Ask me any questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
how to ask whether is there tax rebate in japanese?
Generally those purchases at department stores above 10001 yen will qualify for tax rebate. It's quite obvious. You will see it at the counter. Small shops would not have it.

floppy

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Generally those purchases at department stores above 10001 yen will qualify for tax rebate. It's quite obvious. You will see it at the counter. Small shops would not have it.
5401 yen for consumables.

cancer81

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
this is more of a mountain lodge than your regular onsen ryokan.

it is after all 1260m above sea level. Sounds like nice bucket list place to visit :)

cormet

Reaction score
Yes it says they are closed from 10 Oct for this year.

The other text on top says they are only open for 123 days per year.

Oh noooooooooo got to source for a new place to stay now. Thanks a lot!

cormet

Reaction score
I'm reconsidering my decision to spend a night in Sounkyo. I'll be coming from Lake Akan so it'll be about a 3h drive over.

I'm visiting in end Oct, is there still autumn foliage? Can the gorge be covered as a "drive thru"? I may want to transfer the night to Asahikawa instead.

Last edited:

idrinkecoke

Master Member
Reaction score
Do Japanese speak basic english? Is it worth taking the bulllet train to osaka and spend 1 day there then back to tokyo?

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do Japanese speak basic english? Is it worth taking the bulllet train to osaka and spend 1 day there then back to tokyo?

not advisable. the one-way shinkansen to Osaka is about 14000yen and takes about 3hrs. it is going to be very costly, and u wun have much time to spend in Osaka after all the travelling time

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

The younger chaps do speak basic English, if not hand gestures should do the trick.

Travelling to Osaka for a night stay is very costly and not recommended imo. You can save this for another trip in the future. You can check on http://www.hyperdia.com/ for the costs and travelling time.

crntbs

Reaction score
Hi all,
My friend and I are planning for a self drive trip in Kyushu during last 2 weeks of Oct. I wanted to book accommodation in advance but my friend wanted to do this differently by looking for accommodation depending on where we are at the end of the day. I couldn't seem to convince my friend because She had done a road trip in usa using her method and She thot it'll be more cost effective and less stressful without having to follow a schedule.
I've read travel blogs and most of the ppl seems to have book accommodation in advance and there wasn't much advice regarding this. Therefore, I would like to seek opinion from the experts in here whether it is advisable to travel in kyushu without booking for accommodation?

Last edited:

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
My friend and I are planning for a self drive trip in Kyushu during last 2 weeks of Oct. I wanted to book accommodation in advance but my friend wanted to do this differently by looking for accommodation depending on where we are at the end of the day. I couldn't seem to convince my friend because She had done a road trip in usa using her method and She thot it'll be more cost effective and less stressful without having to follow a schedule.
I've read travel blogs and most of the ppl seems to have book accommodation in advance and there wasn't much advice regarding this. Therefore, I would like to seek opinion from the experts in here whether it is advisable to travel in kyushu without booking for accommodation?

oct is peak season for autumn leaves in Kyushu. cheap and good accom may be hard find.
Kyoto accom are usually fully booked months in advance for autumn leaves season. while Kyushu is not as popular a tourist destination as Kyoto, it is still quite risky not to book in advance. not point wasting time driving around searching for accom.
to make things flexible, maybe u can book those with free cancellations. so at least have something to fall back on

crntbs

Reaction score
oct is peak season for autumn leaves in Kyushu. cheap and good accom may be hard find.
Kyoto accom are usually fully booked months in advance for autumn leaves season. while Kyushu is not as popular a tourist destination as Kyoto, it is still quite risky not to book in advance. not point wasting time driving around searching for accom.
to make things flexible, maybe u can book those with free cancellations. so at least have something to fall back on
Hi evilerniex,
Thanks for the advice. This is what I need to convince my friend. :)

Zr

Reaction score
hm... without Hakone Owakudani. is it still worth to make a 1day trip to hakone?

cancer81

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Might as well wait till the place is fully open to visitors.

Kinugawa, Nikko or Kamakura make good side trips too. You can also consider karuizawa

cormet

Reaction score
Anybody knows which are the hotels in Tokyo where the concierge can help to make restaurant reservations at the hard to get places?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.