Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

kenapa siol

Master Member
Reaction score
Got my first VPN, PIA :)

Just to check which server should i connect to? Tried dling ubuntu desktop based on US california, i got avg 2.2-2.4 MB/s. Im on SH fibre 100mbps.

And may i also ask, do we stick to one server as long as it serves the purpose? Or i can connect out of US as well for bt-ing.

Edit: Able to get around 7mb/s on SH itself. Using wireless 2.4 usb adapter. Is there any setting that set to at least let PIA gets half of 7mb/s?

Last edited:

schlep

Reaction score
Did u use the Smart DNS? Try the DN server closest to Singapore. I think there is one in Singapore itself and another one in HK. I am watching it from Amazon Fire TV and it works fine. Video quality is HD after a few seconds of loading.

c1steady

Reaction score
Did u use the Smart DNS? Try the DN server closest to Singapore. I think there is one in Singapore itself and another one in HK. I am watching it from Amazon Fire TV and it works fine. Video quality is HD after a few seconds of loading.

how do i use Smart DNS ?
I am using DN server closest to Singapore for primary and secondary is in HK. But still low quality ...

stiwipl

Reaction score
Looking at VPN for torrenting. Considered Astrill but heard they keep logs and Torguard does not allow torrenting on their Singapore servers. Is this true? Anyone hitting 4-5 mbps on their VPN?

Word of caution: Never use Singapore server for torrenting if you are in Singapore even if some VPNs allow that. I am sure there is more (maybe a request from SG authorities) behind AirVPN withdrawal from Singapore's Softlayer datacenter.

matdrc

Reaction score
Astrill on AC68U

Hi guys,

I've checked don't think the merlin firmware is out for the router above? So, is there a way to manually set the settings within the router page under VPN Client?

oric1

Reaction score
Hi Oric1,

Thanks! Guess I didnt click on the screenshot to go to the actual link coz the shot didnt have the 68 yet. Is this flash treated as an upgrade or a complete reinstall, where I have to reconfig everything again?

Thanks again. Gonna try out the Astrill.

If you're coming from an older firmware then you'll need to do a factory reset after flashing the new firmware. After that just input your settings manually, do not restore the settings from your saved config file as it would defect the purpose of the factory reset.

[FAQ] NVRAM and Factory Default Reset

Luffy Pirate King

Reaction score
Dear all,

Need some advise and help. And pardon for the WOT. Been reading this thread for a while and decided to get PIA vpn services for my netflix and my torrent needs. I'm on starhub fibre 100mbps plan, and im using a PC with wireless usb adapter.

I sign up the 365 days subscription. Im using utorrent at default setting. My first try was to dl the ubuntu desktop to test out. So i connected my PIA to US california server, the avg was 1.5-2mb/s and it took around 20min to dl the file (1gb). But without VPN, i can get it in less then 8min. So i did a speedtest on a few US server and other server on PIA website with VPN on,

California ~2mb/s
US east ~ 1mb/s
US west less then 1mb/s
US seattle less then 1mb/s
Hongkong 8mb/s
Singapore ~20mb/s

So i chat with the CSO and he/she told me to change my port number from 9201 to 8080 to 53 and so on, and also change from udp to tcp if the above did not work out for me, none of this improves the speed.

Then i try adding the PIA extension/exclusion on my anti virus, and also add in a DNS on the tcp/udp v4 thing on my network, also no improvement. I also tried using transmission for windows in case the torrent speed is fine just that the speed test is not, still, no improvement. I've send out another ticket seeking for help from PIA. If PIA really doesnt "suits" me, i will get the refund and sign up for another VPN service.

So, just to confirm with the VPN user and experts here, based on the above i mentioned, is there something wrong with my setting? Or is there anything else i can do? Please advise. Any help is welcome and very much appreciated.

tkl23786

Master Member
Reaction score
Dear all,

Need some advise and help. And pardon for the WOT. Been reading this thread for a while and decided to get PIA vpn services for my netflix and my torrent needs. I'm on starhub fibre 100mbps plan, and im using a PC with wireless usb adapter.

I sign up the 365 days subscription. Im using utorrent at default setting. My first try was to dl the ubuntu desktop to test out. So i connected my PIA to US california server, the avg was 1.5-2mb/s and it took around 20min to dl the file (1gb). But without VPN, i can get it in less then 8min. So i did a speedtest on a few US server and other server on PIA website with VPN on,

California ~2mb/s
US east ~ 1mb/s
US west less then 1mb/s
US seattle less then 1mb/s
Hongkong 8mb/s
Singapore ~20mb/s

So i chat with the CSO and he/she told me to change my port number from 9201 to 8080 to 53 and so on, and also change from udp to tcp if the above did not work out for me, none of this improves the speed.

Then i try adding the PIA extension/exclusion on my anti virus, and also add in a DNS on the tcp/udp v4 thing on my network, also no improvement. I also tried using transmission for windows in case the torrent speed is fine just that the speed test is not, still, no improvement. I've send out another ticket seeking for help from PIA. If PIA really doesnt "suits" me, i will get the refund and sign up for another VPN service.

So, just to confirm with the VPN user and experts here, based on the above i mentioned, is there something wrong with my setting? Or is there anything else i can do? Please advise. Any help is welcome and very much appreciated.

You're using wireless that's why it's slow.

@Luffy Pirate King: Does your PC not have a wireless NIC? Why use wireless usb adaptor? Unless your NIC only has N wireless and you are using AC wireless usb adaptor... but it should not matter whether it is N or AC as you are using 100Mbps plan...

If possible, try LAN connection to see whether there is an improvement, if you can use LAN connection.

@negativezero: Luffy Pirate King stated that he can DL the file in 8mins without VPN, so the wireless should be working properly, no?

negativzero

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@Luffy Pirate King: Does your PC not have a wireless NIC? Why use wireless usb adaptor? Unless your NIC only has N wireless and you are using AC wireless usb adaptor... but it should not matter whether it is N or AC as you are using 100Mbps plan...

If possible, try LAN connection to see whether there is an improvement, if you can use LAN connection.

@negativezero: Luffy Pirate King stated that he can DL the file in 8mins without VPN, so the wireless should be working properly, no?

8mins without VPN is slow liao. Those Ubuntu files should be done in 2-3 mins on 100mbps. It's the problem of wireless. And I suspect he doesn't even have a good wireless adapter or router.

Luffy Pirate King

Reaction score
You're using wireless that's why it's slow.

8mins without VPN is slow liao. Those Ubuntu files should be done in 2-3 mins on 100mbps. It's the problem of wireless. And I suspect he doesn't even have a good wireless adapter or router.

Am i right to assume, for VPN to work "normally", wireless = crappy speed no matter what sort of setting i tweak? And yes, you are right, im using a lousy wireless usb adapter that comes free with the purchase of my smart TV, its a N wireless nia, and my router is from starhub, Dlink 865, never flashed to any 3rd party firmware because too chim to understand.

My PC, the mainboard is asrock us3s, doesnt come with NIC. Previously on cable, im on LAN, but ever since i change to fibre, the modem is 2 rooms away from my PC, thats why swich to wireless for now until i can figure out a better solution to hide that ugly LAN cable.

Anyway, with all that said, if i were to change to LAN cable and try out, and if the speedtest result is similar, could it be my VPN setting problem? Or this PIA really doesnt work well with me or my ISP?

And Thank You both for the reply :)

negativzero

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nope, can pretty much guarantee + chop kkj if you change to ethernet you will have better speed. Right now you're 2 rooms away and using a crappy adapter, don't expect miracles because you got too much overheads. Nothing wrong with the config, its all the hardware.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.