NTU/NUS/SMU 2015-2016 Intake

Status
Not open for further replies.

IAmZTX

Reaction score
comeon lar, university liao, you ask this type of question~

You can choose to take engineering math for semester 1. As much as I know, most modules are available in both semesters 1 & 2. The timetable is registered for you for year 1, but you can change it from what I heard.

True that, i realise he/she keep asking this kind of no common sense questions.

Don't know is he/she trolling or what. He/she might struggle when school starts. No doubt :)

pinky4568

Reaction score
Hi guys. I have been rejected by all 3 local u partially due to unwise course selections. Appeal to ntu and nus have failed as well. Very confused as what to do now. Should I reappeal or take a gap year? My grades are bcc/e, b for gp and c for pw.

On a side note, I was accepted to unisim for their accountancy programme.

Evil Bunny

Reaction score
Hi guys. I have been rejected by all 3 local u partially due to unwise course selections. Appeal to ntu and nus have failed as well. Very confused as what to do now. Should I reappeal or take a gap year? My grades are bcc/e, b for gp and c for pw.

try appealing, if really can't make it then take a gap year.
or if you don't mind unisim. =/

don't give up anyway, one year isn't that bad

Havok_ex

Reaction score

Didnt apply for any engin courses? IMO, you should just go ahead with unisim. The fact that you didnt put courses like engin in your choices for NTU means that you had no strong intention or passion for that course in the first place. If you end up there next year just because you wanted to go into local uni, you will end up suffering. Without the right motivation, you will find the 4 years of uni life a living hell. If accountancy is what you want and what you think you can do, then just go for it.

Zabiyaki

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

This is actually up to you.. Is it worth waiting one year? What if nxt year don't get in also

My friends who can't get in either went overseas or sim

Sim is not very expensive, about the same as most of the three uni cost. Can be even cheaper depending on what course you are comparing

intime

Reaction score

Go UniSIM accountancy lor. What bad wat.
At least it is accredited by SQP.

Why u wan NTU, NUS? What u desire from those uni that UniSIM dont hav? :s12:

a&w_rootbeerz

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Just go unisim accountancy. The accountancy program in unisim is on par with those from local unis. What if you wait for next year and you got rejected again? Getting into local uni is getting tougher each year.

Last edited:

pinky4568

Reaction score
Didnt apply for any engin courses? IMO, you should just go ahead with unisim. The fact that you didnt put courses like engin in your choices for NTU means that you had no strong intention or passion for that course in the first place. If you end up there next year just because you wanted to go into local uni, you will end up suffering. Without the right motivation, you will find the 4 years of uni life a living hell. If accountancy is what you want and what you think you can do, then just go for it.

I wasn't really interested in engineering but after I found out more about mse, I became quite interested in that and did appeal for it. Was rejected though.

pinky4568

Reaction score
Go UniSIM accountancy lor. What bad wat.
At least it is accredited by SQP.

Why u wan NTU, NUS? What u desire from those uni that UniSIM dont hav? :s12:
Just go unisim accountancy. The accountancy program in unisim is on par with those from local unis. What if you wait for next year and you got rejected again? Getting into local uni is getting tougher each year.

I am concerned about unisim degree recognition and the job opportunities. Will a unisim degree put me at a disadvantage?

Zabiyaki

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am concerned about unisim degree recognition and the job opportunities. Will a unisim degree put me at a disadvantage?

Degree is definitely recognised

Job opportunities will not be as plentiful but it's not something I'd waste one year over

There is negative stigma involved with sim. However after u work a few years.. Nobody will care where the hell u graduated from but more on how well u can perform

Havok_ex

Reaction score
I wasn't really interested in engineering but after I found out more about mse, I became quite interested in that and did appeal for it. Was rejected though.

I really find that quite hard to believe. You sure that the interest has more to do with the course and less to do with getting into a local uni?

My skepticism aside, I don't think you should take a gap year. Reason being that your grades are borderline for MSE. And its unlikely that the IGP will drop next year since it just gets harder. So its likely that when next year comes around, the IGP would be higher than your grades.

cincaifish

Reaction score

Hey, I was in the same plight as you just one year ago. I didn't consider engine courses because all that hearsay stereotypes of them. Go take a gap year, it's gonna be hard, the first few months with all your friends telling you how their uni experience was, not being able to hang out with them frequently etc, while you are stuck at work. I've been through it.

I was embarassed to see any ex-classmates or schoolmates because all the questions end up steering back to "Where did you go? What course?"(I mean if you're the kind of person who fears judgement from other people) Truthfully, those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind so I just kept to my closest friends.

During that one year, I did research on the engine courses lah, I found that they are different from what the stereotypes. Perhaps if I just blindly chose engine last year, I might have been just the typical "just go for a degree" people. But I feel that I'll "treasure" it more now than ever that I've gotten to engine this year, also during this one year, I've improved on my people skill via work. So don't think of it as wasting a year per se. Think of this, what is that one year be compared to the future 60 years of your life.

All this is from my point of view.
If you're still on for business courses, Unisim is a great option. (Just don't go for Banking and Finance)

Good luck girl!

Last edited:

turnbackclock

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey, I was in the same plight as you just one year ago. I didn't consider engine courses because all that hearsay stereotypes of them. Go take a gap year, it's gonna be hard, the first few months with all your friends telling you how their uni experience was, not being able to hang out with them frequently etc, while you are stuck at work. I've been through it.

I was embarassed to see any ex-classmates or schoolmates because all the questions end up steering back to "Where did you go? What course?"(I mean if you're the kind of person who fears judgement from other people) Truthfully, those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind so I just kept to my closest friends.

During that one year, I did research on the engine courses lah, I found that they are different from what the stereotypes. Perhaps if I just blindly chose engine last year, I might have been just the typical "just go for a degree" people. But I feel that I'll "treasure" it more now than ever that I've gotten to engine this year, also during this one year, I've improved on my people skill via work. So don't think of it as wasting a year per se. Think of this, what is that one year be compared to the future 60 years of your life.

All this is from my point of view.
If you're still on for business courses, Unisim is a great option. (Just don't go for Banking and Finance)

Good luck girl!

I didn't regret taking a gap year too. I took the time to pursue working experiences and some interest I had. Mainly because I needed money.
However, the only thing that differ is I had a placing secured for me.

If you have interest in engineering, you might want to take a gap year.
However that being said, if you aren't confident that you would be able to get a placing next year, just go for unisim.

keith seow

Reaction score

I was in a similar encounter too. But I m in NS. This year managed to secure a placing in ntu. Maybe you can take a gap year, then work on your porfolio(job experiences, recommendation letters and etc). I noticed your grade in GP is good, can try out Ntu HSS courses.

Zabiyaki

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I didn't regret taking a gap year too. I took the time to pursue working experiences and some interest I had. Mainly because I needed money.
However, the only thing that differ is I had a placing secured for me.

If you have interest in engineering, you might want to take a gap year.
However that being said, if you aren't confident that you would be able to get a placing next year, just go for unisim.

The working experience isnt really considered as "experience" tho..It'll be mostly admin etc jobs:s22:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.