Wireless IP Camera thread

Ted100

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Need to ask a couple of questions:
1. If my research is right, Foscam cameras model FI9xxxx can record video to NAS. Can someone confirm this? I am looking at FI9821W (PC Show $119)
2. Where is the best place to get Foscam? Any stores in Funan to recommend since that is quite close to my office?

I have a Prolink PIC1007WP (gift) and is quite happy with it but the lowest model that can record to NAS is PIC1003 which costs $169.

linxiaobei

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My previous case doesn't reboot, it just went offline. Not even recording on its SDcard, which means the whole camera is down.

The adapter shouldn't be the problem either, otherwise why would it be working when I initially switched it on?

My wifi network also shouldn't be the problem, otherwise the rest of my devices on the same network would be facing the same issue (so called connectivity issues or whatnot).

Anyway, I have shared my story before and I got my partial refund. Just that I have spent at least 10% of the cost of the camera just to travel and replace it.

I got SNH-P6410BN from Samsung instead. So far so good, recording 24 hours using iSpy even though there is no live recording except on the SDcard. Wide len, IR vision, no PTZ though unless you are talking about digital zooming.

But of course, it is much more costly compared to Vstarcam, but the money paid for having reduced headaches, I feel that it is worth my money.

Fuzzywuz

Reaction score
Hi Lin, the issue you just described, in my opinion, is a faulty unit. Quite different from intermittent rebooting issue described before. What causes reboot can be many factors. For example, software hang, power intermittent, power line surge and so on. So we need to investigate difference cases separately and not lump everything together.

zippy79

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bought the Dlink 5222L so far so good. Only issue is can't use the app to link the camera. In the end use the CD installation to add to dlink account instead.

Speaker quite weak. Mic not bad. Set it to auto reboot everyday at 9am.

Forgot to ask the sales person what happen if the MicroSD card is full, will it auto override the old clips?

discoburg

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just bought an Aztech IP camera from the PC show. I can access it using the app in my iPhone. However i am unable to find it with the Synology surveillance app. I keyed in my IP address of the cam and still can't find.

geckoSG

Master Member
Reaction score
Good to know that. I have come across auto reboot claims that are actually not due to camera.

Its also how the firmware is designed, from wat I learn from MARIX, vstarcam is designed to use DHCP so that it is PNP, but saying this, when their cam have network connectivity failure to send heart beat back. It will auto reboot to attempt to establish connectivity.

But the camera i think after 3 rounds will stop auto reboot n issue private IP so that it can work as an independent camera to continue recording. In private IP mode, you will not be able to connect to the camera until you reboot the camera.

This is what I heard from the techs there

abcdef

Reaction score
Foscam IP camera

Hi. I'm looking for any shops that sell Foscam IP cameras. Do you know of any in Sim Lim or Funan? Thanks!

Fuzzywuz

Reaction score
Yes, auto reboot feature is something we should consider. Provided it is intended. I also think wireless network connection in Singapore is challenging. Especially there isn't regulation to restrict neighbors blasting 2.4GHz with high power antennas. (I believe there isn't).

santa74

Reaction score
Hi Bro and Sis here!

I would like to install wireless IP cam and have a few things like to know;

1. If I want to install outside of my flat, near main door, do I need to get any kind of permission from authorities or no need? (Reason why is I lost a few things and now worry about my bikes which I keep outside.)
2. Which brand is good to go if my budget is between $100-150? (If the price difference is huge, I don't mind to go for those models which cannot make streaming.)
3. Can I install by myself or need to call technician.
4. Any other things that good to know?

Thanks in advance for your advise.

geckoSG

Master Member
Reaction score
Yes. Common area needs HDB or town council approval, police case to report lost of property first will help. If u can do it on your own, can DIY also. Most IP Cameras on market allows u to DIY.

Fuzzywuz

Reaction score
There is no clear rule for this. Last time I checked with town council, answer is no. But then certain case, yes. Sometimes, no need to ask. Just do it with descretion.
And you need expert advise especially on drilling through thick walls. And no contractor will do the job if pay too low.

geckoSG

Master Member
Reaction score
Spy cameras? Fuzzywuz just share here Loh. Dun need PM lah. Share openly so everyone knows Mah.

Actually most of the time, we want cameras to be seen, this push the thoughts of whoever trying to steal on your property lower. Rather than hidden and allow it to happen. My landed property in MY have all sorts of warning signs, visible cameras n alarm system to show n inform burglars to skip this unit and go for another one instead. So far, 8 years and no breakins, but my neighbors ganna a few times.

Make it visible.

Fuzzywuz

Reaction score
Ok LAH. Just share one trick, a simple one. Put in shoe box with 12V lead acid battery. Recharge another so you can change. Battery bank also can LOH!!

geckoSG

Master Member
Reaction score
Use powerbank can Liao. Xiaomi 16000mAh an last 13hrs on vstarcam. So shld last same for all other IP cams also

Or use romoss 20k powerbank. I got around 16hrs the last time

Last edited:

wave125s

Reaction score
it rotate back because it restarted. I have the same issue as well until i set the preset so whenever it restarts, it will go back to original position - still its annoying to keep restarting because my recording keeps getting cut!

Thanks! It works fine so far now after I set the preset.

Fuzzywuz

Reaction score
Use powerbank can Liao. Xiaomi 16000mAh an last 13hrs on vstarcam. So shld last same for all other IP cams also

Or use romoss 20k powerbank. I got around 16hrs the last time

Must use so big meh? Looks like current consumption very high for VSTAR or the POWERBANK using recycled battery.:s13:

geckoSG

Master Member
Reaction score
u can go buy and test on ur easyn and see whats actual usage hours loh on viewing non stop streaming and see if can achieve same or not loh. The whole aim using powerbank is to have maximum usage hour. Share after u do your test hor.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.