Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zerospace

Reaction score
Extended warranty : should cover indoor & outdoor PCB main board & fan motor else, wires is never covering is guess, outdoor compressor was standard 5 yrs from argent.

Like installation PVC outlet pipe was clog & maintainance by serving only.

Thanks for the reply. I tried reading the term and conditions on gain city website for the extended warranty. It does not say anything about quarterly servicing/maintenance is required to qualify for the 5 yrs warranty. But I searched this huge thread and came across one post that claims that quarterly service is required for the 5 yrs extended warranty by gain city. Only 1 bedroom aircon will used mostly the rest will be used occasionally only so servicing quarterly is abit too much and the main purpose I get mitsubishi is coz its easy to clean so that I can clean it myself.

tannl88

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
want to replace my air con.

requirements:
2 rooms, 4mx3m each (bigger rooms due to older gen HDB flats).
was offered starmex system 2, 9kBTUx2 at $22xx.

do i need a 28k BTU compressor, seems like they quote me 20k BTU compressor?
any recommendations?

Last edited:

clipper

Reaction score
Question on insulation of copper pipes.

I engaged a contractor who placed both liquid and gas copper pipes within the same insulation foam. They claimed that it has no adverse effect on the performance of the aircon and also made claims that no customers has issue with it.

I examined the installation manual and it stated clearly that the liquid and gas copper pipes must be insulated separately.

Could anybody from the industry shares his/her view ?

Alphas

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
they want to cut cost. Gas carry cold refrigant, and the water is for drainage. So the cold gas have to cool the waste waste water for nothing, thereby decrease its efficiency.

kimsim

Suspended
Reaction score
want to replace my air con.

requirements:
2 rooms, 4mx3m each (bigger rooms due to older gen HDB flats).
was offered starmex system 2, 9kBTUx2 at $22xx.

do i need a 28k BTU compressor, seems like they quote me 20k BTU compressor?
any recommendations?

9k x 2 just 18k good than enough, even 9k + 13k also sufficient too

kimsim

Suspended
Reaction score
Question on insulation of copper pipes.

I engaged a contractor who placed both liquid and gas copper pipes within the same insulation foam. They claimed that it has no adverse effect on the performance of the aircon and also made claims that no customers has issue with it.

I examined the installation manual and it stated clearly that the liquid and gas copper pipes must be insulated separately.

Could anybody from the industry shares his/her view ?

Wow save cost.. Anyway the cooling copper can be turn into water and dripping from the insulation foam, cause 2 pipe put together in between has more gap.

Water dripped from trunking is not longer too.
And even pvc water discharge pvc didn't cover with insulation too they might same happen on water dripping as well.

clipper

Reaction score
Wow save cost.. Anyway the cooling copper can be turn into water and dripping from the insulation foam, cause 2 pipe put together in between has more gap.

Water dripped from trunking is not longer too.
And even pvc water discharge pvc didn't cover with insulation too they might same happen on water dripping as well.

Hi kimsim,
Thank you for the explanation.

In conclusion :

a) The copper pipe (named gas) must has its own insulation foam. (Return from Fan coil unit to compressor)
b) The copper pipe (liquid) must has its own insulation foam. (Supply from compressor to Fan Coil Unit)
c) The drainage pipe must has its own insulation foam. (Water discharge from Fan Coil Unit)
Between the compressor and the fan coil unit - there is a total of 2 copper pipes wrapped separately with its own insulation foam and 1 PVC pipe wrapped in insulation foam.

I tried to listen to the air con contractor to his story. But I find his explanations absurd and illogical. I am okay with big trunking which destroy the aesthetic of the wall.

I guess i have to take up the issue. As much as i know that installation of air con is a tough job (i.e carry heavy compressor and installation of brackets, etc) , I do not understand why people like to take short cut.

kimsim

Suspended
Reaction score
what about the price, any advice?

You can try to quote from All Best or GC, is around 3300 or lesser

Like those big company will provide better wires code and copper if upgrade from G23 to G22 if necessary.

Again upgrade from 13mm PVC pipe to 16mm can be asking too.

Also for Cooper pipe and PVC pipe may insulation as separate as well.

So they might ask you to consider for bigger trunking size, if you don't mind

Like Aircon brand can decide for Starmex in future less headache for maintenace an issue.

Last edited:

kimsim

Suspended
Reaction score
Just tells your something on Aircons, like those hair saloon should prefer on Panasonic can be solve less often with chemical wash an issue, cause thier cooling coil will be slighly bigger gap to avoid more hairs stuck out.

Like Daikin, LG, Fujitsu or MHI might be more often to do with chemical wash too, due to thier design is more difficult for normal serving and dismantle parts.

Against like Mit Starmex was more less troubleshoot on dismantle parts to keep it normal clean, still able to remove out fan blower as well.

Talks about 2nd hand resale value like those Aircon man or contraction they might be quote you higher price on Starmex as well.

Cause due to less often with chemical wash, so the cooling coil fins coating may lesser damaged or less dirty stucks over.

Even ppls will look more on Starmex rather than asking on others brands. (For GE model only and except the previous design)

Parts for all was the same, in exprience from Aircon man they will said Daikin more expansive parts than others.

Why often do will chemical wash?
The answer was do more chemical wash can be spoil the original aluminum cooling coil fins and more easier to stuck dust in future.

Once you has done over chemical wash before guaranty you should do within 9 mths later.

Last edited:

terumo

Reaction score
To clipper,

Best is the gas & discharge pipe to be insulated individually with min 3/8 insulation.
However, there are people who insulated both in a 1/2 insulation.
This is not recommended by the manufacturers, but if its 1/2, chances of condensation is lower. If its 3/8 then its not acceptable.

super365

Master Member
Reaction score
Just tells your something on Aircons, like those hair saloon should prefer on Panasonic can be solve less often with chemical wash an issue, cause thier cooling coil will be slighly bigger gap to avoid more hairs stuck out.

Like Daikin, LG, Fujitsu or MHI might be more often to do with chemical wash too, due to thier design is more difficult for normal serving and dismantle parts.

Against like Mit Starmex was more less troubleshoot on dismantle parts to keep it normal clean, still able to remove out fan blower as well.

Talks about 2nd hand resale value like those Aircon man or contraction they might be quote you higher price on Starmex as well.

Cause due to less often with chemical wash, so the cooling coil fins coating may lesser damaged or less dirty stucks over.

Even ppls will look more on Starmex rather than asking on others brands. (For GE model only and except the previous design)

Parts for all was the same, in exprience from Aircon man they will said Daikin more expansive parts than others.

Why often do will chemical wash?
The answer was do more chemical wash can be spoil the original aluminum cooling coil fins and more easier to stuck dust in future.

Once you has done over chemical wash before guaranty you should do within 9 mths later.

1. Do you mean Mit Starmex I can remove the fan blower myself?

2. What do you mean "Against like Mit Starmex was more less troubleshoot on dismantle parts to keep it normal clean"? Starmex is most easy to clean? Is Starmex better or worse than other brands?

3. What do you mean "Even ppls will look more on Starmex rather than asking on others brands.", Starmex easy to clean why look down on it? Maybe I dont understand correctly.

kimsim

Suspended
Reaction score
1. Do you mean Mit Starmex I can remove the fan blower myself?

2. What do you mean "Against like Mit Starmex was more less troubleshoot on dismantle parts to keep it normal clean"? Starmex is most easy to clean? Is Starmex better or worse than other brands?

3. What do you mean "Even ppls will look more on Starmex rather than asking on others brands.", Starmex easy to clean why look down on it? Maybe I dont understand correctly.

No I just said the better point from ME Starmex will be much better than others Japanese brands.

Even resale in market from ME Starmex GE model will be much higher value than others brand too.

Such as dismantle parts : like fan blower, drain pan design from ME Starmex was much easier taken out than others Japan brands too.

IF you know how to do it by own for interval 3 mths by own maintenace should prefer ME Starmex GE model only.

Otherwise just let ppls who able to services for you.

raysusan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any good single spilt until to recommend? I notice most salesman reluctant to serve me when I ask for single spilt

STREAM2

Reaction score
Up up this thread....still no comments.

No one used Redcon Air before ?
Are they new or how long in this business ?
---------------

Hi,
I can see Redcon Air quite active here....

Anyone used them before for installation of aircon ?
And how is the workmanship?

BTW, how long are they in the business ? .... as unable to find their company website and no info.

==============================

terumo

Reaction score
To raysusan,

Single system not much price difference, can consider Mitsubishi Electric or Daikin.

leaving_footsteps

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My current aircon pipes are concealed behind my wardrobe.

Are there any aircon contractor who are able to disassemble and reassemble my wardrobe to change the pipes?

lyfeforce

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
My current aircon pipes are concealed behind my wardrobe.

Are there any aircon contractor who are able to disassemble and reassemble my wardrobe to change the pipes?

That's why I made sure none of my pipes ran behind built in wardrobes. It's a big hassle should the pipes need changing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.