NTU/NUS/SMU 2015-2016 Intake

Status
Not open for further replies.

AhPORK

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi has anyone heard from NUS with regards to appeals? What do you think the competition is like for NUS biz?? Seems to me everyone is appealing for NTU biz (do most people think it's better? If not why is everyone dying to go there while there's next to nothing on appeals to nus biz?) sorry for my incessant questions! If anyone can shed some light that'll be great :) and I also realized most are from Poly which is kind of intimidating haha do my fellow JC mates just like accept what they're given and are not motivated to appeal? Thanks and all the best to those waiting on their appeals!
What make you think so lol

Sent from my potato using GAGT

Zabiyaki

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi has anyone heard from NUS with regards to appeals? What do you think the competition is like for NUS biz?? Seems to me everyone is appealing for NTU biz (do most people think it's better? If not why is everyone dying to go there while there's next to nothing on appeals to nus biz?) sorry for my incessant questions! If anyone can shed some light that'll be great :) and I also realized most are from Poly which is kind of intimidating haha do my fellow JC mates just like accept what they're given and are not motivated to appeal? Thanks and all the best to those waiting on their appeals!

One thing ur forgetting is that it's harder for poly students to get in as compared to jc. The number of slots allocated are different

Dj_papa

Reaction score
Hey that's me :) Haha no response but for me I guess there's little to no hope so yeah all the best to you!!

hey! how was your test. i couldnt event compute the second part of the test.The format was totally different from the one we practised! dun really think i can secue a placing either

ttarieltt

Reaction score
hey! how was your test. i couldnt event compute the second part of the test.The format was totally different from the one we practised! dun really think i can secue a placing either

I can't do any of the questions hahhaa so yeah I'm screwed. I think if you can do the first and second then you should be fine :)

jameskoay

Reaction score
How's life at NUS Biz? Easy? Hard? Manageable? Fun? :)

hahah I can't speak for others... but personally its like a fast forwarded version of poly... so it kind of sucks that I can't relax like I used to in poly :s13: but that aside.. my first year in uni was actually quite alright.. considering that I came from the exact same course from poly.. the modules are almost the same and it wasn't too difficult except the analytical (math) kind of modules for me. along with the 1st year (5 modules worth of S/U) gradeless.. it is somewhat an added advantage cause you choose your battles wisely and score As for those other than the 5 modules that you are gonna exclude from CAP/GPA computation :D

the camps were not bad... but comparing uni to poly classes... uni is mainly hi/bye... except for cca and other stuff. so kinda sian.. oh well... external activities come into play =:p

how are you? ;)

Last edited:

jameskoay

Reaction score
Its not that bad to graduate in 3 yrs without honours right? Haha.

Sent from phone using GAGT

hahah erm.. I have friends (girls) who chose to graduate without honours... mainly cause they were 'tired' and just wanted to grad and work :s13: eh... well I would say whats the point of doing honours if you are gonna get like 3rd class honours right? maybe some ppl don't see the point of even getting 2nd lower? not sure leh.

jameskoay

Reaction score

hahah well most people are like "WOAH NBS SIA... I heard its the best business school in Singapore" "SMU Business! very good school! I heard they earn the most out of all the 3 schools! and they train students very well for IB!"

hahah this is my personal opinion why there is a hype for both schools and not NUS :s13: I too also laugh at this cause it is true.. there is really very little or close to none that say NUS Business is the best... I usually hear like oh cause its the flagship uni and all. So I just laugh about it also cause my gf is from SMU business :s13: let NBS and SMU Biz fight it out :s8: I'll just do my thang quietly :D I feel how well you grad is more important than the actual entry :o

Nicholas92

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hahah well most people are like "WOAH NBS SIA... I heard its the best business school in Singapore" "SMU Business! very good school! I heard they earn the most out of all the 3 schools! and they train students very well for IB!"

hahah this is my personal opinion why there is a hype for both schools and not NUS :s13: I too also laugh at this cause it is true.. there is really very little or close to none that say NUS Business is the best... I usually hear like oh cause its the flagship uni and all. So I just laugh about it also cause my gf is from SMU business :s13: let NBS and SMU Biz fight it out :s8: I'll just do my thang quietly :D I feel how well you grad is more important than the actual entry :o

NUS Business itself is not that famous... but it rides on NUS reputation as it's main attraction point. Plus its a top-tier course in NUS easily outside of Law & Medicine.

NTU Business is opposite... it has to ride on its own (NBS) reputation cause the NTU schoolname obviously lose to NUS by a large margin. Thats why NBS students don't like calling ourself "NTU BUSINESS" but instead keep using "NBS" instead..

Nicholas92

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hahah I can't speak for others... but personally its like a fast forwarded version of poly... so it kind of sucks that I can't relax like I used to in poly :s13: but that aside.. my first year in uni was actually quite alright.. considering that I came from the exact same course from poly.. the modules are almost the same and it wasn't too difficult except the analytical (math) kind of modules for me. along with the 1st year (5 modules worth of S/U) gradeless.. it is somewhat an added advantage cause you choose your battles wisely and score As for those other than the 5 modules that you are gonna exclude from CAP/GPA computation :D

the camps were not bad... but comparing uni to poly classes... uni is mainly hi/bye... except for cca and other stuff. so kinda sian.. oh well... external activities come into play =:p

how are you? ;)

Surviving in NTU Business. Like you said, also a faster paced version of poly with similar modules and content. But the competition is ten fold steeper and we don't have the gradeless thing. :(

But at least we have the cheapened direct honors so much easier to get here. But I saw someone post that NUS honors requirement changed to 3.2 so also easier to get...

I think third class or second lower still better than no honors leh... At least you can put "(Honours)" in your resume..

HollyW

Reaction score

Thanks for your input! My friends all say the same thing actually because I'm currently holding a place in NBS and they say it's stupid to appeal out. But I have to factor in distance and I stay really really near NUS, I think that and NUS' brand name is reason enough for me. Ultimately it depends on yourself and how much you want to put in because all 3 are good isn't it?

IloveMilo

Reaction score
Hi all,

Is it possible to still yet to hear a reply from SMU? (since the very first submission of application in March) Because that's the case for me. I've applied for Social Sciences @ SMU and till now have yet to hear anything from them when the deadline for the second window of acceptance is tomorrow (21 June).

Is it possible to actually receive a reply (acceptance or rejection) from SMU even after the 21 June?

Also, I've recently went for my NTU interview for SSM programme just a few days ago (on thurs). Is it true that the universities do not reply/send acceptance or rejection on weekends? So I must wait till the weekdays to hear a reply from them?

Thanks to anyone reading this! :)

Hey sk8kid,

It is possible to hear back from SMU even after the deadline for the second window of acceptance has closed. In fact, they may even notify you as late as early July.
This is what a SMU admin staff told me.

Hope this helps you. :)

jameskoay

Reaction score
Surviving in NTU Business. Like you said, also a faster paced version of poly with similar modules and content. But the competition is ten fold steeper and we don't have the gradeless thing. :(

But at least we have the cheapened direct honors so much easier to get here. But I saw someone post that NUS honors requirement changed to 3.2 so also easier to get...

I think third class or second lower still better than no honors leh... At least you can put "(Honours)" in your resume..

yeah ikr! I have pals in both NTU and SMU biz as well. hahah the NTU guy said that the S/U policy there is close to useless :s13: must get like an F to auto-activate it or something.

I guess if you are "forced" to obtain an honours by the end of year 3.. you wouldn't have much of a choice if you were gonna grad with a 3rd class right? hahha.. but yeah I think the mean/average person grads with 2nd lower :) and that gives slightly higher pay than a pass degree... but 3rd class.. i'm not so sure about that :s13:

yup now to qualify for honours programme is 3.2 but honestly if your CAP/GPA was 3.2 at the point in year 3... it is in the 3rd class honours range.. unless you are confident of pulling it up to a minimum 3.5; I don't think I would take up honours :s13:

oh NTU and SMU seems to be more poly dominated hor? NUS really a lot of JC ppl haha

Last edited:

jameskoay

Reaction score
Thanks for your input! My friends all say the same thing actually because I'm currently holding a place in NBS and they say it's stupid to appeal out. But I have to factor in distance and I stay really really near NUS, I think that and NUS' brand name is reason enough for me. Ultimately it depends on yourself and how much you want to put in because all 3 are good isn't it?

hey HollyW.. I guess if you are not intending to stay in hall.. just like me... and I stay at pasir ris... NTU was not even a consideration for me :s13: and that is why I went to NUS. SMU... ehh not my style :D

but since you are near NUS... NTU is still a viable option la. why don't you just appeal for NUS biz.. then if you get it.. then decide again :s13: for now just stick with NBS lor

and yeah la.. there is no discrimination amongst the 3 biz schools really. a lot of ppl always think that oh go to biz school can already and always see the glamorous IB sector and finance = big bucks lol... but in reality there has to be ppl that don't do well in the course and they do not end up with very good jobs :s13:.. so just pick one, don't look back and do well! :)

ps: remember NUS has the gradeless first year for Biz school... this one ah.. really... I think it is quite a "cheat" hahahha 1st year students usually nua nua and play a lot ma.. so it is a good wake up call.. then year 2 you will chiong harder for studies haha

Zabiyaki

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yeah ikr! I have pals in both NTU and SMU biz as well. hahah the NTU guy said that the S/U policy there is close to useless :s13: must get like an F to auto-activate it or something.

I guess if you are "forced" to obtain an honours by the end of year 3.. you wouldn't have much of a choice if you were gonna grad with a 3rd class right? hahha.. but yeah I think the mean/average person grads with 2nd lower :) and that gives slightly higher pay than a pass degree... but 3rd class.. i'm not so sure about that :s13:

yup now to qualify for honours programme is 3.2 but honestly if your CAP/GPA was 3.2 at the point in year 3... it is in the 3rd class honours range.. unless you are confident of pulling it up to a minimum 3.5; I don't think I would take up honours :s13:

oh NTU and SMU seems to be more poly dominated hor? NUS really a lot of JC ppl haha

There is no third class honors in NTU NBS
The first year s/u policy for NTU only happens when you FAIL a module..so yea as good as useless

and yeah la.. there is no discrimination amongst the 3 biz schools really. a lot of ppl always think that oh go to biz school can already and always see the glamorous IB sector and finance = big bucks lol... but in reality there has to be ppl that don't do well in the course and they do not end up with very good jobs :s13:.. so just pick one, don't look back and do well! ...

The only job with big bucks is the IB sector..I think SMU has the largest number of ppl going there..cause u need to be very outspoken.Theres too little jobs and too many people trying to get in.

Finance doesnt mean big bucks...

NTU students really dont speak up much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.