NTU/NUS/SMU 2015-2016 Intake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil Bunny

Reaction score
I think the first year SU for failing means you need to retake it, it's more like allowing you to take the module again without affecting your gpa yet.

Zabiyaki

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think the first year SU for failing means you need to retake it, it's more like allowing you to take the module again without affecting your gpa yet.

Thats why its useless....you must do dam bad in order to fail..and than must retake

Even if you put in minimum effort, you should still be able to pass :s22:

BeingHopeful

Reaction score
Were you given any course before this? Last year, appeal results came out 1st July right? So I'm guessing it'll be out either this week or the next.

furnote

Reaction score
hi future coursemate! going to com sci too. Not going for either since I have work to do, hope I can manage somehow :s22:

hello! I am stressed over whether to join the orientation camp or not :s13:
Honestly, don't like stuff like orientation, but still want to make some friends..

lil_bear

Reaction score
Does NTU have to clock certain hours of community service? Orientation camp counted?

Sent from Samsung SM-N9005 using GAGT

Zabiyaki

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Does NTU have to clock certain hours of community service? Orientation camp counted?

Sent from Samsung SM-N9005 using GAGT
Sorry but can you explain.. How are you contributing to the community by participating in orientation activities?

Dunt know if trolling or serious.. Lol

Nicholas92

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ps: remember NUS has the gradeless first year for Biz school... this one ah.. really... I think it is quite a "cheat" hahahha 1st year students usually nua nua and play a lot ma.. so it is a good wake up call.. then year 2 you will chiong harder for studies haha

What's the average honors at NUS biz ah? if only 50% can take honors and only 50% of that 50% can get 2nd upper means only 25%?

NTU biz damn easy to get 2nd upper even slacker poly student like me also can get 4.00 just by attending classes regularly...

The down side is the value of 2nd upper not that high cause every tom dick harry also have.

sk8kid

Reaction score
Hey sk8kid,

It is possible to hear back from SMU even after the deadline for the second window of acceptance has closed. In fact, they may even notify you as late as early July.
This is what a SMU admin staff told me.

Hope this helps you. :)

Hey there,

thanks so much for your reply but decided that I am not going to wait for SMU reply already because I've heard from both NUS and NTU regarding my appeal :)

Thanks so much anw and good luck to whoever is still waiting for their appeal results!

BeingHopeful

Reaction score
Hey there,

thanks so much for your reply but decided that I am not going to wait for SMU reply already because I've heard from both NUS and NTU regarding my appeal :)

Thanks so much anw and good luck to whoever is still waiting for their appeal results!

If you don't mind me asking, when did you get your reply from NUS? (Appeal, I mean)

Zabiyaki

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can contribute la! Like Rag etc.

If they integrate a charity portion than i guess it can be counted..but at the same time, the charity portion can be held independently on its own and most orientation camps etc do not do these.

Havok_ex

Reaction score
I have been rejected from my NTU appeal, to Sociology.

This piece of news is a huge personal blow to me but I decided to share it here despite personal pain because I had benefited from the advice of forumers here (and some who took the time and effort to reply me through PM) and I hope that in turn, through my sharing, it can possibly help another person gain a more complete insight into the uni's application process.

That said, I'm pretty devastated. I think the most infuriating part is not knowing what I had done wrong to be rejected. My GPA sits well within the IGP range and I personally know of people who had a lower GPA than mine but successfully secured a place in Sociology. I can only deduce that my poor O levels spoiled the chances for me. BUT whether it is truly because of this reason, I cannot be really sure - and this is the frustrating part.

What do they use to calculate the O levels component? Is it L1R5 or L1B4?

What should I do now? Can any seniors advise me please? :(((

I believe they take L1R5. If GPA is not the problem, it could be your interview? Were you called up to attend an interview?

It might not have been a problem with you per se, however, it might be possible that this year, the IGP increased. Note that soci has a small intake, so the IGP can fluctuate quickly each year depending on demand. We will only know in December when the new IGP for this year's successful applicants is released.

As for advise, I cant give much. You cant retake your As since its already June. You could try emailing your appeal directly to the soci dept. If you believe that your GPA is high enough then you should emphasise it.

Im not sure if you can still apply for any other private universities at this point in time, I'm not sure when their applications close.

Last edited:

IloveMilo

Reaction score
Hey there,

Hey sk8kid,

No prob! :)

Mind sharing the results of your NUS NTU appeal? What course did you appeal into?

IloveMilo

Reaction score
I believe they take L1R5. If GPA is not the problem, it could be your interview? Were you called up to attend an interview?

It might not have been a problem with you per se, however, it might be possible that this year, the IGP increased. Note that soci has a small intake, so the IGP can fluctuate quickly each year depending on demand. We will only know in December when the new IGP for this year's successful applicants is released.

As for advise, I cant give much. You cant retake your As since its already June. You could try emailing your appeal directly to the soci dept. If you believe that your GPA is high enough then you should emphasise it.

Im not sure if you can still apply for any other private universities at this point in time, I'm not sure when their applications close.

Hi Havok_ex!

Thanks for replying! :)

Nope, I wasn't even granted an interview. I did appeal directly to soci dept, and was still rejected.

Havok_ex

Reaction score
Hi Havok_ex!

Thanks for replying! :)

Nope, I wasn't even granted an interview. I did appeal directly to soci dept, and was still rejected.

So you didnt get any HSS courses at all? From your GPA, it is quite surprising that you are rejected. The only reason I can think of is that the IGP shot up this year. How bad were your O-levels? Did you fail any subject?

what is your backup plan now? If you are in army, try again next year.

I think she's a girl.

jameskoay

Reaction score
What's the average honors at NUS biz ah? if only 50% can take honors and only 50% of that 50% can get 2nd upper means only 25%?

NTU biz damn easy to get 2nd upper even slacker poly student like me also can get 4.00 just by attending classes regularly...

The down side is the value of 2nd upper not that high cause every tom dick harry also have.

wah I really don't know the stats leh.. didn't go bother check it out :s13:

really will be de-valued meh... I don't think so ba :s13:

Zabiyaki

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wah I really don't know the stats leh.. didn't go bother check it out :s13:

really will be de-valued meh... I don't think so ba :s13:

Not just NTU trying to churn out more honor students..NUS also..last year, they just revised the requirements

I personally feel it makes you harder to stand out..because if everyone is applying for the same job as you..and all have honors..than :s22:

de-valued? probably
if almost every resume you see has honors..then whats so special about a student who has one?..:s13::s13:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.