Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

negativzero

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you know some faster and more speed consistent VPNs, please share. But based on my experience, others are not better and definitely not more consistent with their speeds. I had really big hopes for VyprVPN but every single server there seems to be capped around 20-30Mbps...

Some good read about VPN security of different VPN providers here.

Astrill is still fast, but not as fast as it was at the beginning of the year when they started taking down their p2p servers and swapping everything around.

Honestly for the price and performance now, I'm sticking with my PIA. At least I don't need to worry about spiking and sub-par performance whenever they take down a server.

ViewMPG

Reaction score
Don't use the socks proxy to torrent, use their VPN app instead. Can get 50-60MB/s downloading the ubuntu torrent.

Ok did some wired tests downloading ubuntu over and over again and considering my laptop is old and not even high specs. This laptop can't even connect to 5ghz band on my RT-N56U using wireless. That's how old it is.
Running Cat5 RJ-45 from laptop to router. Router to modem using Cat6.

ISP: M1 Ltd 200mbps plan
VPN : Off 5.9MB/s
VPN : On router (PIA California server) avg 1.5MB/s
VPN : On app (PIA California server) avg 1.5MB/s
VPN : On app (PIA Singapore server) avg 4.8MB/s

50-60MB/s don't seem possible with my hardware specs.
Oddly though, I am able to access Netflix through the PIA SG server. All other servers seem to be blocked by Netflix.

negativzero

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ok did some wired tests downloading ubuntu over and over again and considering my laptop is old and not even high specs. This laptop can't even connect to 5ghz band on my RT-N56U using wireless. That's how old it is.
Running Cat5 RJ-45 from laptop to router. Router to modem using Cat6.

ISP: M1 Ltd 200mbps plan
VPN : Off 5.9MB/s
VPN : On router (PIA California server) avg 1.5MB/s
VPN : On app (PIA California server) avg 1.5MB/s
VPN : On app (PIA Singapore server) avg 4.8MB/s

50-60MB/s don't seem possible with my hardware specs.
Oddly though, I am able to access Netflix through the PIA SG server. All other servers seem to be blocked by Netflix.
My macbook also at least 4 years old now but I use Ethernet to torrent. Check that your laptop is connected at 1gbps and not 100mbps and you're using a quality cable.

Roger_Daniels

Banned
Reaction score
Best VPN for you

VPN services have become an important tool to counter the growing threat of Internet surveillance, but unfortunately not all VPNs are as anonymous as one might hope. In fact, some VPN services log users' IP-addresses and other private info for months. To find out how anonymous VPNs really are, TF asked the leading providers about their logging practices and other privacy sensitive policies.

spyBy now most Internet users are well aware of the fact that pretty much every step they take on the Internet is logged or monitored.

To prevent their IP-addresses from being visible to the rest of the Internet, millions of people have signed up to a VPN service. Using a VPN allows users to use the Internet anonymously and prevent snooping.

Unfortunately, not all VPN services are as anonymous as they claim, as several incidents have shown in the past.

By popular demand we now present the fourth iteration of our VPN services “logging” review. In addition to questions about logging practices, we also asked VPN providers about other privacy sensitive policies, so prospective users can make an informed decision.

1. Do you keep ANY logs which would allow you to match an IP-address and a time stamp to a user of your service? If so, exactly what information do you hold and for how long?

2. Under what jurisdiction(s) does your company operate?

3. What tools are used to monitor and mitigate abuse of your service?

4. Do you use any external email providers (e.g. Google Apps) or support tools ( e.g Live support, Zendesk) that hold information provided by users?

5. In the event you receive a DMCA takedown notice or European equivalent, how are these handled?

6. What steps are taken when a valid court order requires your company to identify an active user of your service? Has this ever happened?

7. Does your company have a warrant canary or a similar solution to alert customers to gag orders?

8. Is BitTorrent and other file-sharing traffic allowed on all servers? If not, why?

9. Which payment systems do you use and how are these linked to individual user accounts?

10. What is the most secure VPN connection and encryption algorithm you would recommend to your users? Do you provide tools such as “kill switches” if a connection drops and DNS leak protection?

11. Do you use your own DNS servers? (if not, which servers do you use?)

12. Do you have physical control over your VPN servers and network or are they outsourced and hosted by a third party (if so, which ones)? Where are your servers located?

Below is the list of responses we received from various VPN providers, in their own words. In some cases we asked for further clarification. VPN providers who keep logs for longer than 7 days were excluded, and others who simply failed to respond.

Please note that several VPN companies listed here do log to some extent. We therefore divided the responses into a category of providers who keep no logs (page 1/2) and one for who keep usage and/or session logs (page 3). The order of the VPNs within each category holds no value.

We are also working on a convenient overview page as well as dedicated review pages for all providers, with the option for users to rate theirs and add a custom review. These will be added in the near future.

hnzfaz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Astrill is still fast, but not as fast as it was at the beginning of the year when they started taking down their p2p servers and swapping everything around.

Honestly for the price and performance now, I'm sticking with my PIA. At least I don't need to worry about spiking and sub-par performance whenever they take down a server.

I have to chime in and say from my experience as astrill user, there's a deterioration of speed for all 3 sg servers as well. Also takes unusually longer time to get connected to these servers.

Really hope it's temporary as I still have months to go before my subscription ends.

micheloving

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
purevpn reliable? can share real reviews thanks.

Also any good sites to stream videos from vpn? beside netflix and hulu XD .

VPN noob here .

Last edited:

oric1

Reaction score
I have to chime in and say from my experience as astrill user, there's a deterioration of speed for all 3 sg servers as well. Also takes unusually longer time to get connected to these servers.

Really hope it's temporary as I still have months to go before my subscription ends.

I've been with them for the 3rd year and recently renewed for 2 more years during the Black Friday deal last year.

So far no complain with their SG servers and connection also quite fast. Not sure what speed you're getting (they have 6 SG servers now, including 1 for torrenting). SG via Korea (Gamers) was down so can't test.

SG 1
4498773989.png

SG 2 (can use for bit torrent)
4498777016.png

SG 3
4498779088.png

SG 4
4498781915.png

SG via NZ (Gamers)
4498784401.png

Last edited:

evildoctor

Reaction score
Hey Guys, any tips or advice on unotelly VPN??? And is there any service provider out there who can provide VPN and DNS at an affordable price?

stiwipl

Reaction score
Hey Guys, any tips or advice on unotelly VPN??? And is there any service provider out there who can provide VPN and DNS at an affordable price?

Overplay? AirVPN does geolocation routing, so if you are connected to their US server, you will be able to unlock both US & UK content.

schlep

Reaction score
@evildoctor I have Unotelly Smart DNS for Netflix, Amazon Instant Video and Hulu. It works silky smooth on Netflix. Amazon Instant Video recently has been acting up. I cant get HD playback readily on my Amazon Fire TV player. Hulu stutters alot but plays HD.
Unotelly is quite pricey. I bought it during the Black Friday sale.

kelvinkezz

Reaction score
Hi, has anyone connected using purevpn in china recently? can share how is the overall experience? thanks!

micheloving

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Since most vpn allow multi-connection at the same time .....

Is it actually better to share the vpn and cost together with hwz ppl (assuming they can be trusted lar )?

hnzfaz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I've been with them for the 3rd year and recently renewed for 2 more years during the Black Friday deal last year.

So far no complain with their SG servers and connection also quite fast. Not sure what speed you're getting (they have 6 SG servers now, including 1 for torrenting). SG via Korea (Gamers) was down so can't test.

SG 1
4498773989.png

SG 2 (can use for bit torrent)
4498777016.png

SG 3
4498779088.png

SG 4
4498781915.png

SG via NZ (Gamers)
4498784401.png

My experience of slower SG servers comes from downloading from file hosters like rapidgator, uploaded.to etc. The speed now is like half of what it used to be at the beginning of the year, esp during sg peak hours at night. It could be the a particular hoster's problem, but I'm sort of getting the same slow down across different hosters.

kira86

Master Member
Reaction score
Planing to get one dedicated server from leaseweb now and use it as a VPN and torrent box

stiwipl

Reaction score
Planing to get one dedicated server from leaseweb now and use it as a VPN and torrent box

Leaseweb is a great company with excellent connectivity, I have been using their dedicated servers for 10 years but not for VPN.

negativzero

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Bro, speedtest has nothing to do with real-world performance. As far as I am concerned, performance to sites like Netflix, BBC, premium download sites and torrents all don't justify the price we're paying now. Its less than half the speed now than when it was at its peak.

Having the best speedtest and the most locations doesn't mean a thing when downloading speeds are so bad now.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.