Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

STREAM2

Reaction score
Hi,
My current aircon system was installed by Gain City 12 years with a junction box.
Consist of a system 4 (one outdoor compressor) with 5 indoor units.
They added a so-call Junction Box next to outdoor unit.
Gain City told me my master room unit is linked with my Dining area unit.
And the two bedrooms are linked with my Living area unit.
I should not turn on Living and Dining if all 3 bedrooms unit are running and vice versa.
So if we have visitors or guest , we turn on Living and Dining and don't turn on the bedrooms' units.

Is such Junction Box still avail nowadays and what are disadvantages ?

Cos one aircon guy told me such boxes will cause cooling capacity to be reduced.

Hi Kimsim,
The brand is Toshiba.
I am not thinking of repairing as already 12years old....planning to change to new ME Starmex.

What GainCity did 12years ago works well for me but many people don't mention such junction box or maybe called a distributor.
-- if I run two units in Living and Dining, I just don't turn on any 3bedrooms units.
-- if I run 3bedrooms, I just don't turn on Living+Dining units.
(the box just direct the cooling to the units been turned on first...)

I don't think I will run all 5 indoors at the same time so no point buying Sys5 or Sys3+2.

Does Mit Elec has such distributor box ? ( that means Sys 4 installed with 5 indoors units)

I will take a photo of the distributor box that is with my 12yr old Toshiba compressor and show you guys tomorrow.

kimsim

Suspended
Reaction score
Hi Kimsim,
The brand is Toshiba.
I am not thinking of repairing as already 12years old....planning to change to new ME Starmex.

What GainCity did 12years ago works well for me but many people don't mention such junction box or maybe called a distributor.
-- if I run two units in Living and Dining, I just don't turn on any 3bedrooms units.
-- if I run 3bedrooms, I just don't turn on Living+Dining units.
(the box just direct the cooling to the units been turned on first...)

I don't think I will run all 5 indoors at the same time so no point buying Sys5 or Sys3+2.

Does Mit Elec has such distributor box ? ( that means Sys 4 installed with 5 indoors units)

I will take a photo of the distributor box that is with my 12yr old Toshiba compressor and show you guys tomorrow.

Actually you not need what system 5, go with ME Starmex 4A38VA with full load without current limitation should be work well

At least 4A38Va outdoor still made in Japan
A82158E2-CB98-4A08-BDB4-7865DC9F1550_zpsgkhokiln.jpg

STREAM2

Reaction score
Actually you not need what system 5, go with ME Starmex 4A38VA with full load without current limitation should be work well
At least 4A38Va outdoor still made in Japan

You mean 4A38A with four indoors?
3 X GE10VA for three bedrooms and Living/Dining use what size?

One contractor suggested 4A28VA with 3 X GE10VA and GE24VA.

My place is a HDB.

kimsim

Suspended
Reaction score
You mean 4A38A with four indoors?
3 X GE10VA for three bedrooms and Living/Dining use what size?

One contractor suggested 4A28VA with 3 X GE10VA and GE24VA.

My place is a HDB.

10x3 + 24 or 26 should be prefect match

Webbyboy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Toshiba is quite hard to find parts and also phase out in sg markets already.

Just look at used or 2nd hand Aircon shop will do.

If Toshiba ac phase out of sg, meaning Carrier will exit as well?:s11:

zeroboi

Reaction score
Noted with thanks!

By the way, GainCity is the only firm that requires you to upgrade piping to Grade 22 when you upgrade the insulation to 1/2 inch. Cost about $240 for system 4.

To thesingingbard,

I heard u... :)

To zeroboi,

1/2 insulation will make the trunking bigger.
G22 is thicker and harder to twist, this is better in terms of preventing gas leakage.
If the installers are using bender to twist, shouldn't be an issue, unless they are using bare hands.

hardwarezone1959

Reaction score
Hi LittleBB,

I am also into replacing my old mit non-inverted air con. I have been looking around and I found a quote for a Mit Starmex system 3 for S$2800 including replacing the old piping from STL Air Conditioning. Check out their web site. They provide a link to "BCA Academy of the Built Environment" which contain a list of all qualified air con installers. Impressive, eh!! The Mit starmex has got 2 ticks rating for energy efficiency. I also check out on Dakin Inverter Multi-Split System 3 (R410A) which has a 3 ticks rating which translates to a annual energy cost of S$643 as compare to Mit Starmex of S$1060. Quoted for S$2680.

I am thinking of buying Dakin based of energy rating. Any kind soul out there can give comment whether it is a good choice?? TIA.

kimsim

Suspended
Reaction score
Hi LittleBB,

I am also into replacing my old mit non-inverted air con. I have been looking around and I found a quote for a Mit Starmex system 3 for S$2800 including replacing the old piping from STL Air Conditioning. Check out their web site. They provide a link to "BCA Academy of the Built Environment" which contain a list of all qualified air con installers. Impressive, eh!! The Mit starmex has got 2 ticks rating for energy efficiency. I also check out on Dakin Inverter Multi-Split System 3 (R410A) which has a 3 ticks rating which translates to a annual energy cost of S$643 as compare to Mit Starmex of S$1060. Quoted for S$2680.

I am thinking of buying Dakin based of energy rating. Any kind soul out there can give comment whether it is a good choice?? TIA.

If you compres from 3MDK50 really lower capacity for 18k btu only to compare from 3MDK75 = 28 btu equally to 3A28VA ME, but both also 2 ticks

hardwarezone1959

Reaction score
Hi ekardo,

I am new here. Did you eventually buy Mit Starmex or Dakin? Can share what is their performance? I am also looking into these 2 brands. I have checked the 2 out. For energy saving Dakin is the best. Annual energy cost for Daikin is S$643 as compare to S$1060 for Mit Starmex. Some folks prefer MIT Starmex because it is easy to do self cleaning. Would be grate to hear from you regarding the performance of your new air con. Be it Mit Starmex or Daikin.

rgds, n thxs,
yip

hardwarezone1959

Reaction score
Hi Kimsim,

Thanks your reply;

The Daikin CU is 3MKS50ESG which has a 3 ticks energy rating. The Daikin FC is FTKS25DVM rated as 9K BTU.

Are you saying 3MKS50ESG has capacity for 18K BTU? But this is a system 3 unit. With each unit of FC is 9K BTU then 3 units is 27K BTU. Hence, 3MKS50ESG should be able to support the 3 FC units.

If you compres from 3MDK50 really lower capacity for 18k btu only to compare from 3MDK75 = 28 btu equally to 3A28VA ME, but both also 2 ticks

kimsim

Suspended
Reaction score
Hi Kimsim,

Thanks your reply;

The Daikin CU is 3MKS50ESG which has a 3 ticks energy rating. The Daikin FC is FTKS25DVM rated as 9K BTU.

Are you saying 3MKS50ESG has capacity for 18K BTU? But this is a system 3 unit. With each unit of FC is 9K BTU then 3 units is 27K BTU. Hence, 3MKS50ESG should be able to support the 3 FC units.

Get 3MDK50 is design for additional extra room.
Either u turn on master bedroom & common or either master bedroom or guest room only.

There only design for 2 Rooms on each operation, if turn on 3 rooms total the cooling won't be efficeint like turns on 2 only on same time

That model of 3MDK50 = 17k btu / 3 = 5.67k btu on each rooms, unless you don't mind on hot weather.
50 meaning for 5.0kw cooling x 3412 = 17060 btu only.

Last edited:

terumo

Reaction score
To hardwarezone1959,

For the 3mks50, if you on all 3 of the 9k btu fancoil at the same time, they will perform as per 6k btu only, as max output at anytime is 18k in total.

kawatsu

Master Member
Reaction score
Can check if i have a split system shared to another room. Can i just change to a single unit without affecting the other room ?

Or need to change both aircons?

kimsim

Suspended
Reaction score
Can check if i have a split system shared to another room. Can i just change to a single unit without affecting the other room ?

Or need to change both aircons?

System 2 have individual piping, even you change outdoor into single split there won't affecting to another room, just the other room can't be used at all only.

kawatsu

Master Member
Reaction score
System 2 have individual piping, even you change outdoor into single split there won't affecting to another room, just the other room can't be used at all only.

Ok, thanks thanks!

So its just another extra compressor?

Think going to change my room to single ME Starmex and just let my sis's room continue using the current split unit.

kimsim

Suspended
Reaction score
Ok, thanks thanks!

So its just another extra compressor?

Think going to change my room to single ME Starmex and just let my sis's room continue using the current split unit.

If your Aircon leadge still got free space to allow install new condenser should be as well.

Cause unlike landed properties can install anywhere for single split will works fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.