Ask me any questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Quick question guys. Im going hakone like within these few days. http://www.odakyu.jp/english/romancecar/timetable/a01.html . Am I right to say 1st train to hakone from shinjuku is train 201 at 7am? And last train is 146 going back shinjuku 20.57pm?

base on ur website, the last direct train back from Hakone-Yumoto departs at 19:46 and arrives at 21:18. this is for weekdays schedule.

I did a search on hyperdia and the results are the same.

there are later trains from Hakone-Yumoto, but u will need to transfer at Odawara.

Wishdom

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What are some must-buys in Japan? Or hokkaido to be more specific.

-EnZo-

Master Member
Reaction score
base on ur website, the last direct train back from Hakone-Yumoto departs at 19:46 and arrives at 21:18. this is for weekdays schedule.

I did a search on hyperdia and the results are the same.

there are later trains from Hakone-Yumoto, but u will need to transfer at Odawara.

hmmm means last train back to shinjuku from hakone yumoto departs at 19.46.. okok thanks evilerniex. still very confusingbut ill find my way i guess . with the trains and freepasses. thanks alot! appreciate it

cancer81

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Hokkaido normal list of omiyage is Royce chocolate, potatoes farm, shiro koibito. There are other very nice confectioneries as well

kippei

Reaction score
GPS menu is usually in japanese. but it is still ok even if u dunno any jap. just get the rental company stuff to show u how to enter the destination.
sound is in english, meaning the the GPS will tell u to "turn left", "turn right" in english.

GPS is easy to use. just need to find the mapcode or telephone number of the place u are going. japanese gps can use tel no. to identify location.

Thanks man

dlrowehtleah

Reaction score
can ask any qtn right? i've one that sounds stupid.

we (adult male & female, not school going kids) will be in tokyo next month which, i supposed, it will be (officially) summer by then. my qtn is if it is ok (look normal and not out of place) to wear shorts (above knees type) or bermudas there. "there" as in tourist spots like skytree, asakusa nakamise dori, harajuku takeshita dori, eating in some ramenya, shopping in their malls/don quijote, walking in kabukicho at night, visiting shrines/temples and most curious of all, taking their subway/metro.

i've researched many online pics and YouTube vids, it seems that the local adults are usually fully wrapped like dumpling day or night. it will look odd/weird/funny on us if we are the only group that don shorts in a subway cabin surrounded by a train packed of passengers all dressed in suits and ties. :eek:

(ok in okinawa, many japs are in beachwear.)

saffronsatire

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

other than the usual hokkaido produce cancer81 mentioned and hori corn, there's this quite nice grape flavored white chocolate. tried it when someone bought it long ago and i chanced upon it on my trip a few years back. might have bought it at one of those lavender places in furano. couldn't find pix online. but it's a small transparent packet with transparent wrapper. cubic chocolate.

Last edited:

Wishdom

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thank you cancer and saffron.

It seems like food products are major must-buys; im especially looking forward to hoard nama chocolates.

Just wondering, are clothings cheaper in Japan? For now, i've only thought about uniqlo, but am unsure of other brands and the pricing differences.

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thank you cancer and saffron.

It seems like food products are major must-buys; im especially looking forward to hoard nama chocolates.

Just wondering, are clothings cheaper in Japan? For now, i've only thought about uniqlo, but am unsure of other brands and the pricing differences.

Uniqlo is cheaper in Japan even though with the usual ongoing sale here. Selection is about the same although they have some special designs there, such as the made in Japan jeans which can go for $20-30 during their sale season.

Some major brands may have Japan exclusive designs which you can look out for. There are also plenty of local designs but their shops are not easy to find. The ones featured at the big departmental stores are quite pricey although they do have good sales from time to time.

When it comes to food and snacks, I'd normally go for those which I can't find locally. Royce has plenty of shops here so I would skip that unless the taste is very different over there.

saffronsatire

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
not sure about clothes but for bags, agnès b is much cheaper. like just maybe S$120 for a basic ladies canvas bag compared to maybe S$180 in sg. can't remember the prices for the guys range. some dept stores don't have much variety, their boutique is better.

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
can refer to this thread on the things to buy in japan:
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/japan-271/what-souveniors-had-u-bought-japan-2353047.html

for fashion, Japanese brands are usually cheaper there. e.g. porter, onitsuka tiger, burberry blue/black label, issey miyake (their bao bao very popular in sg recently), agnes b, Samantha thavasa.

as mentioned by purpleberry, uniqlo is only slightly cheaper than sg. so if sg having sale, it is going to be cheaper than full priced items in japan. can go for the items that are on sale in japan

dylanchang

Reaction score
Hi Dimitri,

I've been trying to study about the Japan Rail pass & how to go about but still can't really understand. Appreciate your expertise & guidance on this. I just don't want to waste un-necessary money on buying the Japan Rail passes & in the end bought wrongly.

I will be going to Tokyo in January 2016. It's from 8th - 15th January 2016.

These are the places that I will be going to:-

1. Hakone Shrine
2. Mount Fuji
3. Echigo Yuzawa Ski Resort
4. Kiyomizu-Dera Temple, Kyoto

Do I need to get the Japan Rail pass (which is quite costly at around SGD300 plus)? Which place should I go first to? I will be staying in Jimbocho, Tokyo.

Truly appreciate your assistance on this.

Thank you.
Dylan

rachel-

Reaction score
Help with itinerary

Hello,

I'm visiting Japan in late July, and need help with the itinerary. I've drafted this out, but need some advice if this looks fine:

Day 1, Sat
Flight from Singapore 0925 to Narita 1730
Flight from Narita 1945 to Chitose 2130
Stay at a hotel at Sapporo

Day 2, Sun
Explore Sapporo area

Day 3, Mon
Explore Otaru area

Day 4, Tues
Day trip to Furano & Biei area for the lavender fields

Day 5, Wed
Flight from Chitose 0820 to Osaka 1035
Explore Osaka

Day 6, Thu
Explore Osaka

Day 7, Fri
Flight from Osaka 0705 to Narita 0830
Explore Tokyo

Day 8, Sat
Day trip to Yokohama

Day 9, Sun
Explore Tokyo

Day 10, Mon
Flight from Haneda 0920 to Singapore 1515

Would also need recommendations for hotels in Sapporo and Osaka.

PS: So far, I've only booked my return tickets on SQ, but not any of the domestic flights. I've also been to Tokyo last year so I think 2-3 days would be enough this time round for some shopping and exploring the city. I'm also not really into visiting temples, hence I'm skipping the Kyoto region.

Appreciate your advice! Thank you!

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Dimitri,

I've been trying to study about the Japan Rail pass & how to go about but still can't really understand. Appreciate your expertise & guidance on this. I just don't want to waste un-necessary money on buying the Japan Rail passes & in the end bought wrongly.

I will be going to Tokyo in January 2016. It's from 8th - 15th January 2016.

These are the places that I will be going to:-

1. Hakone Shrine
2. Mount Fuji
3. Echigo Yuzawa Ski Resort
4. Kiyomizu-Dera Temple, Kyoto

Do I need to get the Japan Rail pass (which is quite costly at around SGD300 plus)? Which place should I go first to? I will be staying in Jimbocho, Tokyo.

Truly appreciate your assistance on this.

Thank you.
Dylan

are u planning to stay in Tokyo and make day trips to these places?
the places u listed are all spread out, especially Kyoto which is very far from the places u are going. in fact none of the places are in Tokyo.

Kyoto is 3hrs by shinkansen from Tokyo. not worth the time and cost just to go there as a day trip.

will be good to spend a night at hakone and yuzawa coz it will be quite rush to make day trip. sun sets early in winter also and the sky get dark ard 4+pm, so u dun have much daylight for sightseeing.

dylanchang

Reaction score
are u planning to stay in Tokyo and make day trips to these places?
the places u listed are all spread out, especially Kyoto which is very far from the places u are going. in fact none of the places are in Tokyo.

Kyoto is 3hrs by shinkansen from Tokyo. not worth the time and cost just to go there as a day trip.

will be good to spend a night at hakone and yuzawa coz it will be quite rush to make day trip. sun sets early in winter also and the sky get dark ard 4+pm, so u dun have much daylight for sightseeing.

Thanks very much for the reply. I will be staying in Osaka for 4 days & then will be heading to Tokyo. Appreciate your infomation very much.

floppy

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks very much for the reply. I will be staying in Osaka for 4 days & then will be heading to Tokyo. Appreciate your infomation very much.
will you be flying to tokyo and returning from tokyo? If yes the rail pass is definitely worth it. return trip via shinkansen (kyoto-tokyo) is ¥27,600 via the Tokaido Shinkansen. There is excluding your other Shinkansen rides, assuming that you'll be taking the Tokaido Shinkansen to the Shin-Fuji station (about ¥12,000 return) and the Joetsu Shinkansen to Echigo-Yuzawa (about ¥14,000 return) and your intra city rides.

you can use hyperdia.com to plan your journey, as well as to check out costs for train rides.

floppy

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
will you be flying to tokyo and returning from tokyo? If yes the rail pass is definitely worth it. return trip via shinkansen (kyoto-tokyo) is ¥27,600 via the Tokaido Shinkansen. There is excluding your other Shinkansen rides, assuming that you'll be taking the Tokaido Shinkansen to the Shin-Fuji station (about ¥12,000 return) and the Joetsu Shinkansen to Echigo-Yuzawa (about ¥14,000 return) and your intra city rides.

you can use hyperdia.com to plan your journey, as well as to check out costs for train rides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.