphant Serie A march has been halted by little Lecce.

There was a minute's silence ahead of this match for cycling champion and former Tour de France winner Marco Pantani - a passionate Milan fan who died on Saturday evening.

Valeri Bojinov was particularly eager to get a goal in this match, as it was his 18th birthday and the young Bulgarian has been linked with a move to the Rossoneri.

Gennaro Gattuso clashed heads with Cristian Ledesma in the opening minutes and lost a lot of blood, but insisted on carrying on with a large bandage.

Both sides had good early chances with Clarence Seedorf, Bojinov, Max Tonetto's fierce drive and a very dangerous Javier Ernesto Chevanton header.

But it was Chevanton who broke the deadlock after 19 minutes with his 11th goal of the season. The Uruguayan was brought down by Marcos Cafu on the edge of the box and slammed in one of his magnificent trademark free kicks to leave Dida with no chance.

Milan poured forward in search of an equaliser and there was a confident save on Andriy Shevchenko's header, while a Cafu effort was charged down.

Carlo Ancelotti threw on Jon Dahl Tomasson in the second half and adapted his system to a 4-4-2.

It proved an inspired substitution, as within seven minutes Tomasson had held up the ball for Shevchenko's splendid volley from just outside the box. It was a special moment for the Ukrainian, as it was at the Stadio Via del Mare that he scored his first Serie A goal in 1999.

Lecce were perhaps fortunate not to be left in ten men, as Bovo was already booked when he hacked down Tomasson soon after.

Alessandro Nesta did not play in the midweek 4-0 Coppa Italia thrashing at Lazio and he performed a crucial tackle as Chevanton lined up his shot.

The Uruguayan hitman was forced to limp off with a slight muscular problem ten minutes from time.

There was also bad news for the Rossoneri, as Paolo Maldini was booked for a challenge on Axel Konan and will miss the Milan derby through suspension.

Milan thought they had scored the winner in the final minute, but Alessandro Nesta's header was cleared off the line by Jorge Bolano.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Lecce: Sicignano; Siviglia, Bovo, Stovini, Tonetto; Cassetti, Bolano, Ledesma, Franceschini (Abruzzese 79); Chevanton (Vucinic 81), Bojinov (Konan 57)

Milan: Dida; Cafu, Nesta, Maldini, Kaladze; Gattuso (Brocchi 70), Pirlo, Seedorf; Rui Costa (Tomasson 46), Kaka' (Serginho 87); Shevchenko

Ref: Pieri

channel 4

dreamer75

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wah...what happened to him?

34400lecce11.jpg

shevchenko

Master Member
Reaction score
milan didnt play well, esp the first half...
Chevaton was really gd!
lucky we got shevchenko who scored the only half chance of the game!

demouse

Master Member
Reaction score
Shevchenko: What crisis?
Monday 16 February, 2004

Milan striker Andriy Shevchenko has dismissed talk of a crisis after the 1-1 draw at lowly Lecce.

The Rossoneri, who lost 4-0 at Lazio in the Cup last week, struggled at the Via Del Mare but Shev was keen to praise their opponents.

"There is no crisis here," said the Ukrainian. "Lecce caused us problems in the first half where we played badly.

"However, we played football at the highest levels after the break. Had we performed like that for 90 minutes we would have won."

The striker again caught the eye as he scored his 17th goal of the season to mark his 200th appearance for the club.

"My goal was only important for the result," he added. "Fortunately Roma also drew but there are still plenty of games to go in the Scudetto chase."

Milan will be next in action on Saturday when they play city rivals Inter. But the European Champions will be without Paolo Maldini.

The captain was booked which means he will be suspended for the derby. A decision which has infuriated the legend.

"I didn’t see my opponent and he didn’t see me," said the stopper. "There was no intention in the contact so I shouldn’t have been shown the yellow card."

channel 4

leonlee85

Reaction score
rating from gazzetta.it :

Lecce:
Sicignano 6
Siviglia 6
Bovo 6
Stovini 6.5
Tonetto 6
Cassetti 6
Bolano 7
Ladesma 6.5
Franceschini 6
Bojinov 6
Chevanton 7.5

Milan:
Dida 6
Cafu 6
Nesta 7
Maldini 6.5
Kaladze 6
Gattuso 6.5
Brocchi 6
Pirlo 6.5
Seedorf 5
Kak・5
Rui Costa 5
Tomasson 6.5
Sheva 7

Lecce played well and deserved a draw :sad:

dreamer75

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
leonlee85 said:
rating from gazzetta.it :

Lecce:
Sicignano 6
Siviglia 6
Bovo 6
Stovini 6.5
Tonetto 6
Cassetti 6
Bolano 7
Ladesma 6.5
Franceschini 6
Bojinov 6
Chevanton 7.5

Milan:
Dida 6
Cafu 6
Nesta 7
Maldini 6.5
Kaladze 6
Gattuso 6.5
Brocchi 6
Pirlo 6.5
Seedorf 5
Kak・5
Rui Costa 5
Tomasson 6.5
Sheva 7

Lecce played well and deserved a draw :sad:

Chevanton is the key man.

leonlee85

Reaction score
demouse said:
Shevchenko: What crisis?
Monday 16 February, 2004

Milan striker Andriy Shevchenko has dismissed talk of a crisis after the 1-1 draw at lowly Lecce.

The Rossoneri, who lost 4-0 at Lazio in the Cup last week, struggled at the Via Del Mare but Shev was keen to praise their opponents.

"There is no crisis here," said the Ukrainian. "Lecce caused us problems in the first half where we played badly.

"However, we played football at the highest levels after the break. Had we performed like that for 90 minutes we would have won."

The striker again caught the eye as he scored his 17th goal of the season to mark his 200th appearance for the club.

"My goal was only important for the result," he added. "Fortunately Roma also drew but there are still plenty of games to go in the Scudetto chase."

Milan will be next in action on Saturday when they play city rivals Inter. But the European Champions will be without Paolo Maldini.

The captain was booked which means he will be suspended for the derby. A decision which has infuriated the legend.

"I didn’t see my opponent and he didn’t see me," said the stopper. "There was no intention in the contact so I shouldn’t have been shown the yellow card."

channel 4

we've slow down after the defeat from Lazio but that's far from crisis ;)

hwmook

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Jaap Stam's agent has revealed to a Dutch newspaper that his client has agreed to join Milan.

"Jaap has already agreed terms with Milan," said Henk van Ginkel.

"Juventus and Inter were also interested in the player but he only wanted to join the European champions.

"Lazio and Milan must now look to reach an agreement by the end of this month, otherwise it could collapse.

"If that happens then Stam will see out his contract with Lazio before returning to his homeland.

"He isn't interested in long drawn out talks. He has his family to think of and also wants to concentrate on the European Championships."
SA Italy

i can't believe this. stam is coming to milan.
:D

demouse

Master Member
Reaction score
Stam set for Milan - agent
Tuesday 17 February, 2004

Jaap Stam’s agent has revealed that the Lazio player is on the verge of a summer move to Milan.

The Dutchman is expected to quit the capital club at the end of the season and the Rossoneri seem to have beat Inter and Juventus for his services.

"Jaap has already agreed terms with Milan," Henk van Ginkel told the ‘Volkskrant’ newspaper.

"Juventus and Inter were also interested in the player but he only wanted to join the European champions."

Although van Ginkel is confident that the transfer will go through, he admits that the two clubs have yet to agree a fee.

"Lazio and Milan must now look to reach an agreement by the end of this month, otherwise it could collapse.

"If that happens then Stam will see out his contract with Lazio (which expires in 2005) before returning to his homeland.

"He isn’t interested in long drawn out talks. He has his family to think of and also wants to concentrate on the European Championships."

Speculation suggests that Stam, 32, has agreed a two-year deal with the San Siro outfit.

Stam had already stated on his personal website that he wanted a move to one of the Milan clubs rather than Juventus.

channel 4

demouse

Master Member
Reaction score
Maldini ban appeal fails
Tuesday 17 February, 2004

Paolo Maldini’s insistence he didn’t kick Axel Konan on purpose has fallen on deaf ears as the Milan captain is suspended for the derby.

The Rossoneri hero was booked during the closing stages of their 1-1 draw at Lecce, creating an automatic one-match ban.

Maldini and the club maintained both players were looking at the ball when they clashed in midfield and that it should therefore not have warranted a yellow card.

“We are not angry,” insisted Carlo Ancelotti, “but there is clearly regret for an incident that damaged our campaign. We are particularly upset that there was a lack of consistency from the referee.”

channel 4

demouse

Master Member
Reaction score
hwmook said:
Jaap Stam's agent has revealed to a Dutch newspaper that his client has agreed to join Milan.

"Juventus and Inter were also interested in the player but he only wanted to join the European champions.

"If that happens then Stam will see out his contract with Lazio before returning to his homeland.

"He isn't interested in long drawn out talks. He has his family to think of and also wants to concentrate on the European Championships."
SA Italy

i can't believe this. stam is coming to milan. :D

but he's already 32

leonlee85

Reaction score
hwmook said:

SA Italy

i can't believe this. stam is coming to milan.
:D

ok stam is a world class central defender, but we already have nesta & maldini so does it mean we're going to switch to 3 men defence? if not that means we're going to rotate the 3 of them but knowing stam who has a strong character (he doesn't compromise on his wages at lazio), would he accept to be benched on some games?

or, assume we stick to 4 men defence and stam can play right back as he plays now at lazio. in this case he & cafu will be rotated? same question again, would he (or cafu) accept to be rotated?

i really hope to see stam joining us. he has played with nesta for some years and if guarantee good pairing on the pitch...

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.